eepesky9x, ersky9x, ported for Taranis?

eepSKYe is the desktop too for flashing and managing your sky9x firmware.
ShowMaster

eepesky9x, ersky9x, ported for Taranis?

Post by ShowMaster »

Any chance ersky9x will be ported over to work with the new Frsky line or TXs?
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: eepesky9x, ersky9x, ported for Taranis?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Mike is working on an er9x port, so most likely - yes!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As usual, will need some time to do.

How many are interested?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kaos

Post by kaos »

depends on how much the Taranis costs. ;) Ersky9x is and will be my main flying program. if Taranis does not cost an arm and a leg, I would like to have one to use as back up to my SKY9X.
I would rather see the ersky9x and eepeskye get more refined before thinking porting to Taranis.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

MikeB wrote:As usual, will need some time to do.

How many are interested?

Mike.
Almost sure I'll be in, unless they really boost the price out of sight....funny considering what I paid for the JR 9303.... Maybe after thinking about a minute or six, it will stil be a bargain. I like erSky and eepSkye, but does this mean another name change? :shock:
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Don't forget that the radio will come with openTx out of the box, so it's not like it will lack too much in the firmware department. It has taken about 6 months to make a port that makes good use of its resources, so maybe think twice whether you'd prefer ersky9x THAT much before pushing Mike to spend weeks on it and then leaving the radio in a drawer as a backup ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No one wants to push Mike to do anything, if we could do that the sound module would be already finished :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's up to Mike really. I know he asked and not many people is answering. Expected.. People don't want to say that they will get the radio and then don't, or decide to use OpenTX.
I couldn't answer the question at the moment because I won't even get this radio.. will get the next one "Horus".. So, Mike I think it is really up to you. Would you have fun doing it?? ;)
I personally would prefer to see other stuff for the 9x finished before like the sound module SD Card feature, but it's your time and your fun and you roll the dice ;) :D

And by the way, thank you

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I plan on putting openTx on my Sky9 radio and see what I can see. Just have to wait a bit as some of us are having some issues with our Sky9 radio's that Mike is trying to pin down for us.

I'd contemplate getting a Taranis depending on the cost and how well the reviews come in but really I'm quite happy with what I have. And again I'd have to take a good look at openTx. I did have open9x on my radio for a short while some time back but even though it had some nice features none of them were any more useful to me then what ERSKY already offers as well I've been using ER9X and Ersky from the get go so I know it very well.

Right at this moment in time not knowing openTx, if I was getting a Taranis I would no doubt want ERSKY on it...hands down.

Now with a what will probably be a good number of people starting out with openTx FW, they will learn it to the point that it will be second nature for them to program just as the ER's are to me so what would be their real motivation to want another FW option other then to just try it out. They would have to feel their way thru a new FW when what they already have works just fine and they know how to program it well.

I would not expect Mike to spend all kinds of time to port ERSKY over just for us ERSKY drivers. That really comes down to what he enjoys as far as programming plus he has his plate full with ER9X and ERSKY as it is now.

I think it's a wait and see game for a while.
Last edited by Reacher10 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I plan on putting openTx on my Sky9 radio and see what I can see. Just have to wait a bit as some of us are having some issues with our Sky9 radio's that Mike is trying to pin down for us.

I'd contemplate getting a Taranis depending on the cost and how well the reviews come in but really I'm quite happy with what I have. And again I'd have to take a good look at openTx. I did have open9x on my radio for a short while some time back but even though it had some nice features none of them were any more useful to me then what ERSKY already offers as well I've been using ER9X and Ersky from the get go so I know it very well.

Right at this moment in time not knowing openTx, if I was getting a Taranis I would no doubt want ERSKY on it...hands down.

Now with a what will probably be a good number of people starting out with openTx FW, they will learn it to the point that it will be second nature for them to program just as the ER's are to me so what would be thier real motivation to want another FW option other then to just try it out. They would have to feel thier way thru a new FW when what they already have works just fine and they know how to program it well.

I would not expect Mike to spend all kinds of time to port ERSKY over just for us ERSKY drivers. That really comes down to what he enjoys as far as programming plus he has his plate full with ER9X and ERSKY as it is now.

I think it's a wait and see game for a while.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Why not put it on and have a play... You will find that most of the key things you do are identical.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I will Rob but right now we are trying to figure out why KAOS and I are getting random reboots.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I know that most of the people currently in these forums really dig the big tool box that openTX and ER9x and ersky9x give us. However I can definitely see a use for a "skin" for one of these firmwares for the Taranis that makes the Taranis very limited and easy to use for beginners. I mean stripped down to bare bones.
I fear the FrSky and opensource in general may get a black eye when throngs of new users buy the Taranis and can't figure out what to do because there are so many things they can do. I was that way for awhile two years ago with er9x -- and that was before there was so many new features and abilities.

I've watched a close friend with a new Futaba 12SG completely give up on it because he can't figure out how to program it -- but he's used Futaba's for nearly 40 years -- so he's brand loyal. I see so many pilots that don't know what DR is let alone EXPO ... so they don't even use it. They want a transmitter that has the wizard and that's about it. Seriously. The rest of it just confuses them -- but with open source -- they can take a bigger bite later when they are ready.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Agreed. Been a worry for me too.

