Er9x or Open9x?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Flaps 30

Er9x or Open9x?

Post by Flaps 30 »

I have been watching the way that Open9x has progressed, in particular certain aspects of it that as a glider guider I'm starting to like the look of. The *addition of telemetry alarms that work with the 9x and not the Frsky buzzer has got me thinking about changing over to Open9x, as I wish to use a vario that would enable me to have an output on the TX as I have already added an earphone output for such uses.

I haven't looked into the major differences between the two versions of software and I am wondering what they may be, and what would I have to redo in my model setups. That is assuming that they are both compatable.

Of course with the chances of more space in the Er9x being made available, perhaps some addition could be made to it to add telemetry alarms (plus haptic options) to the system, unless it already has it and I have missed a trick there.

* -----> How to settle custom alarms on Telemetry

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Er9x or Open9x?

Post by MikeB »

I'm looking at some of this for er9x, I've been busy getting ersky9x up to speed. There is an option on er9x RADIO SETUP, FrSky Int. Alarms, that turns off the FrSky module buzzer alarms, and allows you to select different sounds/haptic for FrSky alarm levels for A1 and A2.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

A few points are mentioned here...
http://code.google.com/p/open9x/

But the best is to just try yourself :)
Use Companion9x, start by backing up your EEPROM to a file, then in C9X preferences select open9x with the options you want, download, and flash open9x with the backup/restore eeprom option. The EEPROM will be automatically converted (check afterwards for safety, but normally most of the things should be correct).
If you go back to ER9X then restore the backup you did earlier (well at least that's what I'd do instead of reconverting an already converted file...)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, was that already implemented in eepe? I can't find that option..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Er9x and Open9x are essentially much the same... but also very different!

In some ways... er9x is actually simpler. Primarily in the telemetry alarm setup. But... open9x is way more powerfull when it comes to telemetey options!

On the other had.. er9x is more 'configurable'. One rom... set your options on the config page. Open9x... multiple roms.. compiled in options.

I have lately found myself using open9x. Primarily for the telemetry options; but also just because I can! Why not :-) Choice is a good thing!
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Er9x may be a bit behind open9x, partly because I have been getting ersky9x up to speed, I hope to put some more effort into er9x as well now ersky9x is running.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good discussion about the two firmwares. Help!
I need more telemetry alarms and open9x may solve that?

Using er9x and the Frsky hub I'm able to display the hubs sensors, altitude, temp, and using the new Frsky voltage adapter individual cell voltages. What I did find is I can't seem to set any alarms to trigger when any sensor or cell voltage reads a certain value. So far my test point to the er9x FW only monitors the data from the A1, A2, and stand alone WS HHigh  altimeter, no alarms using the hub data.
This is my thinking and I put it on hold to get ersky9x ready to fly. 
Any comments on what FW has better options for telemetry hub alarms/triggers? 
Open9x as well?
Not many have actually commented on using the hub and all it's sensors and individual  alarm much for any FW available. I could use any help with best FW to use to for sensor alarms.
Thank you
SM
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Here are the variables you can use as alarm sources in open9x. You'd create a custom switch here, then use that custom switch to trigger an action in "function switches".

The actual sound options depend on the board you have. On the stock board with beeper all you can do is trigger a continuous beep that sounds any time the condition is true. That could probably be improved with a couple of different beeping schemes to be more convenient.
Attachments
custom.png
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Er9x has stagnated a bit while there appear to be several people currently doing things to open9x. Obviously, I've been working to get the ersky board running, writing all the low level stuff to make things work. I hope now to get a bit more done to er9x. Erazz is probably tied up with PIPO at present.
As far as er9x is concerned, the altitude alarm shouild function whether the source is a WSHH, FrSky vario, or FrSky GPS, also there is an alarm for any individual cell going below a set value (second telemetry setup menu).
I'll look into adding some more alarms, are there some specific ones you are looking for?
I need to plan how I'm going to do the alarms.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Er9x or Open9x?

