TelemetrEZ for the 9xr?

Hardware Support for the 9XR

Would you purchase a TelemetrEZ for your 9xr as laid out here?

yes
69%
no
19%
I just like to answer polls I have no real interest in.
12%

Total votes: 26

s_mack

TelemetrEZ for the 9xr?

Post by s_mack »

I developed TelemetrEZ (see PS below) for the 9x last year. The 9xr, as we all know, uses very similar hardware. Technically, TelemetrEZ is compatible... but really its not. It physically won't fit and the connections are all different. It wouldn't take much on my part to design a 9xr compatible version and I have the concept done. I've had a handful of requests, but really maybe 10-12 tops. At this point I have decided NOT to release a 9xr version but that doesn't mean my mind can't be changed. If there's considerable interest shown, I can do it. Keep in mind, however, that the cost will be more than the 9x version because (unless I'm really wrong) the demand is much lower and the design is more expensive. My guess is $35 to $40.

I'm assuming this is a no-go, but I put the poll here just in case I'm wrong. If you see this and are interested (or even if you're not) and you think of other forums where 9xr people are, please send them to this poll as this is the only place I'm posting it.

- Steven (SmartieParts)

PS. What is TelemetrEZ? Its an add-on board that let's you easily add FrSky telemetry output to your tx's main display without any soldering. It makes the hardest part of adding Telemetry...well, EZ :)

renatoa

Re: TelemetrEZ for the 9xr?

Post by renatoa »

The no soldering part comes with a drawback though, holes in the case to route telemetry signals from the module telemetry port.
Not all likes this approach, and developed a no holes, no external wires solution, but implying some serious hardcore mods inside the module, to route signals via the unused module pins.
A bit off-topic just to let people know there are approaches maybe they didn't heard so far.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I can't really agree with your wording, but I get what you're saying. Being solderless is a huge feature. And yes, to have the complete setup 100% solderless, a single hole is required and a wire run to the outside. But for those that don't want it, they can simply choose to do that part of the soldering. That's where I have a small problem with your wording - it implies that by choosing TelemetrEZ, you *have* to have a hole and a wire running outside. Like just about everything else in this hobby and life in general, its not an all-or-nothing situation. By far the most "serious hardcore" mods involved with Telemetry is the very fine soldering required to connect the telemetry to the 9x (or 9xr) unused pins. TelemetrEZ takes care of that. Avoiding the hole/wire is a tiny compromise for those that don't want ANY soldering, but for many... THAT soldering is dead simple. Its not "serious hardcore" at all. Just open the module, and solder two wires to two relatively large points. Nothing at all in comparison to the tiny pins on the radio. My installation instructions discuss this option as well.

I'm also not sure why you'd bring this up as "approaches maybe they didn't heard so far"... what you're describing isn't a novel method, it was the only method prior to TelemetrEZ. It was just damned difficult, hence the development of TelemetrEZ. I think people are quite aware that they can DIY if they want... those mods have been discussed exhaustively for years. What I'm saying is you're wording it like TelemetrEZ came first and DIY came second and the people should know that. But the reverse is true and its far FAR more likely that someone's aware of the original/difficult way of doing it and has never heard of TelemetrEZ. So if your mission is to make people aware of options, I'd think you'd be spreading the word of TelemetrEZ rather than attempting to detract from it in a simple poll to determine if there's enough demand for a 9xr version.
wbortz

Post by wbortz »

Any chance you can add an SD add slot for recording telemetry data?
CupraSA

Post by CupraSA »

Hi, I want to take my TelemetrEZ out of my 9x and put it in my 9XR. Are there any guides on how to do this or should I rather go with the other telemetry mods out there?

thanks

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can't, it won't fit mechanically and the connections are different. That's the reason for this thread, discussing about the possibility of redesigning one for the 9xr.

Sent via mobile
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well... I don't believe it is possible.

Only current option is the original style of mod!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

It is *possible*... but not at all practical. Every single wire has to be manually spliced in with the corresponding 9xr wire. The only place the module will physically fit, with some modification, is in the battery bay, and only if you use a very small battery that will fit with it.

The (lack of) interest in this thread shows there's not enough demand for a 9xr module, sorry.

- Steven
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I just went to 3 other boards and ask them to come over here and vote YES, so Steven can do this for all of us.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I appreciate that, but this poll was started back in April when the 9xr was a hotly discussed radio and it still got next to no attention. Now its a fringe radio. As I said in my last post, there's just not enough interest for this to be possible.

