ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

ERSKY9x Questions

Post by Rob Thomson »

Example...

http://m.alibaba.com/product-gs/5289307 ... Cable.html

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

Kilrah

Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm, I'd appreciate a link too.
I've been looking for one (well, a full-size SD card, not microSD) for a friend of mine a couple of months ago, and spent a good couple of hours with no success. Yes I found several references, but none where I could actually purchase one. There were either eBay offers that weren't valid anymore, $100 industrial units, or Chinese wholesale suppliers with min order qtys of >100pc, but no source for single piece orders...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

One possible problem with these cables is they only extend the SD card signals, not the mechanical 'present' switch on the socket. So if the cable is plugged into the board, the software thinks there is a card present, and will try to initialise it.
The biggest problem with this is once a card is initialised, if you remove it, and put a different card in, either it won't be initialised, so won't work, or it could have data written to it that was intended for the original card, thus corrupting the contents.
As I haven't looked into SD cards that closely (I've left work on them while I get the voice working on er9x), I'm not certain if this will be a problem or not.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

ERSKY9x Questions

Post by Rob Thomson »

Only safe option... Don't swap the card unless you have powered down the radio!

Technically the firmware should always check on startup if the card is initialised - as you cant assume the user has not swapped it :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ocahc5
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
iwik

Post by iwik »

Thanks Brent,
Guys i ve had a look at these extension adapters but they look to me that the part that plugs into the Ersky bd is to long and would foul on the case. Cant see from the pics
if it would be possible to bend it up. Has anyone actually tried to use one yet.
Thought i might remove holder and stick it on its back so it now points inwards and hard wire to pcb. How hard is it to remove?.
Les

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

There is a 9 pin header under the socket .you would short out the board with it upside down..
Ribbon cable will solder into the 9 pin header (which includes the switch) so it could be moved elsewhere.

I have to remove a couple of bad SD card holders ..I'll let you know how hard it was.

-Brent
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Mike - How about a menu select that would allow you, to tell it to mount or dismount the card.?
iwik

Post by iwik »

Thanks Brent,
Please let me know, if i turn it as said i would have stuck it with d/s tape thus prevebting shorting.
Les
P.S I have access to SMD bench soldering station.
iwik

Post by iwik »

Hi all,
Have to buy a new battery to go with my Ersky9x upgraded radio. I will be adding the telemtry module(internal or external).
Read somewhere that some of these modules need more voltage. Considering ill be using these modules please recommend
what i should get. My board has the upgraded Voltage Regulator. I currently have in my radio two of the Trustfire LI ION
batteries, what about these. Appreciate any comments
Thanks
Les
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

My ersky9x with Frsky telemetry module is powered by 2 Trustfire Lion's with no problems. The specs on the Frsky module say a minimum voltage of 6.0 volts so your voltage warning should be set higher than that. With those lion cells you should have a minimum voltage warning of at least 7.0 volts.

Paul
iwik

Post by iwik »

Thanks Paul,
I shall fit the same to my Ersky9x Radio.
Les
iwik

Post by iwik »

Hi,
I have two questions,
1. Does anyone know what the 8 pin mini din socket that brent is using to fit in place of the Charger socket.
2. Im fitting the Optrex diaplay, just confirming that one has to remove a small part of the case 'to allow
the display to sit flat. The two bit are at the bottom of the case and was where the bottom two corners of the old display sat.
Im pretty sure this is correct, dont want to remove anymore than i have to.
Thanks
Les
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

You do not modify the case in any way to fit the optrex. You just remove the tabs from the optrex.
iwik

Post by iwik »

cre8tiveleo,
Thanks but there is no way my Optrex display will fit(i have removed the tabs),the lcd sits to high. In your case where the OLD lcd was,does it have
at the bottom of the case two RAISED right angled moldings(these were where the bottom corners of the other lcd fitted. My new lcd
width is ok but top to bottom sits on this raised right angled moulding. As i see it,i will have to remove the section of this raised portion that
runs parrallel to the bottom of the case.I will try and take some pics tonight to show u. Have to go to work now.
Les
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

iwik,
I notice that the four corners on the LCD frame stick up past the glass a bit, can you clip these off, that would lower the LCD a bit.

-Brent
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

I found you have to seperate to backlight from the LCD display in order to fit it properly, then
cut the right angle corners off the backlight frame, then fix it all back in with hot glue.
It's worth the effort!

Clive
iwik

Post by iwik »

Thanks Guys,
Just wanted to make sure i was'nt missing something. Will have a closer look tonight, like what Brent suggest.
Clivew, wanted to try and avoid dissaembly if i could,but if all else fails its another option. By the way do you have these ridges in your case which foul the
lcd?

