er9x + rangelink uhf buzzer glitch

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
skelator

er9x + rangelink uhf buzzer glitch

Post by skelator »

hello all,

i been having this buzzer glitch problem, everytime buzzer is active/sound my rx glitches here is video showing ot happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aex9Y8OD0lw

i think have posted before but i can't seem to find the post, test only done with er9x i haven't tested it with open9x yet
Build.screw.up.build.again.fly.crash.repeat

ShowMaster

Re: er9x + rangelink uhf buzzer glitch

Post by ShowMaster »

More about this range beeper? What brand. What tx module and RX are you using? Maybe a stock Turnigy with er9x loaded?
Most likely what's going on Is the beeper power buss is not filtered and is putting square wave trash on the power lines or data line and it's being passed back in to the RX. That of it's spewing out rf noise that the RX is seeing.
Try it on another RX, try it on another BEC, just try another brand.
In theory this would not sound in normal flight conditions so it wouldn't interfere with normal flying. When lost, it doesn't matter if it glitches a downed plane you're looking for?
Try some substitutions and please report you findings.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Are you using the trainer port as the output to the RF module? that would explain it.. If you are, try enabling PPMSIM on your radio by going to your model main cnfiguration screen, scroll down to "Protocol" or "Proto" and choose PPMSIM there..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Sounds like it's the module beeping, not the radio. Maybe check the module's manual to see why it would beep?
skelator

Post by skelator »

jhsa wrote:Are you using the trainer port as the output to the RF module? that would explain it.. If you are, try enabling PPMSIM on your radio by going to your model main cnfiguration screen, scroll down to "Protocol" or "Proto" and choose PPMSIM there..

João
nope i'm not using trainer port it connected directly to the tx pin

the beepping is definitely from tx the beepi g are because of the inactivity alarm that i set to 1 minutes to reproduce the buzzer glitch :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Strange, it shouldn't do that.. what mods have you done?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
skelator

Post by skelator »

jhsa wrote:Strange, it shouldn't do that.. what mods have you done?

João
only mod i done is lcd back light with bs170 and the ppm resistor fix

my model setup is

proto: ppm 12ch 300us
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

PPM resistor fix shouldn't be used anymore, and could cause such problems depending on how the module's input circuitry is done.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Are you powering something else from the 5V regulator that powers the buzzer?
The only problems with glitches I know about is when using the trainer port for a simulator for example.. when there was a beep it would glitch.. Some people fixed it by removing that regulator that is on the switch board..
Also some time ago Mike created the PPMSIM option to avoid this situation..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes more about this beeper in your tx?
It's not from a voice or speaker mod?
Is it from the stock beeper or an add on?
May not be related but you say only the 2k mod and backlight mod was added. Maybe remove the 1k, not needed as mentioned and see what happens. Bent remove the BL mod from pin 17 and try again.
This is not normal and doesn't normally happen. FW should not cause this. One conclusion is that not being stock anymore, you may have introduced this with you modifications. Close up pictures of you board showing your wiring may be very helpful in finding out why it happens. I personally posted a picture of a voice board mod I made and others saw my wiring error right away. I had missed it and now it's working with their help.
More details please.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
skelator

Post by skelator »

I can confirm a few thing,

- Yes it beeper from my TX not from the rangelink modules
- I don't have voice mode and speaker mod
- It from Stock beeper no add-on
Are you powering something else from the 5V regulator that powers the buzzer?
The only problems with glitches I know about is when using the trainer port for a simulator for example.. when there was a beep it would glitch.. Some people fixed it by removing that regulator that is on the switch board..
Also some time ago Mike created the PPMSIM option to avoid this situation..
I don't have anything else powered via the 5V regulator, does the regulator power all the radio? if yes maybe I can try a separate Ubec just for the TX modules, I will take a close up pictures later when i get back from works

I have a stock TX that does not have any mod I will try the modules on that TX, FYI there are a few people having the same problem as me in RCG rangelink thread but I'm not really sure what their setup are
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

skelator wrote:nope i'm not using trainer port it connected directly to the tx pin
Which processor pin?

Also, I note you are using ppm 12ch. Have you adjusted the frame time above 22.5mS? 12 ch, at 2mS per channel + 4.5mS sync, needs an absolute minimum of 28.5 mS frame time, more if you use extended limits. I'd use at least 30.5 mS frame time for 12 channels.

Which revision of er9x are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
skelator

Post by skelator »

hi mike

what i mean it this

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417350

I don't actually solder my modules directly to the board :), I didn't adjust the frame time as it was recommend or i think it was I will try that later, my spare TX decided to die on me, if possible I don't really want to remove the pin 17 for the backlight and re-solder it again, so we see maybe i end up getting 9XR
Dionysos

Post by Dionysos »

Gentlemen,

any more ideas on this?
I did some research on this because I'm currently stuck with it. Means no sound for my 9x with er9x firmware.

I use 9x with er9x firmware, in combination with a rangelink uhf. 12Ch, framelength: 28ms 28.5ms 29ms (tried 'em)
I tried to adjust the "beeper" to "pispkr". I tried adjusting the volume. It would not work.

I'm puzzled whether this is a er9x firmware issue, a rangelink problem, or a buzzer problem.

The facts:
1. my EZUHF, Scherrer or dragonlink, does not complain about the "buzzer glitch" problem, or let me say it's so far not noticable.
2. Only Rangelink glitches when beeping. failsafe is not the correct term as it's more like an uncoordinated, semi-random control surface deflection
3. Other users reported to me that it would work using a 9xr with er9x firmware, also with taranis

Before I start soldering:
mike (thank you so much, you have been a great help!) suggested to inverse the ppm and try with 8ch first. This is what I'll do first. BUT:

Anyone out there "in the knows" with more electronic experience as me who could assess whether a switch to a piezo speaker and removing the buzzer inside the 9x *could* offer a solution?

Thanks!

BTW this issue has not been resolved, most frustrated users simply switched from 9x to er9x or taranis.

Dio
Last edited by Dionysos on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dionysos

Post by Dionysos »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnLVk6PrCLg

here is a video of the problem...

Dio
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just done a test, setting er9x to 12 channels and monitoring the PPM pulse stream with an oscilloscope. With the buzzer sounding from the timer, I cannot see any glitches on the PPM stream, and the jitter value (in the STAT2) screen does not exceed 4uS, suggesting there is no significant PPM output problem.

Since the buzzer is an electro-magnetic device, I wonder if it is affecting the rangelink Tx module in some way. Can you test with the Tx module physically further away from the buzzer. The buzzer is very close to the back of the module bay.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Dionysos

Post by Dionysos »

roger. will check... how about a cap there? the piezo speaker is also installed with a cap if I remember correctly.

I can scope it, too btw...

thanks mike, thumbs up for your amazing support. I'm pretty lost with this. But it's a joy to learn and explore :)

Dio
Dionysos

Post by Dionysos »

Hi everyone,
I had some time to play around. Looks like a solution has been found:

There is one option in the menu: "Shift sel" in the model menu. it apparently inverses ppm. No idea why it works, but it works. I benchtested for 15mins with all sorts of beeps and trying to trim while beeping, etc. Sounded like a gaming hall in the early 80's. No glitch.

I'll still run a test with the plane that you have seen in the video to play safe. Should there be no further messages here, consider it solved!

Special thanks goes to Mikefor the pointers. I got you " a beer".

thanks,
Dio
skelator

Post by skelator »

nice! I don't use my T9x anymore ever since i got my taranis, but still good to know we have a work around for the issues, so the question is what "Shift Sel" does?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's the PPM polarity. Normally modules shouldn't care about it, but some do...

Return to “er9x”