9X vs 9XR

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
shiftty

9X vs 9XR

Post by shiftty »

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I have been sifting through threads for hours and can't seem to find what I am looking for...

Background - Building quad for aerial photography/videography. Bought and using 9X v2 to practice on a Syma X1 while I wait for parts to all arrive.

I have installed the backlight. I also bought a USBASP programmer to install er9x (which appears to have the resistor issue, but that's beside the point). My soldering skills are not up to the task and I fried the main board. Traces pulled up, etc. Pretty sure it's beyond repair at this point, certainly with my soldering skills.

My question: Should I buy another 9X and use the no-solder smartieparts board or get a 9XR? I've heard murmurings in various places that the 9XR is not highly respected, but I can't seem to find any specific problems. Either way, I'll be using the FrSky module.

The way I see it, unless there is something else bad about the 9XR, I can save myself the $36 of the smartie board and not have to reinstall my backlight (not that it's a problem).

TIA,
Matt

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9X vs 9XR

Post by MikeB »

First, try posting a picture of your main board. It may be repairable. Also indicate where in the States you are, there may be someone nearby who could help with the repair.
The general quality of the 9X and the 9XR is about the same. The choice may also depend on just how soon you want to purchase a new Tx. The 'new' 9XR-PRO is close to being available, just not sure exactly how close, or how much it will cost. This has a version of the 'SKY' main board in it, with an ARM processor and provides much superior performance to the standard 9X/9XR (telemetry, voice, SD card).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
shiftty

Post by shiftty »

As the photo shows, I pretty much destroyed the MOSI contact; the trace is peeled back all the way to the chip.

I'll update my profile, but I am in the Midwest US, Illinois.

Any recommendations as to a good soldering iron with a very small tip?

Any idea when the 9X-PRO is going to be available?
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

There are almost no parts for the 9x and Flysky could stop producing them at any time. HK is promoting the 9xr/9xr pro and there are spares available. For those reasons alone I would go for the 9xr.

If you want Frsky telemetry, you should just go with the Frsky Taranis. You'll either have to buy or make a Flysky module if you still want to use the new TX for your Syma X1.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

@shiftty

The guy that soldered the components on your tx's board is not much better than you with a soldering iron. I wouldn't feel bad if I were you :)
Do you have any friends that are good with a soldering iron? they could help you..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

shiftty

Post by shiftty »

@jhsa

He's at least a little better than me, ha. Unfortunately I don't have anyone that I know to be a good solderer, and at this point, I don't know that I would trust it based on how bad I screwed up the Atmel leg.

@pmullen503

That makes good sense. I was drawn to the 9x due to it's wide popularity and tons of information out there, but it's clearly not a high quality radio. I'm definitely interested in the Taranis. How does this compare to 9xr in terms of firmware? I probably should have just bought this vs. screwing around with the bits and pieces on the 9x honestly. I should be able to use the stock module from the 9x in a Taranis to control the Syma in the short term, yeah?

Lastly, any suggestions on where to get my hands on a Taranis from a reputable seller? HK is sold out, even international. I've found this site: http://www.superior-hobby.com/big-sale- ... p-892.html. Anyone familiar with this seller? Ironically, they ship from Wuxi, CN, where I just was less than 6 months ago.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Best source for Taranis in North America is Aloft Hobbies, and at long last the supply situation is improving. So give Wayne a call before doing anything else.
https://www.alofthobbies.com/

Taranis is a vastly superior solution to the 9X in terms of hardware quality and RF link (using the built-in FrSky module).

However, it is not easy to install the 9X stock module in the Taranis (or anything else such as the 9XR) as it requires that the antenna be modified and mounted directly on the module. If you really want to fly the Syma, you'll need to get the 9X working.
shiftty

Post by shiftty »

Daedalus66 wrote:Best source for Taranis in North America is Aloft Hobbies, and at long last the supply situation is improving. So give Wayne a call before doing anything else.
https://www.alofthobbies.com/

Taranis is a vastly superior solution to the 9X in terms of hardware quality and RF link (using the built-in FrSky module).

However, it is not easy to install the 9X stock module in the Taranis (or anything else such as the 9XR) as it requires that the antenna be modified and mounted directly on the module. If you really want to fly the Syma, you'll need to get the 9X working.
Thanks, I am on the waiting list and might give them a call tomorrow just to check the situation. Not really all that worried about the Syma, I mostly bought it to get used to the controls, although it would be nice to get a feel for the controls of the Taranis. The price is jacked up through the roof on Ebay and otherwise due to the shortage. Rapidly approaching my budget and exceeding it!

Any thoughts on a good soldering iron?
dvogonen

Re: Sv: 9X vs 9XR

Post by dvogonen »

As to soldering irons: You need a decent soldering station in this hobby. By now you have seen first hand why. The secret lies in the soldering tips and heat dissipation. The cheap stations have bad tips and cool off as soon as you put solder to them. They are extremely hard to use, while the better ones just plain work without issues.

If you can afford something like the entry level Hakko you have a great solution that will last a long time. No need to go above that.
If you can not afford a name brand you can look for a generic that accepts the tips from Weller or Hakko. Steer clear of the absolutely cheapest ones. They are useless.

When you have got hold of a soldering station and some good 60/40 solder (absolutely under no circumstances use lead free solder) you should get some discarded elecronics. Practice desoldering components and soldering them back, attaching wires etc for a few hours and you will be set. A few hours with decent equipment is all it takes to become proficient.

Almost all soldering is done with flat tips. The thin pointy ones are for special jobs (like soldering to that processor leg you mangled)

As long as you have not fried any components that board should be repairable. Just get some training before you try ir.

Return to “Hardware”