ERSKY9X Now Shipping

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
SkyNorth

ERSKY9X Now Shipping

Post by SkyNorth »

Hi,.
The boards are finally done :mrgreen: ....well almost , I need to add a couple parts , and then program the ARM and AVR
After that , I need to test all the inputs and outputs , sound , serial ports , audio ....
I have a backorder of about 30 .. so I have some catching up to do....

-Brent
http://www.ersky9x.net

cre8tiveleo

Re: ERSKY9X Now Shipping

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Woot! Woot!

Gonna be a lot o happy people out there soon!

:D
wallaguest1

Post by wallaguest1 »

an USB <---> Din Cable
would be a nice extra
Lenop

Post by Lenop »

good luck on the testing! Can't wait to place the order. (you have got mail ;) )
preston91

Post by preston91 »

just got a new FS-TH9x today for this project. looking forward to many exciting things!!!

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Quality control!

Boots and all switches ... Check!

:mrgreen:

... and checking sound once the speakers are all crimped and soldered...

It was a productive day... It was great being able to help out Brent get all those boards populated, and tested.
Everyone who get's one will be pleased. He performs a final test before boxing and shipping.

Soooo exciting!

C.L.
;)
Totoff

Post by Totoff »

Congratulations for this huge work !
I have also a second T9x ready for this board and I'm looking forward to test it..
olafnew

Post by olafnew »

How do you actually purchase one? On the website there is no available option to purchase http://www.ersky9x.net/Products.html . Is there any backorder system available? I've being tracking the progress on these boards almost from a start, unfortunately missed an opportunity to become a beta tester, but now, i'm hoping to get one and play with it. Really looking forward to start the project, and design a custom case for ersky board with usage of lipo batteries, aurora gimbals, and good quality switches.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

If you send me a email or a PM I will get back to you about a board , they are half spoken for.
I'm just trying to get them all ready.

-Brent
olafnew

Post by olafnew »

Brent - i've already sent you an email, hope to see the boards soons! Really looking forward! As i believe - this is the greatest upgrade possible for the 9x TX. This will be the starting point for designing the custom case for the TX.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Please, don't take me wrong but reading all the upgrades for the 9x I have to laugh
ersky9x board. Brent has done a great job. I only don't get one at the moment cos I can't afford it..
Aurora gimbles
Custom Case
Better switches and pots
New LCD

What I find funny is:
There's no more 9x left.. everything was replaced. Not even a single cable.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You doin't actually need to buy a 9x.. It'll be a complete new radio. Might as well have the name changed ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

I did not follow this at all. but it looks like this board has everything I needed. :)
have a few dumb question here. In Wiki I read there is a ersk72 firmware, but in the ersky web site it stated, it runs er9x and open9X. what does it run on actually?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

There are two firmwares for the sky9x board. (I actually think it should be referred to as sky9x rather than ersky9x as it saves confusion)

open9x has a port that works - and can be installed and managed by companion. http://code.google.com/p/open9x/
er9x's port is ersky9x. I have not flashed it in a while so not sure which the best tool is! http://code.google.com/p/ersky9x/

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Sam-ba is best for ersky9x version, even though companion 9x supports it, i get a lot of bad flashes with using C9x and ersky9x. Samba takes less than a second to write the firmware.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

companion9x you mean? open9x is a FW, it doesn't flash anything!
BTW companion9x only uses SAM-BA (it launches it) for flashing, so if you have a "bad flash", it's in all cases SAM-BA which is involved there ;)
Bertrand.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

ERSKY9X Now Shipping

Post by Rob Thomson »

Looks like I copy pasted the same link twice! Oh well :)

I am out now so will let someone else put the correct one in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jblain

Post by jblain »

I would like to order one of these boards but I do not seem authorised to send emails on this forum.

How should i proceed ?

