Quadcopter throttle management - is this the easiest way?

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
hsg

Quadcopter throttle management - is this the easiest way?

Post by hsg »

I've had a couple of crashes with my APM quadcopter where I've ended up with the throttle at zero, resulting in the motors stopping and not being able to restart quickly enough to avoid a crash. Either I accidentally pulled the throttle too low in fast descents, or I accidentally switched from a mode where the throttle is automatically controlled to a mode where it's manually controlled, with the stick at the bottom! Sounds a pretty stupid thing to do but I've managed it twice and I'm sure I'm not alone. I want to set up a mix to help get around this.

If I'm flying in manual throttle (Stabilise) mode then I want there to be a delay if I accidentally place the throttle to zero, to prevent the motors stopping and the copter falling out of the sky. This shouldn't apply if I'm in an automatic throttle mode (altitude hold) because there the stick controls the descent rate and the autopilot (APM) won't stop the motors. But, if I swap into manual mode from auto mode, then this needs to be accounted for.

I'm new to this mixing, but I've got this working with the following mix.

SW1 = v<ofs THR -80
SW2 = AND THR SW1
SW3 = v<ofs CH5 -50
SW4 = AND SW2 SW3

CH03 +100%THR
-100%THR Switch(SW4) Offset(80%)
+100%THR Switch(SW4) Offset(80%) Delay(u5:d5)

This means that if I have the THR switch off then the throttle output behaves normally. If I put it on, then when I raise the throttle and fly around in manual throttle mode, if I should mistakenly put the stick to the bottom the output will "bottom out" at 10% for five seconds before cutting out, hopefully keeping the motors spinning so they recover quicker. If I'm in altitude hold mode this doesn't apply and the stick maps to the output as normal. If I'm in altitude hold mode with the stick at the bottom, so output is zero (but the autopilot has control) and then I switch in to manual mode - the throttle will be brought up to 10% for 5 seconds which should hopefully keep the motors spinning whilst I realise my mistake and bring the stick back up.

This is my first attempt at mixing in er9x. It seems to work in EEPE but before I try it for real I just wanted to show it to some more experienced eyes to see if anyone can spot any problems! The 80% and 50% numbers will need tweaking I'm sure.

Thanks,
Harry

Kilrah

Re: Quadcopter throttle management - is this the easiest way

Post by Kilrah »

What many do is to set up a switch to apply a curve on the throttle that limits the lower range such as putting the stick at the bottom still keeps the signal above the "off" point.

Envoyé depuis mon S6 en utilisant Tapatalk 4
hsg

Post by hsg »

Yeah - I thought about doing that. The curve would need linking to a switch so it only applied in the manual modes, otherwise you couldn't get the full available descent rates in the automatic modes. Also, I couldn't see a way of doing this while keeping the rest of the curve linear?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No problem tou couple this to positions of the mode switch(es) using custom switches.
And with a custom curve you can of course make it linear easily.

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”