Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
slimvulcanrider

Re: Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

Post by slimvulcanrider »

ozphoenix wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 am 1. Your backwards-spinning motor sounds like you need to swap two (any two of the three) wires from the motor to the ESC -- nothing to do with the S6R, I think. The rest of your control surface issues are straight S6R configuration changes, not really ErSky9x with S6R issues -- see my URL recommendations, below.
2. Channels 5 and 6 need also to be configured in the S6R -- see my URL recommendations, below. Most recent S6Rs have shipped with 'Quick Mode' enabled by default, in which case setting them up is easier, but you lose the Knife-Edge and Hover modes, which it does not seem that you need. But, you also need to nominate what you want Ch 5 and Ch6 to do, in addition to defining them in the Mixes page of the model.
3. On the S6R, Fail Safe is set up from the radio model, correct, but it is no different to setting up fail safe on the Protocol Page in ErSky9x than any other receiver using XJT protocol.

To understand the S6R setup more completely, I suggest you visit this thread:
S6R users thread
and this thread:
S6R setup info

There are other sites, such as this very good one from diyRC:
Linkto diyrc site

Hope you can find what you need on these sites - the S6R is a great stabilised receiver - I have about 20 of them and 5 of the bigger S8R - love them, obviously.

Regards,
ozphoenix
slimvulcanrider wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 am I got my FrSky s6r to bind with my Turnigy 9XR Pro running a XJT module. I however encountered a couple of issues...

1) all channels are reversed... throttle stick works normal but motor spins backwards, ruder moves opposite direction of stick along with elevator... ailerons seam to work normal only because i have the servos mounted backwards in my wing.

2) channels 5 and 6 are not getting input from the sticks, so i had to get a "y" harness for my aileron servos.

3) i am trying to figure out how to set up my model in eepsky, and am having problems trying to understand how to set up failsafes along with flight modes. The project I am working on is a 4 channel high wing trainer for my 14 year old daughter... she built the plane her self and left me to figure out the electronics on it.

Any way any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've taken my time to read through all of these and deleted my original model, because I was more confused than when I first started. what I really need is an idiot's guide to setting up a model in eepskye.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Check at the bottom of all my posts. There is a link to some videos I have made about Ersky9x. They are quite old but might help you understand how Ersky9x works..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
slimvulcanrider

I am not much on watching video...I will try getting around to it this week end. in the mean time I found the information from diyrc to be very helpful and I got my model set up (kind of)... I got channel 5 working as AIL2. I am just not sure if I have the mixes set up right for channel 9, 10, 11, and 12... not even sure how to set up the self check on channel 12.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well the videos helped many people to understand how the mixer works :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
slimvulcanrider

Joao, i didnt say i wasnt going to watch them... just said i dont have the time right now to watch them... have to pull this system out of the plane so i can use the electronics out of my Champ S+ to get this plane in the air tonight... its a science project for my daughter and its due at 8 am PST.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Good luck..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
slimvulcanrider

thanks Joao... we are going to need it.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
When I update firmware on an SxR, I remove the XJT module from my 9XRPro and use (your documented) cable (with +5V removed) from the module bay pins to the S.Port of the Rx, which is powered from a separate source. This has worked successfully for 20x S6R and 5x S8R units - very happy with the process and works very reliably - many thanks for these useful tools.
I'm looking at a 'pilot plate' to mount my Tx on (to use a new neck strap) and one drawback is that the Tx would need to be 'unmounted' from the plate to access the module bay to remove the module so that I can update Rx firmware(s) - p-i-t-a!
Is there a way to use the externally available S.Port on the XJT module to program SxRs (leaving a servo cable installed but wrapped behind the Tx body when not in use) and then NOT need to remove the XJT module for SxR firmware updates?
At present, I believe that the current S.Port update firmware in the Tx will try to update the SxR firmware file INTO the XJT Module, since it finds an S.Port-compatible device (the XJT) in the module bay and connected to the 5-pin header.
No biggie if it is not possible - will just need to remove the Tx from its plate each time I want to update any Rx.
Regards,
ozphoenix
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, could bluetooth (implemented) do this?
Or.... wifi?? ;) (not implemented) :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, bluetooth and wifi won't do this.

