Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
bob195558

Re: Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

Post by bob195558 »

OK with me also.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

ozphoenix wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:38 pm Oops, sorry about that - not sure how that happened :(

I meant this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ry/page319

Too Many Toys has created a separate, excellent, thread about set up to help (now a closed thread, but full of useful stuff) - go to here for a filtered version of the bigger thread (above):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -And-Users

It's well worth a read and the information is accurate.
I have been right through TMT's blog a couple of times and am still trying to make sense of it. I am using an X7 with the latest test version of erysky 9x ver 221f3, and it operates somewhat different from a Taranis and open-tx and I think that is where my confusion arises. I can get Mike's example to work, I think, but it does not work the way Mike describes it.

If there is anyone out there with a working model using the S8R using ersky9x I would be interested in a copy of their model definition. I have no problems setting up Lemon stabs and the stab +, but this one is causing me no end of grief, I would give them away except that I need 8 channels for a couple of gas powered models and Lemon does not provide that many channels.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Can you run the S6R script I posted (works with S8R)? If so, what is "Quick Mode" set to?
Extract from the text file for the firmware where this was added:
"2017.5.16
1.add config convenient Mode
2.defualt mode is simpleMode
3.In Convenient Mode:
channel10 <mid starter mode
=mid middle mode
>mid export
4.when throttle is low,channel12 has passed mid two times in 3s,will enter selfcheck mode.
5.when channel12 >mid,enter ugernt mode.
6.blue led will flash 3s when power on in convenient Mode."

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:04 pm Can you run the S6R script I posted (works with S8R)? If so, what is "Quick Mode" set to?
Extract from the text file for the firmware where this was added:
"2017.5.16
1.add config convenient Mode
2.defualt mode is simpleMode
3.In Convenient Mode:
channel10 <mid starter mode
=mid middle mode
>mid export
4.when throttle is low,channel12 has passed mid two times in 3s,will enter selfcheck mode.
5.when channel12 >mid,enter ugernt mode.
6.blue led will flash 3s when power on in convenient Mode."

Mike.
I have ran the script and Quick Mode is enabled. I have also played around with some of the setting, but I can only disable stabilisation with SCv and SDv. :?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A quote from this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... count=4545.

"Basically Quick Mode (or Convenient or Simple Mode) is an S6R mode for Dummies nothing more.
It was put out in response to people who were having trouble with wrapping their head around Two switches for mode selection and who also needed a safety blanket "Urgent Mode" a panic button. This Urgent Mode (Self Level) is selected when you take Ch12 to a +100% or Down position.
Ch10 alone gives you Self Level Mode when (-100%) Up, Stability Mode when (0.0%) Mid and OFF when (+100%) Down.
There is No Ch11 switch needed and therefore No Knife Edge or 3D hover function available.
They call these Modes "Starter Mode", "Middle Mode" and "Export Mode", misspelled "Expert" in some cases.
The latest or Beta firmware sets Quick Mode as the Default mode, so you need to [un-Tick] QM for Normal modes."

So, in this mode CH11 is not used, and CH10 and CH12 control the operation (with CH9 as master gain). You don't have "hover" or "knife edge" available in this mode.

If you understand how to configure channels 10 and 11 to get the required mode, then I suggest you turn "Quick Mode" off. You can do that from the script. With "Quick Mode" off, then the Rx should work as described in the manual.

At present, it seems there is no proper documentation for "Quick Mode" on the FrSky site.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Thanks for your help Mike, I have something working, I think, I will put it in my old sacrificial model and get it up two mistakes high and then try it out. :lol: I will let you know how things go.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The first time I tried a stabilising receiver (Lemon), I got the aileron correction reversed. It was interesting when I switched stabilising on the first time! The model was (is) a small 3D type model with a very fast roll rate!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

One thing I noticed with all that radio programming I noticed that you do not have the SWCH option for a source and also with SA SB SC etc options SC text description identifies it in two different places as Scaler 1. This is immediately after CH32 in the list of options, later in the list you have SC1, SC2 etc which I assume are the real Scalers.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Add a line:
SC ,Switch SC
in Helptel.txt just before the line starting:
SC1 ,

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I found I had a bug in the S6R script. When changing servo directions they would change from Normal to Inverse but not Inverse to Normal.
I've posted an updated version that fixes this.

