Spontaneous reboot while flying and hanging shutdown issues

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
kaos

Re: Spontaneous reboot while flying and hanging shutdown iss

Post by kaos »

I checked the time after turning tx back on this morning. and surely enough, the time was stopped at the time I turned it off last night. Somehow the r165 and Tiny 0106 quick keeping the time after the tx is off. when Tiny 004 was in there, there was not such a phenomenon.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've been testing without a backup battery so I didn't notice that. I'm afraid I think the 'Tiny was not going into power down mode when the Tx is switched off in 06, so this will have drained your backup battery a bit.
I tried to give the I2C interface to the ARM priority while it is active. Unfortunately, it looks active when the Tx is switched off. So while it looked active the 'Tiny didn't check for a time update.
I think I can see a fix for that.
I'm running a test where I hope I will get a reboot condition occur, which I prevent from happening, and log it so I can see it is a definite fix. This may take some time to happen as I haven't had many reboots at all anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Here is what Mike said is going on. "A combination, the TinyApp not responding correctly can cause a bug in the ersky9x firmware to be activated."

Now what versions of what are causing the reboots, not sure.

As for me I am going to use it with jumpers in place so the Attiny167 and tinyapp are disabled and I'll go with r165. Towmorrow I should be flying so I'll just go with it as it is.

Your call SM.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the update.
I still have a m64 er9x upgraded tx so I may fly it until this gets sorted out. My SMD voice board from hungry will get here today so I may install it to get the voice option working on this spare m64 9x.
That will give me the features I'm used to with the skyboard TXs for now.
I use the rs232 to TTL max 232 converters so all my Frsky DJT modules can be swapped between all my tx builds. Saves me from rebinding if I change TXs. I color code the TXs and modules so I know where they were last.
Btw,
It's not a crash I'm actually worried about, it's having to recover the pieces from a golf course, river bed, or possibly a rattle snakes home on the surrounding weeds, or worse, the hood of a car.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Mike: I am not in a hurry to get this resolved either. a stable code is more important. as long as you are aware the situation that would be fine.

Reacher10: I started to notice this reboot after I updated to Tiny 004 in Dec. '12. before that there was never a reboot I was aware of. Tiny 004 was made in Oct. '12, I did not update it till sometime around Dec.

skylark

Post by skylark »

MikeB wrote:I've been testing without a backup battery so I didn't notice that. I'm afraid I think the 'Tiny was not going into power down mode when the Tx is switched off in 06, so this will have drained your backup battery a bit.
I tried to give the I2C interface to the ARM priority while it is active. Unfortunately, it looks active when the Tx is switched off. So while it looked active the 'Tiny didn't check for a time update.
I think I can see a fix for that.
I'm running a test where I hope I will get a reboot condition occur, which I prevent from happening, and log it so I can see it is a definite fix. This may take some time to happen as I haven't had many reboots at all anyway.

Mike.
Mike,
I left my tx running all night. No change. No reboot. About an hour ago I re-flashed Re 3 board with r-163 as it was and still is stable on Rev B board.
Now with r-163 installed, the clock is permanently frozen. On page 6/11 e.g. the vertical line reads 25/04/13 - 11:17:21. When page is opened the horizontal line picks from there (11:17:21) and advances the time for as long as I am on that page. If I exit the page and re-op[en, again it picks up from the same point as before advancing the time. In other words the time is totally static. All through this period I have not experienced any re-boot. Rev B board is still running and stable.
Stan.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, is a fool: SHUN HIM.

He who knows and knows he knows, is a wise man : SEEK HIM

But he who knows not and knows he knows not, is a baby: TEACH HIM.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Today, I ran the Tx r165 with tiny0106 straight 9 hrs without any reboot. I think the reboot bug is fixed. But I think the RTC backup is not working. If the clock is not turned off and keep draining the backup battery, on a relatively new battery, it should not drain it out this quick only less than 24 hrs testing time? My Tx is not opened now and I am going on a trip tomorrow for 10 days, things need to be taken care of, probably won't have time to check it.

Mike: could it be the backup power is turned off when the Tx is turned off?
cmanley

Post by cmanley »

For the record:
I've been testing for a few days since my last post with the same old firmware but with a new battery just to be sure that it wasn't weak battery wires that caused the reboots. I've had 2 reboots in these few days. The strange thing is, in both cases I didn't hear the model name being mentioned but just found the transmitter displaying the throttle+switch alert screen. It could just be coincidence that I was just to far at the moment of reboot to hear the model name, otherwise perhaps it's not really a reboot but the alert screens just being activated at the wrong moment.

