using 4-ch template results in 8 ppm channels

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
rperkins

using 4-ch template results in 8 ppm channels

Post by rperkins »

Hi
I'm just learning the depths of er9x so this is just probably the way it should be or I did something wrong

I wanted to create a 4ch model.
  • went to empty ' slot' on radio
  • long right click. It populates some standard settings and call it 'MODEL01'
  • right click to the templates page
  • scroll to the bottom and verify channel order
  • up click to 'Simple 4-ch'
  • long menu click to select the 'Simple 4-ch' template
  • long exit click to exit template menu. Still shows MODEL01
  • long right click brings up MODELSEL, MODEL01 highlighted
  • right click enters setup for MODEL01
  • down click to 'Proto PPM'
Current behavior is to see 8CH
Expected behavior is to see 4CH

This may not be a concern in normal situations. The IR module I built to fly a S107 helicopter is setup for a 4CH PPM stream. It was acting glitchy with the 8CH stream. After I backed it down to 4CH things were better. My goal is to make easy instructions to generate a model to use the IR module.

Do most TX send 8CH PPM, particularly JR module compatible radios ? Do most radios just transmit a fixed number of channels ? the 9X is the only radio I've ever used.

I could increase the number of channels the IR module captures, but the capture code occurs in an interrupt so I believe it's beneficial to keep that portion of code short as possible. On the other hand I want the code to work in as many TX as possible and probably most TX arent as flexible as the 9X

thanks

Kilrah

Re: using 4-ch template results in 8 ppm channels

Post by Kilrah »

Yes, most radios send an 8-channel PPM stream even if they actually give fewer to the user. Your module should behave correctly with 8CH, otherwise it will cause the same kind of frustrations we can read every week with users having trouble with the chinese simulator dongles that misbehave when PPM has more than 6CH.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

The short answer is that applying a template only affects the mixers, not the radio setup.
So if you want 4 ch PPM, and possibly at a different frame rate and delay, you would set it separately.

You could then copy this model to another slot to have everything preset the way you want, then apply a new template (like elevons for example) if that is what your particular model needs.

Pat MacKenzie
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Kilrah wrote: Your module should behave correctly with 8CH, otherwise it will cause the same kind of frustrations we can read every week with users having trouble with the chinese simulator dongles that misbehave when PPM has more than 6CH.
Thanks. This is the information I was looking for. I'll add it to the to-do list.

And thanks Pat for the insight to the model setup. I'm just learning about all this kinds of stuff. Just this week was looking up the difference between an aileron and and elevator. Heck I couldnt even spell aileron :)

Return to “er9x”