DJT no longer fits the TH9

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

So...

The latest version of the TH9 are shipping with a slight modification to the module bay.

The change is in the molding around the pins. This has no doubt been done to strengthen the whole radio up - but the problem of course is that no the FRSKY module does not fit in properly! (you have to wonder if this is intentional)
Module bay with extra bit!
Module bay with extra bit!
So... as can be seen in the picture below.. the dremel has come to the rescue.
Modified DJT module
Modified DJT module
What I have done is to remove the board from the module case, then ground a large opening in the module to allow the case to slide over the new 'feature' on the TH9X.

Unfortunately this is not all that has to be done :-(

The position of the board in the module is about 1/4 of a millimeter to low - resulting in the module clipping in, but looking like it is being pushed out.

My solution was to create a small foam insert that raises the board the fraction of a mm to make it fit - then a dab of hot glue to secure it all.

So far ... So good.

Guess it will not be long before frsky have a new DJT in the mix!

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

jhsa

Re: DJT no longer fits the TH9

Post by jhsa »

Why not just cut the plastic around the pins on the 9x back?? then it would be like it was before..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
sterby

Post by sterby »

I'm sure cutting the plastic around the pins is a major pain in the buttocks. Oh well, the new FrSky transmitter is coming out soon.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's what I did (mentioned in another thread 2 days ago). Takes 30 seconds to grind the new "feature" down and there we go again ;)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

jhsa wrote:Why not just cut the plastic around the pins on the 9x back?? then it would be like it was before..
That would also work :-)
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

So this means ANY module wouldn't work then. (any designed for the Jr. radio) How nice of them to shoot themselves in the foot.
Is this the th9x without module then?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yes..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well.. not entirely.

The Spektrum DM9 fits no problem.

The actual seeming standard is actually for the corner of the module that plugs in to have a 3-4mm indentation cut out of it.

The frsky version does not have this on it :-)

Rob
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

cre8tiveleo wrote:So this means ANY module wouldn't work then. (any designed for the Jr. radio) How nice of them to shoot themselves in the foot.
Is this the th9x without module then?
No it's the opposite. All "normal" JR modules have a gap there, only the DJT doesn't. FrSky took a little "shortcut" there...
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Well that just sux. :|
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

I just ordered new TH9x without module and FrSky DJT tx/rx combo a couple weeks ago (should be here anytime soon). So, I think I have to do the same modification also. Seems that it's better to do that into the tx module casing instead of radio itself if it is FrSky who is 'going around' the standards? Purpose is to modify radio so, that it will have telemetry available with frsky and also haptic feedback.
What goes up, must come down. -Isaac Newton
OpenTX - expanding possibilities
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

I can confirm, just opened my new FlySky FS-TH9X and it also has the modification around the module pins. I haven't ordered my FrSky DJT module yet, now wondering if I shouldn't rather use a DHT and build it into an old/empty module case, even if it means dealing with the switch. Has anyone tried that before? Does the DHT PCB even fit inside a module case?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Spoogy wrote:Seems that it's better to do that into the tx module casing instead of radio itself if it is FrSky who is 'going around' the standards?
Well, removing the bit of plastic on the radio is quick and simple, and only gets you back to how they shipped for years and worked fine. Modding the module is more complicated, "dirty" and still doesn't give you a good fit in the end, so...
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I would probably just take the plastic off if I did it again :-)

Silly thing is.. I was thinking... how do I remove that plastic without damaging the pins!

Then later I removed the pcb and and it removes the pins.. so easy to remove!
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

Aha, okay. So, removing the plastic from radio is more easier done. So shall be then. :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

FYI If I'm Correct?
The DHT Toggle Switch is only needed for non telemetry mode and FW upgrades and does unplug. So after the one time bind in telemetry mode I think is required then the toggle switch could be unplugged and kept for future use if space is a concern. The telemetry mode is with the toggle in the middle, no connection. I only use the telemetry mode so I don't need the switch unless I have room.
I'm open to corrections or additions as I want this info to 100% correct.
SM
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

That is correct.

