ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
NoahWL

Re: ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

Post by NoahWL »

No luck with that test version unfortunately. It appears 250hz still works correctly, but at 500hz the radio and TX module appear to intermittently lose connection with each other. The screen on the module switches between its usual "Connected" status and "No handset." If I move the sticks or change switches the radio repeatedly says "no telemetry" and the module switches between "connected" and "no handset" more frequently (~2 times a second).

Not sure if it's any help but I tried to get some logs. The first is 250hz working normally on the test FW you provided. In the second, I enabled logging, waited a minute, turned on the quad, and moved the right stick around a bit. After I stopped logging and let the radio sit for a minute, telemetry data suddenly appeared. I started the log again (500hz log 2) and moved the right stick around some. The radio and quad were rebooted after switching from 250hz to 500hz packet rate.

The forum doesn't let me upload files with a ".raw" extension, so I changed the extensions to ".txt". Let me know if there's something else I can test.
Attachments
Test FW 500hz 2 2023-03-15.txt
(97.64 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Test FW 500hz 1 2023-03-15.txt
(194.01 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Test FW 250hz working 2023-03-15.txt
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please try this one, I found a reason why the last one would do something wrong at 500Hz.

Mike
Attachments
ersky9xr_rom.zip
(287.82 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
NoahWL

Post by NoahWL »

This one behaves similarly, but a bit better. The link seems to hold stable until I move a stick. Then it disconnects ("telemetry lost" and "no handset"), but recovers after a second or two.
Attachments
Meteor85-2023-03-16-154350.txt
(329.89 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure why it behaves like that. I can see from the log file that it isn't getting into synchronisation, as the 250Hz timing does.
The attached file may do that correctly.

I'm working on something to do with LUA scripts, so the file has got bigger!

Mike
Attachments
ersky9xr_rom.zip
(291.91 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
NoahWL

Post by NoahWL »

Looks like you got it! Weather is poor here so I can't test too extensively, but I haven't gotten a dropout and the RC commands in BlackBox appear to stable at 500hz. Nice work and thank you!! I'm curious what needed to be changed?
Attachments
Test FW 3 500hz 1-128 telm ratio BB.png
Frame delta spikes are telemetry packets
(132.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Meteor85-2023-03-18-121028.txt
(46.76 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Due to a lack of enough hardware timers on the Atmel processor, I'm using a PWM channel to provide the timing for sending the data.
I was using a default high time of 2.5mS and a period as required for the requested rate. For 500Hz, 2.5mS is clearly too long as the rate requires 2.0mS period. I changed the 2.5mS to 1.5mS, but this didn't allow enough time to synchronise to the RF transmission. The last change was to have a high time of 0.85mS and this did allow enough time to synchronise.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Springer

tx16s where is latest discussion on erskytx implementation?

Post by Springer »

Just got a TX16s and while the EDGE firmware is less arcane than the original opentx, I still pine for my erskytx (on my TGY 9xrPro). I saw the "masterradio" thread, but it hasn't been active for 6 or so months. There has to be another place where it is discussed. I also saw the March23 latest version by Mike and downloaded it. I'm wondering where the implementation stands at this point, does everything work for LOS flying (not interested in elrs or FPV)?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx is available for the TX16S, everything is fully functional. The FrSky X10 is also supported (the TX16S is basically a clone of the X10 for most things).
I've posted a new "test" version that includes a few more screen layout improvements, and some improvements to handling LUA scripts. There is a lot to do to get all the screens working well with touch, I did some quick changes that happened on most screens automatically (EXIT "button" at top right), but I have now also changed many menus to have a better layout for touch (EXIT arrow at top left) and a draggable scroll bar.

I've been busy with the UNI firmware for FrSky ACCST receivers, so I've spent less time on erskyTx.
I also got erskyTx running on the X20, and I've been making the touch screen changes for both the X20 and TX16S.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Springer

Post by Springer »

Sweet! Thanks, Mike for that, and for all the great things you do to keep ersky the best firmware!

