FW Version and Model Memory

G550Ted

FW Version and Model Memory

Post by G550Ted »

Previously I have flashed only the "standard" er9x FW. Since I am running a bit low for model memory I just flashed the NOHT version thinking that it would give me more memory available for EEPROM data but that seems not the case. With either FW flashed I have the same amount of model memory remaining. Is that correct? What don't I understand here?

Thanx,

Ted

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: FW Version and Model Memory

Post by MikeB »

The NOHT option only removes the executable code from the flash, it does not change the model storage structure. Doing so would cause a lot of compatibility problems for eepe.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

OK, got it. Thanx for the quick reply.

What, if anything then, would be the advantage of flashing NOHT?

Ted
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not a lot on the standard firmware, you just miss a couple of menus to step past. While some flash space is saved, it is not a problem on the standard version.
Templates have been permanently removed from the FrSky version as it uses most of the available flash space otherwise.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kaos

Post by kaos »

If template can save significant flash, may be removing it from all version would be good. I think any one use er9x has enough knowledge to copy some template in eepe to do it. Beside, almost non of the templates ever is exactly you wanted. I just set up a bunch of 'generic template' with eepe and save it as a file on PC, then when a similar kind of model needs to set up just copy that file in eepe.
for instance , my template for a simple plane will always has flaperon, slow down, snap up and TC, timer all programed. Just copy this generic 'model' to new model and I am almost 99% done beside some very specific function for the newer model. for model has telemetry, all common voice switches, custom display are also preprogrammed.
At the same time, in the depository build a 'template' data base, any one can down load and use it.

mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Please don't remove the wizard. Give it some more grunt instead.

And while on the topic, I would prefer to keep the same Rx channel assignment whether it is a powered or unpowered model.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Trying to make it more user/beginner friendly

Presuming that is it easy doing it on the Pc may be one of the steps a newcomer (9XR) doesn't know or understand.

Even though I normally know, how to program the mixes, I modified my templates menu a little bit like the 9XR menu.

I removed the line numbers in front of the mix name as they don't have any value to me. Instead of, I put there a "R" for replace or a "+" for add, as it is used in the mixer menu.

For planes, I have the basic mixes "R Simple 4CH","R V-Tail", "R Delta/Elevon", (all marked as "R") and then the add on's like "+ Switches", "+ T-CUT" and "+ Sticky T_Cut", (marked with the "+" sign).

The "replace" mixes clear the mixes and the custom switches before they insert the new mixes. (At the moment, in the original fw, switches are not cleared, when you add a new template. That may lead to switches hanging around from old setups where the beginner is not able to recognize what they are used for or if they can/should be deleted.)

The "add on" mixes are added to the existing set of mixes.

"+ Switches" adds a two position and a three position switch, to show, how to use them.

Reinhard

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”