In fact, I was very close to discontinuing the TelemetrEZ for the 9x - which I'm sure still outsells the 9xr by at least 10:1. I decided in the end to do one more batch. But I just can't imagine it will be feasible for the 9xr. Sorry.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I thank you Steven for what you have already done. I already have the smartie parts board 2.3 for my 9x and am going to order the telemetrez on Wednesday, so I have my name on the preorder list. I really wish there was more interest in this for the 9xr cause I am uncomfortable with soldering.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I understand. At one point I had decided "what the heck... let's just build it" because I thought it would really be minimal design effort given that the electrical design is already done (virtually the same as the 9x). But the problem then became the extremely limited internal space the 9xr provides. I tried different things for 2 days and did finally come up with a working design... but the manufacturing costs would have been more than triple what it is for the 9x. That, combined with near-zero demand, meant this project was really never going to fly for the 9xr.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Just a motivational post about the soldering comment.

For the price of $7.39 for a new 9XR main board it's worth learning to solder.
Whats the worse that can happen, loss of the $ for it.
IMO if your going to stay in this hobby that's been dominated by electronic devices you'll have to learn to solder at some point or pay someone at their rate every time some connection or switch ect breaks.
It's common place at my local hobby shop to see the sales person charging $5 a solder connection and people lined up waiting. The RC car guy makes more an hour soldering than the shop pays him.
I teach soldering at my local field when ever asked to make a repair.
A $15 HK soldering station is good to own, maybe $22 to the door!
Many are now replacing their broken tx switches, tx antennas, and esc connectors on their own. I've taught several how to do clean 9x telemetry mods on a picnic table at the field. They now work on other members systems and mods.
My advice is to seek out someone that can solder well and have them teach you the correct way to make shinny solder connections and the tips on soldering wires to connections.
Club, friends, family, utube, or a 16 year old at the rc car counter at the hobby shop cleaning up.
Like RC flying practice makes perfect and once mastered your in control.
Give it a try. Maybe you'll get $5 a solder connection!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Lol. I had no idea they were selling replacement boards for only $7.39 ($6.22 if you wait long enough)! I don't quite know what that says. Even at huge volume, that chip that's on there wholesales for a couple bucks. They must have a ton of surplus and just want them gone.

Anyway, at that price... yeah, one can afford to practice and screw up. That said, the $15 soldering iron HK sells isn't, in my opinion, suitable for the soldering required to make the telemetry connections. Can you do it? I'm sure some people have. I wouldn't feel all that comfortable doing it with that equipment. At the very least, a finer tip should be used. And some decent magnification.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The HK is a knockoff of the Hakko without a tempeture readout. It's adjustable and all the Hakko tips fit it.
I bought a large chisel tip for Deans and a smt tip for fine work.
I own $150-$200 brand name irons but actually used it for all my mods until I upgraded to a smt hot air station.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378146962.763625.jpg
This is what I use now but I still use the HK at the rc field on a 12v to 120v inverter.
My typical 9X telemetry, backlight, haptic mods before soldering on the USBasp programming cable.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378146894.192751.jpg
To me the iron is the same on both.
Again, soldering with any iron requires practice and a good assortment of tips, $15 or $200 won't change that.
I'm not interested but I'm wondering why someone isn't modifying the spare 9xr boards for telemetry on a board exchange +$ price and making a business out out of it?
Probably both boards and a DJT module needs to be done to make it a PNP kit.
I owned 2 SP ver 2.1 boards still that I modified for Frsky telemetry and HK BL control to press them into service for locals. They work well and were before the EZ board.
In any case, I'd recommend this iron as a first one to buy if your on a budget and need an OK iron. Of course the real Hakko at $100 is nice also.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I wasn't down on the iron... just that you'd need tips for it to make it useful. The one it comes with is unsuitable for that kind of work. You can get hakko compatible tips for cheap on ebay though.

Given that the 9xr boards are so cheap, you're right that it makes sense to pre-mod them. But time is money, right? I'd expect if anyone did it, it would cost more than a TelemetrEZ. However, given that I'm not going to make a TelemetrEZ for the 9xr... its certainly not a bad idea by any measure.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I understand it was meant to be constructive about the iron.
Yes pre wiring and soldering a board to sell would be costly but I believe I bought my first SP board for $45 + shipping and was glad I did because it worked many years ago.
For many if soldering isn't an option they may be OK with a higher price to get the telemetry. The popular skyboard was a bargain for what it does but doubled the investment in the system. If it could be installed in a higher end case it honestly would be serious competition for the taranis! Only 40 model memories but better display option, haptic, full disclosure of all design schematics and board layout. I'll get in trouble posting this but it's almost like the Taranis duplicated the sky board with a few upgrades and left a few other options out?
Another topic, another thread.

Back on topic, for now soldering is the only option for the 9XR who ever does it. If the person was in my RC club we'd do it together and you'd owe me a happy meal. If not in the club the cost is $25 to join plus AMA insurance. It's a hook to suck them in!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

"only 40 model memories" lol. Such limitations! (sarcasm). I agree with you on all points. I was just saying I'm not sure I'd advise it as a business. If you can get it done for you for a happy meal, then perfect!

