Throttle on P3 & Elev Switch, Flaps on Throttle Stick

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Flaps 30

Throttle on P3 & Elev Switch, Flaps on Throttle Stick

Post by Flaps 30 »

This is more for the types that like the challenge of getting free fuel from the air, rather than the IC motor on full blast all the time brigade.

Yesterday was a great day to dust off the Reichard Proxima II to see if it could be tamed. Managed to rope in a very experienced glider (and speed control line) guy who might just tame it or make a kit of it.. Yes it still has problems. It takes time to think about turning and when it does it will dig into the turn, requiring a fair chunk of reverse aileron to stop it tightening up.. And yes.. The wings flex a heck of a lot when you push it.. So there still is problems with it..

On landing (which he did after a few goes without flaps) he suggested that I put the motor control on a switch with P3 as the preset for it, and move the flaps and spoilerons onto the throttle stick. Last night I managed to program all of this up, with two protection switches for the motor, along with removing flaps and spoilerons when power is called for.. The more I think of this, the more sense it makes, as the motor is only used to climb to height.

Now comes some questions to those that do this stuff ...

Do you add elevator compensation with the motor?

Do you use one of the knobs as a preset throttle level and then leave it there, using just a switch to turn it on and off?

Do you just give a quick blast with the throttle switch when you are wanting to add a bit on your landing?

Do you cancel out the flap and spoilerons automatically when you switch the motor on?

Is your flap and spoilerons fully on (full down and up) when the throttle stick is at the top or bottom?

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Throttle on P3 & Elev Switch, Flaps on Throttle Stick

Post by Rob Thomson »

Yes to all.

But really personal preference :)

And full 'crow' Is with throttle towards you. (Down)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
aduncan

Post by aduncan »

I've always had a dislike of using a switch for a powerful electric motor, having once had a speed 400 gearbox explode when I shoved the throttle open suddenly. So I use the throttle as a throttle, feel more in control somehow.

I have a switch for the landing mode which makes crow brakes active and cuts power to the motor. I've always used the throttle stick down as all off, and up as power or crow brakes. Also makes it easier to use rudder when the stick is down.

As Rob says, its purely a personal preference
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

you can put a bit of "slow" on the motor channel so it doesn't start too fast. when you flick the switch the motor will take a second or two to reach full throttle or whatever you set with P3.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Thanks Rob.. :)
jhsa wrote:you can put a bit of "slow" on the motor channel so it doesn't start too fast. when you flick the switch the motor will take a second or two to reach full throttle or whatever you set with P3.
Yup.. It is slightly complicated in that with openTX you have to use another channel (channel 13 in my case) for P3 and the switch, then feed that into the throttle channel (channel 3) where the delay is added.. In have added two safety switches for now, until I get used to the system. The gear and elevator switch has to be active to allow the motor to go on..

Here is a file of the whole thing as used in Companion.
27 June 2013 Version 2 proxima II.eepe
For M128
(9.53 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
P.S - No GVARS or flight phases were used or harmed in the making of the file above.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I thought you didn't select them when downloading the firmware ;) :D

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Correct .. I left them caged up sleeping.. You really don't want to waken them up. Nasty things when they are let loose to roam through your radio. :evil:

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”