Taranis setup for telemetry sensors

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
mdr1031

Taranis setup for telemetry sensors

Post by mdr1031 »

So I've hooked up three of the smart port sensor in a row the FLVSS, FCS-40A, and the high precision vario in conjunction with my Taranis and X8R. The problem I'm having seems to be mainly with the current sensor. I had it hooked up and displaying cnsp on the radio after the flight the cnsp read around 3800mah, but when I charged the battery my charger put back around 4500mah. I searched but couldn't find much on these new sensors and was wondering if anyone might have some answers. Another thing that I haven't tried which might be the problem is on the tele page in the tx (pg 12/13) for voltage and current I have them setup as the defaults A1 and --- respectively.

Kilrah

Re: Taranis setup for telemetry sensors

Post by Kilrah »

You should use FAS as current, and either FAS or Cels as voltage as you've got both sensors.
mdr1031

Post by mdr1031 »

I was thinking I may have answered my own question! Thanks. Another thing I did notice with the Voltage sensor is that it seems to be off by .03 volts when testing the battery with it against my multi meter. Is there calibration that I need to be doing in the tx itself to make sure everything is accurate?
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Your charger will always show more mah back into the battery then the telemetry showed that you used. This is due to the inefficiencies in the charging process. Some of the current put into the battery is given off as heat. You can notice this most when you use a high C charge rate. Some batteries are advertised as capable of accepting a 5C or greater charge rate. If you charge at that rate then you will definitely have a warm battery after the charge. The charger and associated wiring will not be 100% efficient and depending on the charger circuitry it can be a significant number. If the mah put back into the battery is less than the consumption measured than there is a definite calibration problem with the radio or the charger.

Paul
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's actually more during dischage that you lose energy than during charge. When your battery is warm after a flight, this is energy that a mAh meter never measures as it never comes out of the battery.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not exactly. You still measure the correct mAh, the heat in the battery is caused by a voltage drop, not a loss of capacity.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yeah well... we measure the "useable" mAh outside of the battery, if the battery heats up that energy is lost as heat which in practice means the battery will be empty before it has been able to supply the rated mAh.

It's the whole "battery capacity being indicated as mAh" thing that isn't very appropriate or should read "assuming no losses".
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, I don't agree, mAh used is totally different from energy used. The battery heats up, as I said, due to the voltage drop caused by internal resistance. The battery may appear empty before reaching its rated capacity if you discharge it at a higher rate that for which it is rated. However, if you then let it rest for a while, you should be able to obtain the 'lost' capacity at the rated discharge rate.

Energy is current*voltage*time. mAh is only related to current.

The amount of mAh you put back in does not differ greatly from that taken out.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”