:smile:

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think this isn't a TX for people that don't know what DR or expo is.
Hmm, actually, I think that 95% of the radios sold today aren't for this people

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

http://www.banggood.com/FrSky-Taranis-1 ... 71461.html
Not a word about the FW project and his authors. That's a shame.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Please to say that T9 in the UK have mentioned us.

http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news-fr ... ry-modules

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Banggood is your typical low-grade seller - copy description somewhere (without checking if it makes sense), copy images somewhere else, slap a price and that's all.

Nice of T9, however I'm not convinced by the "FrSky openTx" ;)
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

"FrSky openTx" Wow ... this one is not bad :o
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

On T9:
Right out of the box, with the astonishingly easy-to-use flexibility of FrSky OpenTX

Well not so nice...
It figures out that OpenTX is from FrSky.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Would you like it changed?

Send me the text and I am sure Rich will adjust it.

He actually has already adjusted it a bit based on my previous requests.

Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Rob, maybe can just be sufficient:

"Right out of the box, with the astonishingly easy-to-use flexibility of OpenTX..."

and then a note like:
More information on OpenTX project can be found on: http://code.google.com/p/opentx/.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I will forward on :mrgreen:

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Right. The link must be there as stated by the GPL licence
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jhsa wrote:I think this isn't a TX for people that don't know what DR or expo is.
Hmm, actually, I think that 95% of the radios sold today aren't for this people
I understand where you are coming from, but I have do disagree on the principle that there is no reason a person should need to buy one transmitter, and out grow it, and then get another, and then outgrow that one, and then yet another.

The strength of hardware with Open firmware is that the same hardware can be -- simply by changing the firmware -- anything to anybody. You can put a simple skin on the Tx and get people started -- as it's a price that's very competitive with good quality starting radios -- even package it with a foam trainer. Ok -- now you have a FrSky customer. This customer purchases a few receivers with some unknown quantity called telemetry but the price is right adn the telemetry goes unused. Great beginner transmitter.

A year or so later our beginner now has the fundamentals of taking off, landing, and not putting people in danger, and would like to have more control -- so there is another skin for the firmware he/she can download which gives them access to these functions with our the menus that are frankly intimidating to most people that look at them.

Eventually, our beginner is no longer a beginner and wants the skin peeled off and finds the power of telemetry, voice, etc. And all this time he/she has been using only one transmitter -- but has purchased receivers, and eventually telemetry bits and over time becomes an expert on their own.

I am a flight trainer. I deal with ALOT of noobs. I also deal with alot of run of the mill Saturday pilots. Many of them are simply intimidated by the tabs of power and won't make the jump because they think it's beyond them.

Two years or so ago All of this stuff (well, not DR or expo) was totally beyond my comprehension. I remember dripping sweat into the 9x when I installed the first smartieparts programmer. I was scared to death. But -- I learned and learned and learned. And I still have much more to learn.

We're all at different places -- but the Taranis (or Horus for that matter) can be exactly what each person needs.

I'd like to go on a rant about how people's perceptions of their limitations is the biggest inhibitor for most people doing most things. But I won't - because I'd be discussing myself. :D

Now -- the saddest thing I have to conclude with I actually, factually, know an AMA flight instructor that does not know how to set dual rates or expo and doesn't want to learn because he flys "just fine" without them. :x :x :x :x
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Scott, you are absolutely right.. On my earlier post perhaps I didn't choose the right words.. What I meant is that most of the TX sold at present offer all this features but many people just don't understand them..
I know what DR and expo are, know how to set them, but normally don't use them.. Well, dual rate sometimes, but never expo. I find that I easily over correct on landing if there is a wind gust for example.. it's nice and smooth around the center but if you need a bigger correction things can get pretty aggressive ;) :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

It's all good my friend. :-)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Romolo wrote:Rob, maybe can just be sufficient:

"Right out of the box, with the astonishingly easy-to-use flexibility of OpenTX..."

and then a note like:
More information on OpenTX project can be found on: http://code.google.com/p/opentx/.
I am sure you will be please to see that Richard has made the updates as requested.

http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news-fr ... ry-modules

You even have a little link at the bottom of the page.

I know Richard well enough to know he was not wording anything with I'll intent. Just a case of knocking out content - without thought to the specific details.

Rich.. thanks for sorting it out :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Perfect now!
kaos

Post by kaos »

I still have a problem reading this 'OpenTx' thing. Every time I read it I read it as Frysky OpenTx means this Tx(transmitter) is made by Frysky called OpenTx. Instead of reading the 'OpenTx' as a FW. This just can't get out of my head. ;) on all the above 'ads' / description. If I were a person looking for a Tx, I would think this Tx is made by Frysky and the full name is 'Taranis OpenTx' and abbreviated as Taranis.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

You speak english better than me ... what would you propose then?

Return to “eepSKYe”