Turnigyh 9x + FrSky Telemitry + Amplifier??

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
parad0x

Turnigyh 9x + FrSky Telemitry + Amplifier??

Post by parad0x »

Hey guys I am looking to purchase the turnigy9x like asap by completing my order but after days of researching I cant figure out which list of products goes best together. I am looking to do FPV fairly long range (4-6km reliably) without breaking the bank.

I want to get an Amplifier in the future potentially a 1W or maybe even a 2W (though might be a bit overkill from what i've read). was hoping you guys could give me the Go ahead with which combination that will be best to purchase and a green light it will work.

1) I want to get the Radio first http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ware_.html

2) I am not sure which telemetry Module to purchase for 9x radio that works well with telemetry + External amplifier (1w / 2w, etc). Ideas? I was thinking either the DIY kit and installing the antenna inside the unit ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... odule.html ) which I looked up online and looks easy to install/solder to board. I read that soldering the 3 wires actually displays Telemetry on the Tx provided er9x is installed etc, but how would you install the external 1w or 2w antenna amplifier would this complicate things?
OR
The second candidate which is getting the smart module on the back of the radio (*Believe this DJT-ii is the right one correct? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... le_RX.html ) so you dont have to do the modifications and instead places an antenna on the back of the module outside of the radio and not using the default inside radio antenna location and my question is would this make the External Amplifier (2w 1w) installation easier? since the antenna would be outside of the radio and on the external module wouldn't make installation a breeze? And the Telemetry information would be dispalyed on a seperate external display, would there be any set backs with using external display as opposed to being displayed/integrated into Tx?? any setback or advantages with regards to fail safes, features, neatness, etc?

heres a link to a 1w amplifier http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?mai ... 92f3b29021 but I've read about this 2w amplifier and think I like it the most http://www.ebay.com/itm/2W-WiFi-Wireles ... 19c31feccd

Kilrah

Re: Turnigyh 9x + FrSky Telemitry + Amplifier??

Post by Kilrah »

Just be aware that if you install an amplifier you'll probably lose telemetry down link, or at least have it only on a limited part of your range.

Sent via mobile
kaos

Post by kaos »

Can Frysky module go 4-6 KM reliably? from the Frysky web site it is only for up to 3KM.
I am looking at Remlec module now for > 15KM range, but the telemetry info has to come from OSD with cloverleaf (Tx) and spiral antenna (Rx) to get OSD telemetry data from 15KM.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:Can Frysky module go 4-6 KM reliably?
Not without an amplifier, but that's what he mentions he wants to do ;)
parad0x

Post by parad0x »

thanks for the responses, and yes the frsky module if amplified is good for 40+km's, I think I even saw a video of someone doing 65 or 75km's ?? of course he was using patch antennas with very narrow band and a 2w amplifier, nonetheless. I think I might be making a move towards an experimental relatively affordable UHF unit anyways, thanks for the inputs though guys.

kaos

Post by kaos »

then add an amplifer on the rx too. ;)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Please keep the exposure close to your face and eyes low! You'll thank me some years down the line for not needing premature cataract surgery.
Am I wrong, let's check back in some years from now? Add that to cell phone exposure and it could be trouble. All to the head, face, and eye area.
SM
JakeStew

Post by JakeStew »

LOL, you can put your tin hat away. RF energy has been studied much more extensively than probably anything else you're exposed to.

Non-ionizing radiation like 2G/microwaves have no health issues. Your only danger from them is being exposed to the point that you're actually heated to a lethal temperature.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Studied by the cell phone companies?
Studied high power close to the eyes?
My ham radio license renewal requires I read and understand the effects of rf energy and health issues. It also that I understand that I should use the lowest power required for good communication quality even though I can use powers up to several kilowatts.
So...
I'm sitting here right now at a table of ham radio operators spanning many years of experience and carried technical and rf backgrounds and they agree with me about prolonged exposure to rf close to the face and eyes.
I'm siding with them on this one.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Update, I'm talking more about high power 433Mhz close to the face and eyes.
SM

JakeStew

Post by JakeStew »

There's just no reason to worry. Radio waves stream through you constantly at all frequencies.

The only danger ever found with non-ionizing radiation like this is from heating. I've done a little research in this area since people are constantly wanting to use microwaves for sterilization. I have to explain to them that although it's been tried plenty it won't work because the only sterilizing power from a microwave comes from the heating it produces and it just doesn't produce this evenly enough to be effective.

A lot of cell phone studies have also been completed in the last few years and found nothing. While you can never say something carries zero risk, it's been studied enough to conclusively say that if there is any risk that it is well below the threshold of concern.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Can't argue this any more.
Since any damage that could occur could take some years to surface it becomes a waste of forum time to discuss it any more.
Both sides of the issue have been argued, not much more can be done at this point.
SM

JakeStew

Post by JakeStew »

Not really an "sides" to argue, the scientific evidence is clear. There's no danger.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Then it's settled, it's safe!
A person with and alias of ShowMaster has concern and another with an alias of JakeStew has none.
Can't get any more factual then that on an RC forum.
All disagreements should be settled this easy.
I'm hoping this doesn't say that all caution concerning rf should be abandoned, but again it shouldn't matter so we're all good.
Sm

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”