Regards

Jacques B
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

http://www.ersky9x.net/Products.html

There is contact form and an email address on that page that you can use.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Happy dance when the board arrived a couple days ago, but now deep sadness. Not a single paper of instructions with even a web address for some sort of instructions for installation. Pages and pages and pages of discussions -- much of which seemed passe'. http://www.ersky9x.net had nothing, and one photo that is some help. With only that photo I set out to figure it out. I did not understand the display connector, and almost immediately broke the connector for the stock LCD. I guess the better quality LCD won't be available until sometime near forever -- so don' know what to do. As I read the threads a bit more I came to realize that apparently this thing really is pretty immature. I was hoping to have it installed and using recorded sounds this weekend -- but that's either a pipe dream, or I'm not finding a condensed version of instructions -- just discussions with mixed opinions and options.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

ERSKY9X Now Shipping

Post by Rob Thomson »

Hey.... I believe Brent is working on a guide at the moment :

I think the recorded sounds would be very optimistic! You need to allow the firmware software some time to actually catch up to the power of the hardware.

You will notice if you follow the threads that audio is still in progress - as is sdcard functionality :)

For now... Best place to ask questions is on this thread. Be patient. It will all catch up.

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Thanks Rob. Since I broke the LED connector I guess I'll probably wait until Optrix displays are available, and then see how things are going. I obviously jumped in too soon.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

ERSKY9X Now Shipping

Post by Rob Thomson »

Not sure how you broke the connector! It is identical to the stock board?

I guess the tough bit is... Even with the new boar you still are working on a hackers system. For all of us who have hacked the 9x to pieces, this is VERY easy. For those coming at it cold, well probably not!

I guess the point is.. Your feedback is good as it will only help improve the end offering.

Rob

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

ERSKY9X Now Shipping

Post by Rob Thomson »

Not sure how you broke the connector! It is identical to the stock board?

I guess the tough bit is... Even with the new boar you still are working on a hackers system. For all of us who have hacked the 9x to pieces, this is VERY easy. For those coming at it cold, well probably not!

I guess the point is.. Your feedback is good as it will only help improve the end offering.

Rob

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xw5amb
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think the only thing missing is a needed disclaimer on the order page and first ersky9x topic page stating a few facts before purchasing the board. 

A gentle reminder that this is a DIY project that has great potential but does require some basic technical skills as well as some mechanical skills.  Theirs no easy way around this in a DIY project and the end user will determine the success and ease of instalation. Documentation is enough for most but is not totally up to date nor is it in a "Heathkit" check off format for instalation. I'm sure anyone that would like to write a detailed "how to" would do a great service to the project.

Also some soldering may be required at some point for adding connectors to plug in devices or future updates but as delivered very  little if any soldering will need to be done.
 Note... I think all supplied loose connectors should have pre crimped pigtail wires on them and the end user can cut them to length and solder them to the external device or extend and use shrink tubing.  
The case may require some mechanical holes for programmig and/or SD card access or the other newer option requiring no major case holes for the adapters but either way some skills are required.

Battery requirements. Many complain after the fact the there may be a limitation to the battery supply voltage max as noted with a 3 cell lipo. The 3 cell lipo has become a standard mainly due to its inexpensive price over nicads or Nimh batteries as well as its ability to hold a charge and have a large current reserve. Because all modern systems actuall run on a 3.3v buss all voltage over that is just headroom. So much headroom most of it is wasted as heat in a regulator IC. This in turn taxes the regulator and the heatsink area provided on the board. Even with a large heatsink to avoid regulator damage, the regulator may still just turn off if it hits its safety cutoff tempature. Even if this does not happen the excess heat caused by the excess voltage is radiated inside the TX case where it can heat other components and the main CPU. This in turn, especially on a hot day, could cause those circuits to misbehave and they control what the tx does while flying. A 2 cell lipo or other lower voltage battery options is the better current option in all devices these days not more voltage.
The sky9x board reflects these up to date components and there for up to date battery lower voltage levels is the correct way to go. 

The firmware and some features (Audio, SD card) is ongoing and will be for some time. As delivered as a drop in board, the available FW will offer telemetry and all features required to fully fly any rc plane or heli. Some storage and voice features will be added as they are developed by the various free source and open source code writers.