Post by Rob Thomson »

I think that you are correct. Er9x. Is currently a little bit behind. But sure to catch up. In the same way open9x was able to get all your code for the sky9x board... I am sure there is plenty that can move the other way too!

It's the way it is with the firmware development!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

MikeB wrote:Er9x has stagnated a bit while there appear to be several people currently doing things to open9x. Obviously, I've been working to get the ersky board running, writing all the low level stuff to make things work. I hope now to get a bit more done to er9x. Erazz is probably tied up with PIPO at present.
As far as er9x is concerned, the altitude alarm shouild function whether the source is a WSHH, FrSky vario, or FrSky GPS, also there is an alarm for any individual cell going below a set value (second telemetry setup menu).
I'll look into adding some more alarms, are there some specific ones you are looking for?

Mike.
Thanks Mike.
I'll set it all up again and try it. As you're busy with all the coding, I'm in the middle of helping with er9x builds, Frsky modules in non 9x radios but using telemetry options, and the ersky9x board. I made the happy mistake of putting on a few club talks and really started something. To my honest suprise I discovered how many in our hobby have never used a soldering iron except for Deans plugs. So a little soldering required to help them out and then as here with "us" the programming and menu questions start. I'm not using all the telemetry feature the hub provides enen though I have it all. My club member friends I'm helping have it all and want it all to set off alarms.
My first go aroung with the hub and the new Frsky cell monitor does show the cells but we never were able to set voltage alarm. This will be fully explored asap to put it to rest but it seems like the others are in over their heads. I'm sure you and others have felt like this when all our questions happen. I feel your pain now that I got so involved but I'm sure learning a lot answering their questions, as long as you still answer mine ha ha.
I have enough radios to load er9x, open9x, and my newest er9xsky board. I'm going to try and compair the options, hopefull I'll get some member help there.
OK, I'll have time tonight to sort the alarms and hub out on er9x and make a detailed list of what I can set.
SM
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Er9x or Open9x?

Post by Rob Thomson »

I still think that ersky9x should base off open9x. For only one key reason.

Long term there is less code to maintain - the way the build works allows all systems to 'inherit' off the same source code. This makes it similar all round. (although harder when you first start)

Rob

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not convinced. We have a full 32 bit processor, the code really should be written for it. I have tweaked a few bits for ersky9x to make use of it.
I have a feeling we should be creating code for it specifically, we have so much more in the way of resources.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Er9x or Open9x?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Fair point :)

SamoaFlyer

Post by SamoaFlyer »

MikeB wrote: . . . I'll look into adding some more alarms, are there some specific ones you are looking for?

Mike.
YES!! The most useful telemetry alarm I could want would be on your computed battery capacity (mAh) and displayed in large characters. As it is, frequent visual monitoring is needed to make use of this feature, which really isn't practical.

Icing on the cake would be to also have telemetry alarms available as sources in custom switches like open9x has. This would allow action to be taken on the plane triggered by an alarm. In my case I would use a capacity alarm to fire a strobe on the plane to provide a visual alarm in addition to the audio one. For a warbird that isn't much of a glider, running out of power is the last thing you want.

Many thanks for your efforts and consideration Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I'm looking into this. I'll get something in soon to give you an alarm. I'll probably change/improve on it as we go on. I'm thinking on the lines of having a number of FrSky alarms (four?) that you can select what causes the alarm, at what level the alarm happens, may need a > or < option, and then a choice of sound for the alarm. Initially I'll get an alarm going for the battery capacity when greater than a set value (model specific), I'm actually testing this now. I'll add better functionality later.
Then I think I'll add possible active alarms into the custom switch inputs to give the strobe lights option.
I could copy open9x, but then all we would have is 2 copies of the same thing. On ersky9x we can probably have a complete alarm system.
The changes I'm intending to make should just load up and work, no changing of the EERPOM necessary. One of my targets, where possible, is to enhance er9x without requiring models to be re-programmed unless they need the new functions.
Oh yes, I'm slipping a blade count for the RPM while doing these changes.
We may need to do a bit of a revamp at some point as we are likely to end up with some duplication of functionality as we already have internal alarms for some of the FrSky data, I'd like to rationalise it eventualiy.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

I have a slightly different point of view.

er9x has reached a point where the functionality is pretty much as we want it to be. There are a couple of things we'd like to change but that will have to wait for v2.

open9x has taken its own direction and that's great! This is the power of open source. No one fw will fit all. For some it would be er9x, for others open9x, for other still it might be Radioclone, gruvin or th9x!

