NEED: Replacement pot for 9x gimbal - US location

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
Toaster

NEED: Replacement pot for 9x gimbal - US location

Post by Toaster »

Bad pot on my 9x right stick. Need replacement pot. Anyone have a source for these pots or a 9x to sell me for parts?

Located in US

Thank You

ShowMaster

Re: NEED: Replacement pot for 9x gimbal - US location

Post by ShowMaster »

You may be able to fix it. Tell more about if it did work? Have you had your tx open and then it didn't work?
Can you gently push on the pot pc board and does it work again?
Your answers will help.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

How about this -> viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2100
What goes up, must come down. -Isaac Newton
OpenTX - expanding possibilities
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Spoogy wrote:How about this -> viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2100
I happen to fly with this person and will ask him more about it.
His post and pictures says it fits and works but I notice he never answered the resolution question. If your pot is bad and you have no choice it can't hurt to try it. It would be more critical in elevator or ailerons I think. Most don't use rudder enough to worry and there are throttle curve mixes that could help that channel.
Maybe he'll read this and comment. I'll email him to give an update.
SM

ShowMaster
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

if the pot is really a 60 degree one, it should have the same resolution as the original..
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

jhsa wrote:if the pot is really a 60 degree one, it should have the same resolution as the original..
João
I agree a direct replacement is what's needed but until the posted pot replacement is verified it may be a quick fix. I've emailed the person that posted the pot replacement to please post more details. I won't see him this week at the field and don't have his p#.
I would myself if desperate, move the rudder pot or throttle pot to the right side since its more critical. The replacement on rudder as long as it centers may not even be used enough to be critical for many flyers. In the throttle position it also may not be as critical for electric sport flying until a better pot is found.

I wonder what's wrong with his current pot? Maybe one of the fixes we've used would fix his and he'd be good to go.
Maybe he'll post more facts on the type of pot failure he has, what if anything makes it work again, and his technical level of pot disassembly and steady hands?
Maybe it's not a lost cause.
So far the several bad pots I've worked on all were brought back to life again and are flying planes.
SM

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I got a return email saying my friend will post some info tonight.
He also says he's been able to repair another pot using the info we've posted on the forum so that should be tried first.
SM

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

No resolution answer yet but if I had no other choice I'd try it in as I said rudder since most bang bang rudder and don't use the whole range for critical maneuvers.
Then if a better pot option is found swap it out.
Use the best pots in the most critical stick positions.
A working tx means more flying while one looks for a better solution.
SM

ShowMaster
Toaster

Post by Toaster »

thanks for the responses, sorry I've not posted back. I have night class on Monday :0
Re the pot that's broken. ShowMaster, You helped me with my original post re "AIL 2/3 left input, little movement with stick" (Thanks again for your help) Tried all the suggestions and when nothing worked I opened the pot up, very carefully, and inspected with magnifiers. There is a hairline crack in carbon trace right in line with one of the crimps that holds the pot together. I don't think that can be fixed can it? I'll try to post a picture.
While I'm far from an expert with electronics, I am comfortable doing most electronic repairs or guided modifications if it's really technical.
Spoogy, thanks for the link to the alternate potentiometer source. I checked there multiple days but it's always out of stock :( I have a "notify me by email when this item is available" set up for it but I'm guessing it may have been out of stock for a while.
I've scoured the net for suitable replacements but the ones I find are either from places I don't trust, the minimum quantity is 100 or more pieces, or out of stock.
My last 2 choices are purchasing a lynxmotion gimbal (Thank you for that link Showmaster) or buying another 9x. Either will have to wait for a couple paychecks, just had 2 car repair bills :P
BTW, this radio is for a home built quadcopter. With the left aileron stuck it immediately wants to flip over - Since I've never flown one yet (but have flown many many planes and one toy heli), I'm not sure which control is less important yet.

Thanks for all the responses and help, this is a great forum. Hope I can reciprocate in the future.

Eric
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm not sure which control is less important yet.
On a multicopter? None.. ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The other fixes that have been used are,
Automobile glass heater repair kit from an auto parts store. Conductive epoxy I think $10-12 I think.
Next is a conductive silver paint pen $20 from radio shack.
Maybe it'll work on the cracked element?
Not cheap but may work?
Sorry it's not a good fix like a new pot.
SM

ShowMaster
Toaster

Post by Toaster »

Radio FIXED!
Went to local hobby shop and bought a broken radio. Pulled the pot out of it, installed and calibrated and it's working great : )

Attached is the case of the radio the pot came from. I used the pot that was attached to the wheel - it was marked as a 5k pot. I sh ould have taken a picture of it before I closed up the radio.. Will try to remember to take a picture of it when I install backlight.

Thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions.
Attachments
FutabaTx.jpg
FutabaTx.jpg (42.07 KiB) Viewed 13077 times
Toaster

Post by Toaster »

jhsa wrote:
I'm not sure which control is less important yet.
On a multicopter? None.. ;)
Laugh :0 Originally I had 9 RC planes from Kadet to biplane and everything in between. In time, I'll have planes and heli's again. This quadcopter was actually a final project for a CAD class, and graduating final project.

EJA
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Please compare its travel vs. the original pot on another channel for normal stick throw.
5K is the value but it's the resistance change per degree off rotation that's also important.
Not too every application but it can't hurt to compare it to another channel out and report your findings.
Thank you
SM
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Pot replacement idea.
There are other Turnigy TXs for $27-29 at HobbyKing, not to mention other brands.
Is it posable that some of these are also built by FkySky and use the same sticks or pots as the 9x?
If so it may be a low price for parts/pots?
SM

ShowMaster
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

I repaired a pot on a friend's Spektrum DX6 and the sticks look identical to the 9X sticks

Paul
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks Paul.
The big issue is the pots resistance taper/rate of resistance change Orr degree of rotation.
Many pots like the 9x uses are all 5K but don't match the taper.
Not such a big deal I think in rudder or throttle in a pinch. With throttle curve options it could perhaps be dialed it, and many use don't their rudder enough to worry about the travel action.

This has only been a real issue the last 6 Mo let's say, because more come bad from the start from HK according to the posts.
The other one can be damaged while doing the mods and perhaps putting side pressure on the pots circuit board?
Either way it's been a pain for some this year.
SM

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

If you feel lucky contact Hobbypartz.com about ordering replacement pots or maybe the stick(s).
They special ordered my lost 9x battery cover and actually got it for me in about a week-10days.
I asked about pots and other 9x parts and was told they would try if asked and agreed to pay for the order up front. Igot couldn't be ordered my money would be refunded. That's what I did for the battery cover and I couldn't be happier.
I was going to try and order pots or sticks just to have them but I've ordered Aurora9 sticks for my sky9x board/tx so I'll have spare 9x sticks when they're replaced.
Give Hobbypartz a try by email.
SM

ShowMaster
Toaster

Post by Toaster »

A quick update: After calibrating, the speed and feel of the stick with the replaced pot feels exactly the same as the response from the other pots. Testing with a slow stick movement from center to full left/right seems to give a smooth response that hits full throw at the same time the stick hits full throw.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great. I did contact FkySky and got a part number for the aux pots but as others have found out you can't but replacement sticks or pots. Maybe in 5000 unit lots but way off to be practical for us.
SM

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”