ozphoenix: The following looks to work with the 'PRO.
1. Keep the XJT plugged in and connect just the SPort signal and ground from the back to a flying socket.
2. Provide a separate, switched supply for the device you wish to update.
3. Plug a 3.5mm jack plug into the 'PRO trainer socket while holding the horizontal trims apart. This powers the radio on in maintenance mode WITHOUT powering the XJT in the module bay.
You should now be able to update an external SPort device. I just tested this, in general, by using the "ChangeID" option on a FrSky, SPort vario.
If you don't have enough hands to hold the trims, there is a menu option in the "Radio Setup|General" menu to run maintenance mode.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

I was also wondering where João was going with the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi option - not sure how that could work, but doesn't matter now (see below).

Mike,
That's great! It works as you have proscribed.

I used the cables and setup as you had noted and connected a known-good S6R (previously flashed with 20170217.frk - my favourite but unofficial 'beta' version). I re-flashed it to 20170217.frk using your method and confirmed that it would bind properly and execute a 'Ch12' Self Test and DID NOT have QM present/functional (using the ErSky9x configuration tool on the 9XRPro). I re-flashed it to 20180328.frk using your method and confirmed that it would bind properly and execute a 'Ch12' Self Test and DID have QM present/functional (using the ErSky9x configuration tool on the 9XRPro). I re-flashed it to 20170217.frk using your method and confirmed that it would bind properly and execute a 'Ch12' Self Test and DID NOT have QM present/functional (using the ErSky9x configuration tool on the 9XRPro).

All expected and correct results and no unexpected 'damage' (read: erroneous re-flashing) of/to the XJT module.

So, you have provided the solution to my quandary - many thanks.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:54 pm No, bluetooth and wifi won't do this.

1. Keep the XJT plugged in and connect just the SPort signal and ground from the back to a flying socket.
3. Plug a 3.5mm jack plug into the 'PRO trainer socket while holding the horizontal trims apart. This powers the radio on in maintenance mode WITHOUT powering the XJT in the module bay.
You should now be able to update an external SPort device. I just tested this, in general, by using the "ChangeID" option on a FrSky, SPort vario.
If you don't have enough hands to hold the trims, there is a menu option in the "Radio Setup|General" menu to run maintenance mode.

Mike
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ozphoenix wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 am I was also wondering where João was going with the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi option
Well, the Bluetooth modules can work as serial communication devices. A very good example of that in Ersky9x is that you can send telemetry to your android device, or any other device that can display it over Bluetooth.
In Ersky9x you can use bluetooth as a Teacher / Student trainer setup.
In Ersky9x you can also connect your radio to eepskye on your PC over bluetooth and program your models in real time, but using eepskye on the PC instead of using the radio screen.
There is more you can do of course. :) And this is why I thought that Bluetooth could be used in your case :)

The wifi suggestion was a little hint and joke. Mike understood it ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Neither bluetooth nor wifi can respond quickly enough to flash a SPort device, the radio link adds too much latency.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahhh, that is a shame :(

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike - BTW - from my testing, the XJT module retains power (red LED active) if you choose 'Maintenance Menu' from 'Radio Setup/General' - even if you plug a 3.5mm jack plug into the JR/trainer socket. That implies that the XJT module would be re-flashed (incorrectly) if you used this method, instead of using the Trims during Power Up (which, as I have tested, works properly) -- correct?

regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:54 pm No, bluetooth and wifi won't do this.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tested that and it worked OK.
Don't touch the power switch, just plug in the jack plug and the radio powers on normally (as a student Tx for trainer), but the module should stay off.
Now go to the RADIO|GENERAL menu and select "Run Maintenance". You should get to maintenance mode with the module still powered off.
The module power is switched by the power switch.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ah, yes, using your sequence does work that way (of course). The clue is in your last sentence - I went to the Run Maintenance with the radio already turned on, thinking that would then turn off the module power. But, not if the module power is supplied by the power switch.
Ok, now all clearer - and, that sequence of yours gives me another path, as you rightfully pointed out.
Many thanks - that's all for now.
regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:26 am I just tested that and it worked OK.
Don't touch the power switch, just plug in the jack plug and the radio powers on normally (as a student Tx for trainer), but the module should stay off.
Now go to the RADIO|GENERAL menu and select "Run Maintenance". You should get to maintenance mode with the module still powered off.
The module power is switched by the power switch.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

FrSky have posted new firmware for the S6R and S8R receivers.