Les
zann68

Post by zann68 »

Just a couple of quick questions - What do I need to use to update this New Board (Software/Hardware). The reason I ask I see references of not using eepe? The hardware part is the board updated via the USB port or do you need to use the USBasp AVR programmer?

Jeff
Calm down gravity is still working!! I just tested it.......
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just haven't had time to cobnsider updating eepe, as well as getting the ersky9x board working. However, much work has been done by others to get companion9x to 'talk' to this board.

The actual connection is USB, directly to the USB connector on the board. You then need to install SAM-BA, the program that actually 'talks' to the board. See here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=545#p6433 for instructions.

You can then either use SAM-BA directly, or companion9x will interface to SAM-BAm and operate very like eepe does for er9x.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
zann68

Post by zann68 »

MikeB wrote:I just haven't had time to cobnsider updating eepe, as well as getting the ersky9x board working. However, much work has been done by others to get companion9x to 'talk' to this board.

The actual connection is USB, directly to the USB connector on the board. You then need to install SAM-BA, the program that actually 'talks' to the board. See here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=545#p6433 for instructions.

You can then either use SAM-BA directly, or companion9x will interface to SAM-BAm and operate very like eepe does for er9x.

Mike.
Yeap! I remember seeing that!! Dang Sorry.

Thanks!
Calm down gravity is still working!! I just tested it.......
preston91

Post by preston91 »

I received my ersky board a few days ago. I installed sam-ba, uploaded and extracted the tac-lib zip file connected the board and dl'ed rev 78 everything worked OK. yesterday I attempted to connect to C9x to upload my eprom file but when I connected the usb cable my PC (win 7) didn't recognize the bd( no beep tone when I plugged the USB in) I uninstalled sam-ba and then re installed sam-ba and the tac-lib zip file as before. still no beeps. I don't have anything else connected to the board. checked voltage on the usb header 5.1v and measured 4.3v at J19. anyone got any ideas on whats going on and/or how to proceed?? Thanks for any input....

Paul
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The board should look like a USB device to the computer.
You could try to ERASE the Board.

Short out the ERASE jumper ... and plug in USB. ....un -plug the USB
remove the short.
Now plug in the usb

If this worked , you will need to run Sam-BA , and re-install the software , and load the applet that tells the chip to boot from
flash memory.
-Brent
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

c9x launches this applet automatically. But did you configure the SAM-BA settings?
Bertrand.
preston91

Post by preston91 »

OK here's what I did. I connected a display to see what the board was doing. when I connected the usb cable there was no beep to indicate my PC sees the usb I got the splash screen then a thr alarm screen. I pushed a button to clear rhe alarm screen and I got the USB screen AND a beep indicating usb recognition! opened sam-ba and got a ready indication. closed sam-ba and opened C9x and was able to upload my er9x eeprom. shut everything down and started over. Again I didn't get a usb recognition beep until I cleared the alarm screen and got the usb screen. So is this normal? if so,, I'm a happy camper!!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Which firmware? Open9x/ersky9x should skip the warning screens when the USB is plugged in. I think ersky9x/ersky9x as well.
Bertrand.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Usually when you plug in the usb it will switch over.
Try it with the radio turned off ..just the USB for power

The beep is good it shows the hardware is working .

-Brent
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Ok. I introduced a bug in ersky9x when working on companion9x simulation!
Mike saw it and fixed it in r78, but didn't upload a binary because more tests needed with RTOS (which is major change).
So ... sorry you have to press the keys in all alerts, before the usb bootloader is reached.

Bertrand.

PS: Mike / Brent there is an interesting example for USB from Atmel. The Tx could be seen as an USB mass storage showing the SD-Card! Hmmm. let's hope that the quality of the example is better than what I have seen one week ago with SD-card support ...
Mechcondrid

Post by Mechcondrid »

i should hope it would be better with Atmel rather than an "association" that charges you $1000/yr just to get the protocol for the sdcard standard lol
preston91

Post by preston91 »

Brent, I have just the board with an org lcd connected and only the usb to power it .

Bertrand, no problem with the alarm now that i know whats going on. I'm just excited to have such a powerful bd for my 9x. got a haptic,RN42 BT, Optic LCD(shipped on monday) and mini DIN plugs on the way. Once they arrive, I'll start the install. Thanks to Brent, Mike, Rob, Bertrand, and others who are doing the development work. the potential is off the charts....

Paul
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Brent, I have installed the board and all is working OK, so I am a happy camper. I have a question as to the function of the yellow and white wire and connection supplied with the mini din socket. Could I use them for a charging connection so that I would not have to remove the battery to charge it. I am using this battery http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17955 reading some of the posts re batteries I am now wondering if it is suitable. One further question regarding the diode on the charging circuit, is it needed or should it be removed.

Thanks to all involved in this exciting project the possibilities are endless.

David

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”