I'll look back through the threads for the proper method of doing the update, unless you can point to a concise description.
Springer

Post by Springer »

This perhaps should be in the RMtx16s thread, but I'll ask here first. I downloaded the latest test version of erskytx for the TX16s, and loaded it to the micro SD card on TX. Tried turning it on in bootloader or maintenance mode (Horizontal trims apart and turn on). It just turned on and moved trims to max. I'm missing something or that's not the way for this radio. Also looked in eepesky and got the disk not loaded error when I tried to download the OEM firmware, so apparently I'm not doing that right either. Can You guys point me to a step be step process to flash erskytx on my tx16s?
phil

Post by phil »

it's been 2 years since I installed erskytx. As far as I know, nothing worked with Bootsloader, but with eepskye.
after installation everything worked.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You need the Tx in bootloader mode (power on with both horizontal trims towards the centre), then plugging in the USB should let you flash from eepskye.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
phil

Post by phil »

Hi Mike,
I had to replace my PC. My old PC, upgraded from W8 to W10, opens the eepskye program, but tx16 is not listed under version. I've tried many times to optimize eepskye but it doesn't work. Where am I wrong?
greeting
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm now building eepskye with version 5 of QT.
You need to download (from the erskyTx test versions thread) eepskye5.zip, and unzip this into a suitable directory, keeping the directory structure in the .zip file.
Then also download eepskye5exe.zip (which I've just posted) and unzip the .exe file into the same directory (overwrite the eepskye.exe file that is now there).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
phil

Post by phil »

It worked, thanks
Springer

Post by Springer »

Mike, last night, i did more browsing and discovered that my reading about the trims away from each other was wrong,. Like you said, i then tried them toward each other and maintenance mode came up. I backed up the sd, put the .bin file in sd and was able to flash first time. Also able to revert just as easy. I was disappointed in the text quality though, is that an aliasing issue with the color LCD? Perhaps i'm just finicky after all the bling of Edge. Which i still can't get to do what i want. I really dislike the inputs/mixes/outputs. Guess i need to read more before i give up and go erskytx permanently
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I find the display looks better with the background colour changed (not white). I use:
Red 9, Green 31 and Blue 19.
Set these in RadioSetup|Display|Background Colour.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Springer

Post by Springer »

Ok, I'll try those, thanks!
phil

Post by phil »

I've been using erskyTx for years on different transmitters, Frysky and Rdiomaster. Since I'm not always busy with model building, it's much easier for me to get back into the software_ menu. With one click I know where I want to go. With OpenTx I had to spend a lot of time programming a model. open TX is certainly more colourful, but changing a setting again is not quite as quick. From one flight day to the next with different ones there can be weeks in between Models and the equality of the software helps there.
grifild

Post by grifild »

Hi Mike! I have 2 questions about telemetry:
1) Is it possible to add Sensor "Sats"(number of GPS satellites) to CRSF protocol? I am using AR9X board with ELRS and inav on my Flight Controller
This is part of the code from inav related to GPS in CRSF telemetry:

Code: Select all

0x02 GPS
Payload:
int32_t     Latitude ( degree / 10`000`000 )
int32_t     Longitude (degree / 10`000`000 )
uint16_t    Groundspeed ( km/h / 10 )
uint16_t    GPS heading ( degree / 100 )
uint16      Altitude ( meter ­1000m offset )
uint8_t     Satellites in use ( counter )
*/
static void crsfFrameGps(sbuf_t *dst)
{
    // use sbufWrite since CRC does not include frame length
    sbufWriteU8(dst, CRSF_FRAME_GPS_PAYLOAD_SIZE + CRSF_FRAME_LENGTH_TYPE_CRC);
    crsfSerialize8(dst, CRSF_FRAMETYPE_GPS);
    crsfSerialize32(dst, gpsSol.llh.lat); // CRSF and betaflight use same units for degrees
    crsfSerialize32(dst, gpsSol.llh.lon);
    crsfSerialize16(dst, (gpsSol.groundSpeed * 36 + 50) / 100); // gpsSol.groundSpeed is in cm/s
    crsfSerialize16(dst, DECIDEGREES_TO_CENTIDEGREES(gpsSol.groundCourse)); // gpsSol.groundCourse is 0.1 degrees, need 0.01 deg
    const uint16_t altitude = (getEstimatedActualPosition(Z) / 100) + 1000;
    crsfSerialize16(dst, altitude);
    crsfSerialize8(dst, gpsSol.numSat);
}
2) Is it possible to change format of GPS coordinates from Degrees and decimal minutes (DMM) to Decimal degrees (DD) (ex. DD.DDDDDD) same as in Betaflight and inav OSD and possibility to add LAT and LON to the Custom telemetry screen. Because now it is possible to find coordinates only on the last telemetry screen.
Thank you!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I should be able to add "Sats" as new telemetry value, added to my "ToDo" list.
The GPS display format may be selected in the "RADIO SETUP|GENERAL" menu already.
I'll also look into allowing Lat and Long to be selected on the custom screens, also on my "ToDo" list.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
grifild

Post by grifild »