$25 for your club? Ours is 8 times that.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I belong to another club that's more in the country @$65/year. No height limitations
The $25 a year club is on parks land so anyone can fly. We organized so we had money for improvements not provided like 2000 amps of 12vdc power with solar and generator backup.
A 24/7 weather station that reports to the Internet.
Weekends are a zoo so I go to the country private field and relax.
As for the low price of repair and modifications it's my way of helping the club out. I don't really like helping repair potholes in the runway when it's 100+ degs.
Thanks to freelance work in the tv industry I don't have to live on my repair work, yet! I may change that for the new year. Less work.
As for 9XR mods, that's why I was trying to suggest that in most organized flying groups or clubs, there's usually a few that are technical and can solder well.
If these persons are found they may be interested in doing the mods or teaching soldering and circuit repairs.
One of my club members has setup a weekend soldering school at his business and the club members get hands on teaching for free. Pretty nice of him.
For most however buying a pre modified or add on board is the best answer if its available.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

The 9xr telemetry mods do not require you to solder to the chip pins. There are several spots on the board that you can solder to instead. It is much easier and the HK solder station is quite capable of doing the job.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Can you provide a link showing instructions that reflect what you're saying? My 9xr didn't have any "spots" (pads) for the two telemetry pins. But I one from of the very earliest, so who knows. I did trace them to a different chip that had slightly larger feet, but still not something I'd consider "'much easier". Got a link? post away... this project is dead anyway, so I don't mind.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think you will find the two CPU pins track to U6 pins 10 and 11, both of which have a via just beside the pins of U6.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Ah yes... vias. That's where consistency of manufacturing quality comes to play. But yes, if you're doing it by hand and your via is exposed and/or you're willing to scrape... then that's just fine.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

s_mack wrote: if you're doing it by hand and your via is exposed and/or you're willing to scrape... then that's just fine.
:o :o :shock: Are you sure? :|
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I'm not if you're not :)

Its all down to your comfort level.

In case I wasn't clear: my point was that sometimes vias (which are a plated hole connecting the front and back sides of a circuit board) get covered, usually unintentionally, with the solder mask material. There's copper underneath, but you have to scrape off the material to expose it. Except as a one-off DIY repair method, I personally don't consider vias to be a reliable point of connection. I mean you shouldn't really post instructions that say, "solder to this via" because there's really no assurance that all (or even most) of the people trying it will have the via sufficiently exposed.

But for what we're talking about here... given the cost... failure isn't a big deal.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I tried the telemetry mod on two of my 9xs and had some difficulty soldering to the chip pins - a combination of my lack of skill and, given the commentary here, possibly inadequate equipment. So I bought a TEZ board.

On the other hand I have successfully modified 5 9XR boards, 2 of mine and 3 for friends. Connection to the vias has been without difficulty, access is easy and soldering to them posed me no problems. Nothing had to be cleaned off. If I can manage it, I reckon most others would have no worries.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Is the mod for the 9XR on the wiki somewhere? This is the kind of thing the wiki was meant for.
-Gohst
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

That's good to know mpjf01. That indicates that either the quality of production is relatively good on those boards, or (more likely) the design was such that they used very forgiving (ie. large) vias. Whether that was by random chance, or by default of software, or by good design... who knows. But if you're 5 for 5 then I suspect most people should be OK.

Gohst - good call. Someone should throw specific instructions up on the wiki to make it a no-brainer for those that want to follow.

- Steven
backman8571

Post by backman8571 »

Yes please show us the mods

Or if one of you are willing to do it for me i ship my radio to you and back plus your fee

Per
backman8571

Post by backman8571 »

If i pay shipping and handling both directions and a fee would you concider doing the telemetry mods for me

Per

ShowMaster wrote:The HK is a knockoff of the Hakko without a tempeture readout. It's adjustable and all the Hakko tips fit it.
I bought a large chisel tip for Deans and a smt tip for fine work.
I own $150-$200 brand name irons but actually used it for all my mods until I upgraded to a smt hot air station.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378146962.763625.jpg
This is what I use now but I still use the HK at the rc field on a 12v to 120v inverter.
My typical 9X telemetry, backlight, haptic mods before soldering on the USBasp programming cable.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378146894.192751.jpg
To me the iron is the same on both.
Again, soldering with any iron requires practice and a good assortment of tips, $15 or $200 won't change that.
I'm not interested but I'm wondering why someone isn't modifying the spare 9xr boards for telemetry on a board exchange +$ price and making a business out out of it?
Probably both boards and a DJT module needs to be done to make it a PNP kit.
I owned 2 SP ver 2.1 boards still that I modified for Frsky telemetry and HK BL control to press them into service for locals. They work well and were before the EZ board.
In any case, I'd recommend this iron as a first one to buy if your on a budget and need an OK iron. Of course the real Hakko at $100 is nice also.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”