Solar cell ideas?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
ShowMaster

Solar cell ideas?

Post by ShowMaster »

I bought a modified Easystar plane at an auction for $80. It need some tlc  but came with a brushless in runner, a 30a SC, 3s 2200 MA 1500c  thunder power lipo, and 8 solar panels, 4 mounted on the wings in series and parallel. There was also a AR 6100 rx with a missing antenna. I made up 2 ea 31mm wires and made them the new antenna wires. All working and rtf.
About the solar panels and ideas?
The panels are flexible and seem to be sold as RC panels. Rated at 7.2-7.2v under load @ 100 MA.
The current wing config is two in series on each wing and that is paralleled through steering diodes  across the lipo pack.
At best this will output 14v@200Ma. I don't see any advantage of this setup due to the low cell output?
I'll see in full sunlight today if even the rx and servos will work using only solar and report back.
Good news is the Easystar without the panels will be in demand if I chose to sell it at the field instead of using it as a er9x Frsky test plane. To my surprise, the actual solar panels are selling for $25-30+ Ea.
That times 8 gives me a reason to find a good use for them. They are about 12"x5" flex panels, paper thin.
Any ideas on applications?
If I make a vest out of them I could power my er9x TX.
7.2v@800MA (-.3v Schottky diode drop) or 14v@400MA or other combinations of 7.2v@ 100MA x8.
SM

GrootWitbaas

Re: Solar cell ideas?

Post by GrootWitbaas »

You could drop them in a envelope and put my address on it ....I'll find a use for them :D

In conjunction with a nice battery and regulator It can give you a charging station for free. It could be a "fail-safe" for landing when the flight battery is run out, but be careful not to overcharge. Could be used to power all aux items (lights, sound whatever)
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Solar cell ideas?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Personally... Don't expect much from the solar cells. Maybe a tricky charge at best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Re: Solar cell ideas?

Post by ShowMaster »

rob.thomson wrote:Personally... Don't expect much from the solar cells. Maybe a tricle charge at best!
I agree with you Rob. But isn't "the the "green thing to do"? I hear that everwhere these days ha ha.
I think they will power my newest solar powered weather station at a new remote flying field my club is taking over. It uses ham radio to report to the internet so anyone can see the WX 24/7 every 3 min updated.
One of my many hobbies to spend money on it seems.
I'm still going to explor the rc interest just to make sure I'm not missing something.
OK, going FPV flying with a friend(his gear, my ham license) and also testing the 400 Ft alarm function Mike added the er9x this week.
SM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”