Thank you for your reply, Mike! Perfect, will be waiting for the new test version. Because I can't arm the drone without GPS Lock and could check number of Sats only at the OSD of my googles. Thank you for you suggestion about GPS format, didn't know about that.
And few more question :) , is it possible to add changing formats of speed from kts to km\h on the last telemetry screen (or it also exists but I can't find it :) ) And What is the values V1= V2= ... V6= at the screen bottom? I think it is Global variables, but it's not.
And if you realy will have a lot of free time maybe you could create additional telemetry screen like for ArduC, but for INAV and Xfire protocol. I think the difference is only in sensor names..
Thank you very much!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

V1-V6 are individual cell voltages from a FrSky FLVSS.
You may use a script to display an alternative screen on a custom telemetry display.
I've attached one for INAV that was done in 2018, see if it is suitable.

For changing from kts to kms/h, I suggest you use a Scaler. These take any telemetry value and scale it to another value. You may also give the scaler a name and select a unit (kms/h is one available). Scalers (SC1 to SC8) are available in the "Globals" menu. This is basically what they are for, scale anything to anything, rather than add many pre-defined conversions.

I think I have LAT and LONG available on custom telemetry screens now, took time to get them to fit.
I'll look into Sats next.

Mike
Attachments
inav2.zip
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted a test version, for the AR9X board, on the test versions thread, first post.
Lat and Long are now available on custom telemetry screens.
As a quick way of handling the number of Sats, I've made Crossfire telemetry put this value in the telemetry value "Cus6" ( a custom telemetry item).

To use Cus6, it may be selected for display on a custom telemetry screen. To give it a better name, go to the MODEL SETUP|TELEMETRY|SENSORS menu, then enter the required name for Cus6.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
grifild

Post by grifild »

Thank you for all suggestion! And for the new test version, will test it tomorrow. I completely forgot about inav script, I've already used it with FrSky and it works fine, but after I've switched to ELRS it stopped working (as I understand because of different names of Xfire telemetry sensors)
So you replace RF_MODE with Sats which was at Cus6, right?
P.S. We have already discuss this Custom telemetry fields in th "Crossfire telemetry and GPS data" topic and by my request you added another 4 custom fields Cus7 - Cus10 to AR9X board
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New test version for all radios with Lat and Long available on custom telemetry screens (including the colour high resolution screens). This includes a new telemetry value called "Sats". eepskye.exe also updated to use these. Sats is set by Crossfire and ARDUx telemetry, ARDUx still puts the value in TEMP2 for backward compatibility.

TX16S includes touch screen support with many menus improved for use with touch.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
IanF9X

Post by IanF9X »

It’s been some time since I’ve been on here and I hope I’m posting in right place. Currently I’m version 221 ersky9x on extreme board. Does version 223 erskytx now support 900mhz modules by certain manufacturers. I see 221 version had crossfire protocol. Is there a recommended module for the jr module bay?
grifild

Post by grifild »

MikeB wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:21 am New test version for all radios with Lat and Long available on custom telemetry screens (including the colour high resolution screens). This includes a new telemetry value called "Sats". eepskye.exe also updated to use these. Sats is set by Crossfire and ARDUx telemetry, ARDUx still puts the value in TEMP2 for backward compatibility.

TX16S includes touch screen support with many menus improved for use with touch.

Mike
Thanks Mike! Just checked the latest test version and everything works great. I can display GPS coordinates and Sats on a separate screen :D
grifild

Post by grifild »

IanF9X wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:38 pm It’s been some time since I’ve been on here and I hope I’m posting in right place. Currently I’m version 221 ersky9x on extreme board. Does version 223 erskytx now support 900mhz modules by certain manufacturers. I see 221 version had crossfire protocol. Is there a recommended module for the jr module bay?
Yes! I'm using FrSky R9M 868 Mhz module flashed with ELRS 3.2
And it works very good on my Turnigy 9X with AR9X board on latest test version (r224 P12), and one year ago on r223 it works also good :D
IanF9X

Post by IanF9X »

grifild wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:44 pm
IanF9X wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:38 pm It’s been some time since I’ve been on here and I hope I’m posting in right place. Currently I’m version 221 ersky9x on extreme board. Does version 223 erskytx now support 900mhz modules by certain manufacturers. I see 221 version had crossfire protocol. Is there a recommended module for the jr module bay?
Yes! I'm using FrSky R9M 868 Mhz module flashed with ELRS 3.2
And it works very good on my Turnigy 9X with AR9X board on latest test version (r224 P12), and one year ago on r223 it works also good :D
Thank you for your help

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”