I have done exactly that in the past

Rob
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've also removed tne binding board cables and resoldered them to the other side of the circuit board to allow other tight mounting options like in the Kraft tx module conversion I just did. It allowed the board to slip right in against the module top and have the wires extend out the cutoff module bottom. Half the fun is doing a clean conversion.
I've been asked to do several more after I iron put final encoder alignments. Kraft used1.4ms cdnter in those days and the newer servos like 1.5 ms no sub trims to tweak I'm afraid.
Back to the new 9x...
So the module bay is still the same dimensions except the pin area having to have the raised area cut down as I'm reading. Strange but I'm sure I'll run into this soon as several club members said they had them on order, thanks for the info.
SM
SM
skelator

Post by skelator »

the new TX broke my DJT pin as I didnt notice the extra plastic I have to open up my DJT and re-solder the pin, then proceed with killing the extra plastic with a wire cutter, I wish have checked before plugging in my DJT
Build.screw.up.build.again.fly.crash.repeat
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

You must have pushed pretty hard for it to break?
skelator

Post by skelator »

Rob Thomson wrote:You must have pushed pretty hard for it to break?
Probably yes :P, I was like what the hell this thing don't want to go in pressed it then heard something broke, I taken out the DJT i heard crackling sound from inside and opened up to find the PPM pin was snap off from the PCB board, I even need to cut a trace and connect it to the pin as the original copper was torn off, It was good that I have an intermediate soldering skill as i probably grounded until I can find someone can solder for me :)
martin555

Post by martin555 »

hello there, dear ppl.

please. let me know, here in this topic, if you find any other change made on turnigy 9x transmitter, like this plastic molding difference on the module pins.

thank you very much.

Marton.
our airfield www.nemesikle.hu facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nemesikle.hu

photos http://tinyurl.com/h5tnc2d

videos https://www.youtube.com/user/martin5martin5/videos
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

I found the module didn't line up with the pins on the new transmitter.
I cut all that useless plastic away on the back panel first after removing the pcb.
Then fitted the module to the pcb with no fixing screws.
Then fitted the screws, and resoldered the pins (they were dry-jointed anyway!)
Result, the pins line up with the module, which now fits perfectly :D
skelator

Post by skelator »

martin555 wrote:hello there, dear ppl.

please. let me know, here in this topic, if you find any other change made on turnigy 9x transmitter, like this plastic molding difference on the module pins.

thank you very much.

Marton.
not much beside what I can see:

1. plastic mold at the pin
2. New 3 way switch :)
3. the board now use those Yellow SMD capacitor instead of the black one in the old TX

others seem still the same as before oh yeah the color is now black instead of Gray :D
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

Okay, I finally (after many confusion from HK's side) got my new TH-9X without the transmitter module and I can confirm that there is that plastic mold around the pins. I dremelled those away - easily. I also attached suitable connector for my USB-programmer and soldered the wiring harness and the backlight with the transistor inside of the radio.

After that I started the transmitter very first time and played around with default software. While I was playing I noticed that the three position switch has been changed from pole style to flat style lever as other switches are. Feels more robust and I like that what it does for overall outlook for the radio. :)

Next step is to do update the software (Open9x) and begin to play with FrSky version of it. After that is working I'm planning to do sound/haptic mod (got the motor already ;) ).

Last edited by Spoogy on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

When I ordered 6 motnths ago. All my turnigy's came with the "pole" type handle. My FlySky's came with the "flat" type handle. I just repaired a new FlySky for a club member that connected his battery in reverse and he too has the flat handle switch as usuall but the tx module also has the new plastic sholder. His TX module also has the coax soldered in and the antenna is on the case top. All my FlySky tx's in the past had the antenna on the module. I'm thinking HobbyKing is going to the FlySky case and FlySky is going to having the antenna on the case now. Maybe to keep us from adding our own Frsky module? Maybe getting ready for the new Turnigy TX?
Good news is the changes are not critica. just a little more work on our part.
SM
B12

Post by B12 »

My Turnigy is with the pole type switch and my Flysky is with flat. I like the pole better. The flat switch is mechanically "most comfortable" in middle position, the pole one has solid notch in every position
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I just installed a DJT module in a newly received 9x with the plastic ridge around the module pins. Thanks to a early warning and how to's here I was ready if asked to modify the case. A quick 2 min with a rotary cutoff wheel and it was ready for the DJT module.
I've also noticed that the stock RF module has a different design inside.
The older ones must have not met the radiation specifications requirements of many countries?
Thanks again to everyone posting the case mod early on so I was prepared for it.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
zuadha

Post by zuadha »

i don't know this is another change by new 9x or just an anomaly. i ordered my 9x from HK on 28th september 2012.

and i got the trimpot (pit.trim-aux2) on the left side have different zero position. i think thas cool because you can clearly see the zero point (middle point) when you adjust it with your finger.

BUT after i flash to ER9x. the pot scale its reverse not like the sticker shown + and -. so i decide to resolder the pot, its quite easy. the pot have 3 pins one is a vcc, and the middle one is a signal (the divider result) and the last pin is a gnd. you just change the vcc and the gnd pin (both is outer pin).

this is the pict

and this is the cable after i change.. ( change the black and red wire)

btw sorry for my english, i'm an asian, english is not my primary language...
Last edited by zuadha on Mon May 05, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yeah, they have the wiring reversed. It's also reversed on the main stick pots on some units :(

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”