Guide for making Orange Tx module internal?

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
markran

Guide for making Orange Tx module internal?

Post by markran »

I have a the new Orange Tx module and it works well on my 9x, however I'd like to move to be internal for the following reasons:
  • I still have several FlySky Rxs I'd like to keep using.
  • Swapping modules is inconvenient.
  • Carrying around multiple modules is inconvenient.
  • Someday I might like to add some FrSky into the mix.
  • The antenna placement on the back of the Orange Tx isn't great.
  • The Orange Tx module is, well, bright freaking orange.
I realize there are guides for taking internal components from Spektrum Txs and transplanting them inside the 9x but I haven't seen one for this Orange Tx module yet. In fact I previously did the LP4 mod but could never get the range to work beyond 100 ft (it did work to 200ft and more when the LP4 was in the donor Champ Tx). I think I must have munged the antenna connection somehow and could never fix it, so I got the Orange Tx. I can probably work out the pins on the JR connector myself and map those to the existing guides but there's also the issue of the antenna and frankly, I can follow a good guide and do the soldering but I don't feel as solid when it comes to 'freestyling' variations.

Is anyone up to making a guide?

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Guide for making Orange Tx module internal?

Post by Rob Thomson »

This is a standard PPM module, so not really anything hard for you to do.

Just take the PCB out the module, and wire the ppm feeds from the back pins (or the back board) into the module.

If you plan to use more than one module, you should add a DPDT switch to the mix.

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
markran

Re: Guide for making Orange Tx module internal?

Post by markran »

Ah, I actually never thought of it that way. The LP4 mod was quite involved so I was assuming this would be too but the Lp4 mod was involved because the LP4 wasn't made for the 9x and the Orange Tx was. Duh... (forehead slap).

Return to “RF MODULES”