16Channels on 9X & OpenTX

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
jbabio

16Channels on 9X & OpenTX

Post by jbabio »

Hi,

Today I will show you my 16Channel mod. It's very Easy, you only need two TX modules, OpentTX and a little DIY...

In my case I had installed the Frsky DHT module inside the 9x and a DJT on the module slot. To feed the correct PPM stream to each module I've cutted the PPM signal trace close to the PPM pin of the rear module and soldered the internal DHT module to the main PPM trace. Then I've bridged the signal of the trainer to the PPM pin in the back module.

This image will clarify the setup:

Then you only have to select PPM16 8CH in the OpenTX setup to tell the radio to generate 16PPM channels and send 8CH to each module (8 in the main PPM and 8 in the trainer port PPM)

And voilà, now you have a 16CH radio.

I've done it for a one pilot setup to control My S800+Zenmuse gimbal and works great.

Flaps 30

Re: 16Channels on 9X & OpenTX

Post by Flaps 30 »

Nice :)
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Where are the inputs ? Do you have a picture? Thanks.
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

tedbmoss wrote:Where are the inputs ? Do you have a picture? Thanks.
It's shown. PPM from trainer has been jumped to the module pin and the DHT replaces that signal. The DHT supplies the normal PPM signal. The nice thing about jbabio's mod is that all the connections are internal with no modifications to the module needed. Its an elegant solution.
Smiler

Post by Smiler »

Superb, if only all upgrades were this easy :)

Thanks for posting Jbabio, works like a charm.

Jeff.

SamuMantyniemi

Post by SamuMantyniemi »

Thanks for sharing this!

If I do this, can I still use the trainer port to input PPM from a head tracker?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope. It is only one line that is either useable as an input or as an output.
kaos

Post by kaos »

need to add a switch to use either as 8ch with trainer or 16ch without trainer function.
The only mod, that I know, that can use 8/16 ch while maintain trainer function at all times is here using a sky9x board:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2877
SamuMantyniemi

Post by SamuMantyniemi »

Thanks, thats what I suspected. I am running out of channels in my FPV setup, so I need to use another 9X to control the HT signal.
kaos

Post by kaos »

then this simple mod with a switch should work for you. with FPV and > 10 ch usage, ie FPV, I doubt you will be using trainer function at that time. ;)

But that 4T4P switch can give you extra flexibility to use either int or ext module as single 8 ch while maintaining the trainer function. The only time you won't get trainer is when you use both module for16ch with this mod.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote: with FPV and > 10 ch usage, ie FPV, I doubt you will be using trainer function at that time. ;)
He wants the trainer input for his headtracker.
kaos

Post by kaos »

ah, 'HT signal'.
Here is an idea MAY BE. How about bind an extra D-XP rx to one of the modules (frysky is not model matching) and use the cppm output from this D-XP to the HT?
A little inconvenient, need to use a small battery to power the Rx attaching to the goggle.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm how does it help, as he still can't then take the HT's output and feed it back in to the radio.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Never mind. I got the input/output mixed up. early in the morning. Need to take a walk to clear my head 1st. ;)
JamesDavisNL

Post by JamesDavisNL »

I know this is an old thread, but I have just built a corona CT8Z in my 9X using Jbabio's instructions and it works like a dream!! Got 16 channels now. Many thanks for the post.

Return to “General RC Electronic Projects and Discussion”