Lastly all DIY projects have a risk factor be it the hardware, electronics, or the free firmware written to run on these boards. Most will have great success and be very happy and have the skills required to make it so. Some will have issues either due to component or programmig issues or self inflicted due to limited knowledge of technical/mechanical abilities and this is unavoidable in a DIY project.
However for most any issues can be solved quickly if required and the rewards outnumber the risks.

My instalation went well and I was flying the next day and now just standby for the extra features to come on line as the FW develops. I have a beta board and it has required some mods to very small spaces but it went well and I'm very happy with my investment and would recomend it if you want a "super TX" over the stock 9x board.
SM
iwik

Post by iwik »

SM,
Well said,seems to sum it up. I think the disclaimer here is quite important as one gets the impression that features listed are all go.
Brent done a marvellous job and being very wrapped up in the project some obvious things get overlooked. I to have a Beta board
and extremely happy with it even though i had one of the end locking deviceson my Optrex connector break. The other locks it ok.
I also think a wee sticker over these connectors reminding people of the caution required. Ive never liked working with these but
they are a must these days with micro construction.
To anyone reading this, buy it as its potential for the future will be awsome.
Thanks SM for trying to clarify exactly that this is a DIY project and all that goes with it.
Les
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Re thanks,
Yes it was meant to be all positive but at the same time pointing out that unlike a $400+ tx with less flexibility along with it comes some required skills to make it a $200 project or less. I think everyone that's successfully modified and upgraded their 9x weather to er9x, er9x with Frsky telemety and of course to the current sky9x config has not only learned a lot but is enjoying having done it.
And it's only just begun. For those that have jumped onboard but are having some issues I think they will find great support here for them that will get them flying if they just give it a chance.
BYW, I paid full price for my board and get no compensation for posting positive statements. I'm just a happy board owner and flyer.
SM
kaos

Post by kaos »

that is all part of the fun in this hobby, DIY and learn. ;)
If I want a plug and play Tx, just buy an aurora 9 or 18ch Tx. but, that is no fun. ;)
just placed the order for the board (and accessories), looking forward for the fun to begin. :)
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

The connector was not the same as the stock -- but that's beside the point. My dumb thumbs broke it. The rest was just me venting embarrassment and frustration. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ultimately, I used the transmitter that was going to be the ersky9x box and finished the TX with built-in wireless buddy box instead.

I have to buy another gimbal or 9x radio because last week a canabilized a gimbal from my extra Tx for a field repair on my white radio.

I understood that this was a DIY and over the past year I've gotten comfortable with the guts of the 9x and modded several. I think I could field strip one and reassemble in about 45 minutes.

Ya'll are heros to me. Many of you have done amazing things with the hardware and software. I know it's not a business -- it's a hobby. Thanks for all you do to improve the technology -- I'll get my act together and try again.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Welcome back Scott I thought we were going to lose you to frustration for a while there.
I feel like you were feeling everytime I get a blue screen and memory dump message on my expensive windows computer! But after a reboot I'm good to go again. We all need a reboot from time to time ha ha.
SM
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Thanks SM. I'm a little surprised his really upset I got at breaking the darn thing. I've learned so much about the 9x and telemetry (FrSKY) in the past year, my confidence should have been a little more resilient.
I guess I've had a rough patch in the hobby lately. I lost my pattern plane in a blinded by the sun accident a week ago = it went in hard enough it caught fire and burned. I've wasted too much time trying to make functional quadricopter with low quality flight controller while waiting for the copter controller to be available. I was in the middle of two TX builds -- one with the Sky9x and one with internal wireless buddy box. Unfortunately, the day before I started into the sky9x project I broke a gimbal in my primary Tx and had t0 cannibalize one from the other Tx in progress. Now I need to either wait for another 9x or find a gimbal -- fun and games. All that just added up and I guess I flipped.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get the display cable to seat and move forward. I guess I'll have a one gimbal Tx for the time being.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”