I've created a thread for ersky9x scripts in general here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10668.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just updated the SportSet program (on first post) to support the Quick Mode setting of the S6R/S8R (Windows only so far).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've fixed a couple more bugs in the S6R script. You couldn't edit values on a X7 or X9E (encoder only), and editing "offset" type values didn't work properly.
I've posted the update on the ersky9x scripts thread (see 2 posts back).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kiwihornplayer

Post by kiwihornplayer »

Can someone outline how to access to the menu selection for accessing Mike's .bas script for S6R configuration on a Taranis QX7. I have put the script in the telemetry folder on the SD card and have accidentally stumbled upon it once but can't get back to it.

The only description I found for access was a long up button press at the top of some menu but that does not seem to work for a QX7.
kiwihornplayer

Post by kiwihornplayer »

I have located the script - shows up on page 8 of scripts but does not always appear if the page opens up on 8/12. Just stays blank with a black scroll band that will scroll downwards on the QX7. I have to scroll through all the pages back to 8 when S6R Configure finally appears at top. Managed to navigate through all the settings but cannot find any way of saving or writing the settings to the S6R. Is each setting, say aileron direction, transferred upon leaving the normal/inverse selection? Doesn't seem to work for me.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've put the S6R/S8R script (S6R.bas) on the er9x site (http://www.er9x.com/), together with some instructions for using both the script and the dedicated menu (follow the "Instructions" link. I've put a copy of the instructions on the first post of this thread.

In the last few days I did find a problem on the QX7 editing values using the script (due to using the encoder only). This is fixed, so please download the script from the site.

You should be able to run a script from the main popup:
S8R9_4.png
S8R9_4.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 21359 times
When using the dedicated menu, you use a short MENU press to read a value and a LONG MENU press to write a value.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kiwihornplayer

Post by kiwihornplayer »

Thanks Mike. It is really simple when one knows how it is done.
mogplus8

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi MIke, just stumbled across this post while researching another problem and noticed your program SportSet1Linux. I downloaded it and tried to run it, but got an error message telling me that libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 could not be found. I checked my installation and I found I have libQt5PrintSupport5 installed. (Synaptic found it, the standard software management facility had no idea...) Presumably this is a later version than the one your program is using, so just thought I'd let you know. I am running Linux Mint 18.3.
Cheers, Ian
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I run Linux in a virtualbox on Windows. I did the installation a few years ago now, so I have quite an old version running. I only use it to build programs for Linux. I'm really going to need to find time to upgrade to a newer copy of Linux.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mogplus8

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the quick response. Please don't sweat it on my account. I'm using Windows in Virtualbox to update my SnR receivers, but it would be nice to be able to do it under Linux. I meant the post to just be a heads up that it's not working under the latest version of Mint (and presumably Ubuntu, which Mint is built on).
Cheers, Ian
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,
There's someone reporting a strange ersky9x behavior while setting his S6R up. He says he cannot change the Wing Type value using navigation buttons (arrows) - there's no reaction at all. The only thing that works for him is the P3. He tried both the new script and the built-in configurator (in the ersky), and he's using the latest ersky9x test version from the test versions thread (running on an AR9x).

I don't have an SxR to test now, so I can't check myself...
Perhaps, he has some general radio settings in a way that block left-right navigation arrows, but enable pot scrolling?
(though, he says the navigation buttons work perfectly fine on all other screens)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Can you confirm he is using "ProvR222a9" please? I've just put this (with a couple of extra changes) on an AR9X and I can edit a S8R OK.
There is a problem if you enable "Menu Only Editing" in the built in configurator as you need the menu button to do the reading and writing, so cannot enable the editing, although P3 editing does work.
With the script you do need to press MENU to allow the entries to be changed.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

MikeB wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:32 pm Can you confirm he is using "ProvR222a9" please? I've just put this (with a couple of extra changes) on an AR9X and I can edit a S8R OK.
He certainly tried it with ProvR222a8 and the "official" r221.
I'll confirm about 222a9 tomorrow, although I don't expect the r9 to work any different for him (I guess it's something related to his particular configuration).
MikeB wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:32 pm There is a problem if you enable "Menu Only Editing" in the built in configurator as you need the menu button to do the reading and writing, so cannot enable the editing, although P3 editing does work.
This looks very similar to what he described.
Where's that "Menu Only Editing" located? I may have missed the moment when this option was introduced... :(
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Radio Setup|General.
I've got a change in so that option is ignored when in the S6R configure menu, it will be in r222b1 when I post it.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ah, I found it!
I will explain it to the guy. I really think disabling pot scrolling will solve his issue.
(will post back when I get an update from him)

