Replacing P1 & P2 with a PS2 style joystick (FlySky 9X)

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
jbabio

Replacing P1 & P2 with a PS2 style joystick (FlySky 9X)

Post by jbabio »

Hi, I want to show you my last mod, I've done it in order to control the Zenmuse on my S800 in a one pilot setup but will be useful for all gimbals.

First you will need a PS2 style joystick, I've used this Thumb Joystick Module for Arduino (Works with Official Arduino Boards) from DX.com and removed the pins.

To install the joystick you have to cut the case so it's a "no way back" mod. In the back shell I've followed the shape of sticker below the pot because the joystick fit well and the plastic is thinner in that area . Only a little bit was carved beyond to make room for the button of the joystick which is located on the back. Also there are two reinforcements inside the back shell, just below the pot, that you have to trim for the joystick to fit closer to the shell wall and avoid colliding with P3 in the front shell.

Only a little carving in the front shell was enough, no photos but can be seen later in the top view of the mod finished.

NOTE: To cut the plastic I've used a hot blade

Once the cutting job is done, you have to solder the wires. First unsolder the three cables from P1. and only center one for P2. This one needs to be extended to reach the joystick.

Signal is the center one, mark it, but since colours are different for + and GND between pots on mine, you will have to check with a polymeter for + and GND (with the polymeter set for "continuity" touch the unsoldered cables and GND of the board one by one to see which one is connected)

Once you have identified polarity, solder the cables to the joystick board (remember I've removed the pins to use the holes):
+5 and GND are ovbious, VRx is P1, VRy is P2 (in my setup) and SW is the momentary switch which i've connected to THR switch for the convenience of proximity and moved the 2 position switch to TRN but could be connected directly to TRN if you extend the lead.

Once soldered, you only have to place the joystick on its place and apply some hot glue to fix it in place...

[table=][tr=][td=]Image[/td][td=]Image[/td][/tr][/table]

And then close the TX shell (after checking all functions).

Now the Mod works but is a bit too rough so I've done a simple bezel with fimo paste. since FIMO will not harden until cured in the oven, you must use something to be able to remove the molded part without bending. In my case I've used cooking film to avoid adherence and over it paper tape to create a base strong enough.

Obviously, do it at your own risk. I only want to show the mod to inspire others.

PS: Now I have a free switch and a free pot on my 9X. Since it has the Telemetrez board installed and the Tez has free inputs. Would be nice to rewire them to the tez, actually two switches would be better (WKM ,ZENMUSE an IOsd together are a switch hungry setup) Does someone tried to add more switches on the tez firmware and OpenTX. my next mod will be adding a second TX to the 9X to use 16PPM channels and more switches on the TX would be nice
Last edited by jbabio on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Replacing P1 & P2 with a PS2 style joystick (FlySky 9X)

Post by Rob Thomson »

You could use SUGRU to make the replacement casing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jbabio

Re: Replacing P1 & P2 with a PS2 style joystick (FlySky 9X)

Post by jbabio »

Didn't know the sugru, seems very useful for some kind of works, thank you! However, I had FIMO at home and in my case it done the trick quite well. Also since it's worked very like the sugru, and hard like plastic when cured in the oven, it wasn't a bad option. Note it isn't fixed to the case but hold with 2 screws through the holes to be removable if I need to open the TX again.

Return to “General RC Electronic Projects and Discussion”