Point is that you should choose what works for you and what you feel comfertable with. Heck, if I'd have felt more comfertable with open9x I would have changed! :)

Concerning ersky9x, I think it shouldn't be shackelded by the past. The performance and abilities of the board are much greater! As stated above, my current focus is elsewhere but I'm still tinkering with ersky9x and I'm sure we can make it surpass everything else!
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
purcilas

Post by purcilas »

What I would like to see in er9x is configurable telemetry screens :)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll get to it! Not sure whether to have it model specific, or radio specific, model specific could use up a lot of EEPROM, limiting the number of models that may be stored.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't understand much about this, and it was probably discussed somewhere but would it be possible to add an external eeprom to the mega 64?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Possible, but the usual problem of finding 2 or 3 spare pins to connect to it. Then there is the code to communicate to it, plus it would not be accessible from eepe.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yeah, I understand.. it would have to be something like an SD card.. Probably the same that would handle the audio files as well when it comes to it.. ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Crucial

Er9x or Open9x?

Post by Crucial »

Keep fighting the good fight Joao. I am waiting patiently as well forth enhanced audio.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike already told us that is not forgotten.. Hands up for him.. He's got a lot of work on his table and is kind of "alone" doing the programming at the moment???
At the end I'm sure he will come up with a very interesting solution for the audio and other stuff..

Thanks Mike

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Just found something I really like in open9x!

Simplicity.

At first I was confused as to where the er9x style 'instant trim' option had gone.

Quick check with Betrand and I discovered it is configured in the function switch settings page. Even better... the settings are not actually saved until you go to limits and apply them!

Why is this simpler? Actually it is'nt. but that is the point! The complex settings are all hidden away from the end user (noob). In some ways.. this can actually help a noob get to grips with the basics first.

Simply.. no information overload!

Guess this is food for thought on the menu structure on er9x. Many options need to be cleaned away into an 'advanced' config page :-) (which is something I said I would do - and have not had the time)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep... and one think I really prefer on open9x and made me stay with it is the insert/edit/copy/delete approach for mixes and D/Rs. Cleaner too IMO :)
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Having played with the telemetry alarms using the 9x as the destination. I can say that it does virtually all that I need. It's nice to have the seperate RSSI alarms being left to the Frsky module. Please leave it that way. :)
SamoaFlyer wrote:YES!! The most useful telemetry alarm I could want would be on your computed battery capacity (mAh) and displayed in large characters..
That would be great, but I cannotr see how that can be implemented to please everyone, as it would need a number of look up tables, depending on the number (and type) of cells being used.

As for additional alarms. I find that the types of alarms isn't too bad. Just one (or two) missing for use with a vario. For that application I would like to have say half or one second beeps as the alarm sound. The icing on the cake would be to have another alarm that could be hooked into the same channel as the first alarm, that would take priority over the first alarm should the voltage rise or fall from another set point. The second alarm would have faster or slower beeps. That would allow a vario to give some indication of an increase or decrease in climb rate.

If I had a second TX. I would give Open9x a try. But I haven't got one and it looks like it could be a long time before they come available or priced sensibly again.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Flight pack capacity alarm is now in er9x. Assumes you have a current sensor on one of A1 or A2 on your Rx. The capacity limit is configured in the second telemetry menu (the one with RSSI). You set it in steps of 64mAh, and select the sound you want. If you haven't tried it, set the sound to PiSpkr, even if you only have the stock beeper. The FrSky internal alarm sounds don't sound too bad.
You can also set the number of blades for the RPM, and there is a second trigger for timer1, you can include the safety switch on the throttle triggering.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I've been using the speaker in PiSpkr for a while and I agree with Mike.. it's not that bad

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”