Thanks a lot!
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

The guy had Scrolling was set to 'BOTH' (in General settings). He changed it to 'NONE', but then he was unable to change his S6R settings at all.
So he reverted back to 'BOTH'...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check if "Menu Only Edit" is ticked. If it is, this requires MENU to be pressed to enable edifing of values, which is not compatible with the S6R/S8R menu operation that needs MENU to read data from the Rx.
I've just posted "r222b1" that disables "Menu Only Edit" for the S6R/S8R menu.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike, sorry for the delay with my update. It took us some time to check this.
Yes, "unticking" the "MENU only Edit" option resolved the issue completely!
The guy didn't check the r222b1, but I'm sure it will work as you described (I will test it on my radio, but I will need to get my hands on an SxR first).

Thanks a lot!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've was asked by PM on RCG about using aileron differential on a flying wing when using a SxR.
Because the SxR does the AIL and ELE mixing, you cannot do this using normal differential mixing as the ailerons are not on separate channels, like 1 and 5.
You need to some mixes on the radio to create the differential in such a way that the mixing in the SxR creates the correct movement.
I've worked out the following. Suppose you want 40% differential.
Set channel 1 to 80% AIL. The 80% is 100%-20%, where 20% is HALF the differential you want.
Set channel 2 with 100% ELE as normal.
Now you need two more mixes on channel 2, 1 for when AIL is >0 and one for when it is <0.
+20% AIL (curve x>0)
-20% AIL (curve x<0)
Again, the 20% weights are HALF the required differential.
On one servo output, these increase the AIL response up to 100% (80%+20%) while on the other output these reduce the AIL output to 60% (80%-20%).

This looks correct on the bench with a couple of servos. In an actual wing I suspect you may need to swap the +20% and -20% and/or the x>0 and x<0 settings to get the correct response.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
slimvulcanrider

Post by slimvulcanrider »

I got my FrSky s6r to bind with my Turnigy 9XR Pro running a XJT module. I however encountered a couple of issues...

1) all channels are reversed... throttle stick works normal but motor spins backwards, ruder moves opposite direction of stick along with elevator... ailerons seam to work normal only because i have the servos mounted backwards in my wing.

2) channels 5 and 6 are not getting input from the sticks, so i had to get a "y" harness for my aileron servos.

3) i am trying to figure out how to set up my model in eepsky, and am having problems trying to understand how to set up failsafes along with flight modes. The project I am working on is a 4 channel high wing trainer for my 14 year old daughter... she built the plane her self and left me to figure out the electronics on it.

Any way any help would be greatly appreciated.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

1. Your backwards-spinning motor sounds like you need to swap two (any two of the three) wires from the motor to the ESC -- nothing to do with the S6R, I think. The rest of your control surface issues are straight S6R configuration changes, not really ErSky9x with S6R issues -- see my URL recommendations, below.
2. Channels 5 and 6 need also to be configured in the S6R -- see my URL recommendations, below. Most recent S6Rs have shipped with 'Quick Mode' enabled by default, in which case setting them up is easier, but you lose the Knife-Edge and Hover modes, which it does not seem that you need. But, you also need to nominate what you want Ch 5 and Ch6 to do, in addition to defining them in the Mixes page of the model.
3. On the S6R, Fail Safe is set up from the radio model, correct, but it is no different to setting up fail safe on the Protocol Page in ErSky9x than any other receiver using XJT protocol.

To understand the S6R setup more completely, I suggest you visit this thread:
S6R users thread
and this thread:
S6R setup info

There are other sites, such as this very good one from diyRC:
Linkto diyrc site

Hope you can find what you need on these sites - the S6R is a great stabilised receiver - I have about 20 of them and 5 of the bigger S8R - love them, obviously.

Regards,
ozphoenix
slimvulcanrider wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 am I got my FrSky s6r to bind with my Turnigy 9XR Pro running a XJT module. I however encountered a couple of issues...

1) all channels are reversed... throttle stick works normal but motor spins backwards, ruder moves opposite direction of stick along with elevator... ailerons seam to work normal only because i have the servos mounted backwards in my wing.

2) channels 5 and 6 are not getting input from the sticks, so i had to get a "y" harness for my aileron servos.

3) i am trying to figure out how to set up my model in eepsky, and am having problems trying to understand how to set up failsafes along with flight modes. The project I am working on is a 4 channel high wing trainer for my 14 year old daughter... she built the plane her self and left me to figure out the electronics on it.

Any way any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”