This fixes the problem with only some RxNums working. It also fixes a problem where SPort data from the Tx didn't "pass through" the SxR.

I've just flashed a S8R (with the FCC version) and tested with RxNums from 0 to 10, all worked. This is with an early X9D+ twhere only some RxNums worked before.

I've also used my "ChangeId" script (on erskyTx), and changed the physical ID of a FAS sensor "over the air" using this S8R. This didn't work before either, or at least changing the voltage on a Neuron ESC didn't work.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

Once I flash my S8R's will I have to recalibrate and do setup again ? no problem if I do as you have made it extremely easy

Thanks
Allen
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think so, the calibration and setup should be kept. I just checked the S8R I flashed and the gains look to be as I set them, they were not the default values.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

having some issues with my RX. A few weeks back I had firmware issues and we got that figured out....or so I though. I had 2 rx's that would do nothing. I reverted back to an older firmware and then back to the latest (non 2.0). I did this on one RX and it then was able to go into self check with the switch. I have put it in the plane and now it won't go into self check.

I have a second that is followed the same procedure but did not try self check on the bench as I had not programmed it in the TX ( yah, should have just bound to the other plane). Now it is in the plane and I need to run self check and it will not run. I have it on a 3 position switch and when I switch it I see it go into the auto level mode but 3 times in 3 seconds does nothing. Is it possible I am doing it too fast? If not what might I check? Or do I just need to try re flashing the firmware?

Version S8R_FCC_20190531.frk is the last firmware I used
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You must clearly stop at the middle position otherwise it won't take.
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

So you are saying have a slight pause at the middle position?

I created a curve that would not allow the switch past 0 and even that did not work.
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

Just an update on my issue this is on a gasser and what I've found is if you have to reverse your throttle servo in any way be it a curve, a reverse on the first tab throttle reverse or in the mix or on the outputs it will prevent you from going into self check. I haven't checked yet but setting limits above -100 on Throttle might also keep you from doing that.
not quite sure how I'm going to proceed because I have to reverse my throttle probably just do the self test reverse the throttle and hopefully never have to do self test again
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The self test is to set the "level" position and the servo limits for aileron, elevator and rudder. In general, you only need to do that once. No reason why you need to have the engine running to do that.
From a test I just did, the throttle channel needs to be below about -80% to be able to enter self check.

I will mention this to FrSky.

Possible changes you could do to sort this are to re-route the throttle linkage to the "other" side of the servo arm or use a similar servo that rotates in the opposite direction!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

Thanks Mike. not trying to run with the engine running. No chance of running it to the opposite side as the servo is right up against the side of the engine box. I am looking for the possibility of a servo programmer for the XQ digital servos to change its direction. For now I will just switch the servo direction back if I need to do it again. Just wanted people to be aware of this as it took me (after asking here) 6 hours to track down the cause.

Maybe FrSky can add a check box in setup if there is a reversed throttle servo?

Over in RC groups I was told that this RX should not be run in a gasser. I trust you more Mike, what are your thoughts?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If not doing the self check with the engine running, just use full throttle when entering self check.

The vibration from an IC engine may cause some problems, although I believe the firmware was changed from the first release to mitigate this. As I only fly electric (not flown IC for over 10 years), I have no experience with the SxR with IC. The Rx needs to by fairly firmly mounted, so it may do the stab and auto-level functions, but some foam to eliminate vibration seems a good idea.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

Yes, mounted with 3m double sided foam tape. I do while idle get a flash of yellow from the led. I had one in a 30cc gasser that seemed to work fine. Plan on taking it up high and see how it handles it. If I have to go with no stab it's not a biggie. I typically only use it to help smooth things out on really Gusty days anyway. Thanks, will let you know how it runs
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think the reason they state it shouldn't be used with an IC engine could be electromagnetic interference?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Mostly vibration, stabilisation uses accelerometers and gyroscopes, vibration can introduce huge errors...

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”