Edit: and I've just had the 3rd 'reboot' a few hours later and the model name wasn't mentioned.
I'll upgrade firmware asap but I've got to work now.
Last edited by cmanley on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So if we disable the throttle safety being off option the tx should come right back if it reboots while flying?
SM

cmanley

Post by cmanley »

Yes, but that doesn't solve the underlying problem. That is how I flew the last few times I used my radio just to be as safe as possible.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I agree it's not a fix but it's a shame to not fly.
SM

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I have my v3 sky Tx testing now. Until now I have had only 1 reboot that I noticed, and that occured right after power on. I was trying to get into the menus so I was pushing buttons as I turned it on, so I attribute the reboot to that. I was running r159 and tinyapp_105. I upgraded to the testing version r165 and tinyapp_106. No reboots in the last 3 hours. 1 question though, what is the lowest voltage for the backup battery? I took mine out and tested 2.4V on it. I think this is causing the time to stop running if I shut off the Tx. Here is what happens, set the time in the Tx, let's say 10:00:00 and a date. Watching it run it keeps time for a while, say 10:05:00 when I shut it off. After a few minutes i turn the Tx back on, the time will go back to 10:00:00.
Also to note I run a 3S life battery, and switching regulator upgrade; current draw (backlight and module off) 32 max 46; CPU temp 22 max 23(over 3 hours)

-Gohst
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With r165 and Tiny 06 (test versions) the Tiny doesn't enter sleep mode, and doesn't keep the time when the radio is powered off.
With the radio powered off, the Tiny is running at its full current drain, so draining the backup battery quickly.
2.4V is a bit low as there is a schottky diode in series with it berfore the voltage gets to the Tiny.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I guess I didn't make it clear, it was doing the same thing with tiny_v105 too, but that is probably due to the low battery as it used to keep time.
-Gohst
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK...I had a real show stopper today. The good news is no reboots since monday.

Talk about a head scratcher. Get to the field to maiden my nice new 80" T-28, get it all put together...no flaps, no choke, no ignition. Figured it lost bind? Nope it's bound, ah, I must have forgot to plug in PPM2 when I had it open the other day, open it up, nope, it's plugged in...W T F?

Thinkin about it and I'm like nah, really, couldn't be? Get it home, pump in r161...still no go...pump in r159...Houston we have ignition! So the bad news is there is nothing coming out of PPM2 after r159, r161 is when the other screens were added to see the higher channels. The weather has been so lousy that I haven't had the T-28 hot in a while and then the reboot stuff started so I never checked it. WOW!

Thats it in a nut shell...no PPM2 as of r161. I'm glad thats the issue...tomorrow is our first fun fly, not that I like to do a maiden with 50 people around but I'll take it.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just put a 'scope on the PPM2 signal, all working OK.
I think you might have a configuration problem due to changes I added.
As of r161, PPM16 no longer exists. PPM2 has its own configuration parameters in the model setup.
For the main output (PPM/PXX/DSM) you choose the start channel and the number of channels.
Then for PPM2, you choose the start channel either as FOLLOW, or a specific channel. FOLLOW means start at the next channel after the main output, otherwise you set a specific channel to start at. You are allowed to overlap with the main output.
You can also choose how many channels are output on PPM2.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK...going to help my buddy with his sail boat so when I get home later I'll check it out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I haven't had any reboots, nor have I caught the situation where a reboot would have happened. I have got many hours running with my 'accelerated' test. Had to recharge the 2500mAh Tx battery a couple of times while testing!
I'm almost certain it is a problem with the I2C interface to the co-processor, and I have fixes for both ersky9x and the co-processor stop the reboots and improve the operation of the I2C interface.
I'll check the changes to the co-processor are correct as regards it entering sleep mode and keeping time, and I will release new versions of both firmwares this weekend.
I have changed the response to any reboot as well so that the Tx comes back (skipping all alarms) in about half a second.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

May be we could keep a record in tx acter reboot like a watch dog. This would be good for any future version too. Cause the rebot time is so quick, if flying paane 200 ft high or out the pilot won'tevev notice it. I fly low and close on my heli, any reboot iwiil know. ;)
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK Mike...it works...16 channels are running.

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've committed 'proper' revisions of ersky9x and the TinyApp.
Ersky9x now pops up an alarm if the TinyApp is not up to date. This is a 'run time' alarm that does not stop the radio operating.
Minor bug fixes included.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
skylark

Post by skylark »

MikeB wrote:I've committed 'proper' revisions of ersky9x and the TinyApp.
Ersky9x now pops up an alarm if the TinyApp is not up to date. This is a 'run time' alarm that does not stop the radio operating.
Minor bug fixes included.

Mike.
Hi Mike,
I just downloaded r-166 but I coul not see the new tinyapp. Is it included within the new release ?. If not could you give us a link please.
Thanks.
Stan.

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

skylark

Post by skylark »

Thanks Clive. I got r-166 ok but not tinyapp 6 the new one that mike just posted.
Stan.

EDIT: Just flashed r-166 and it updated the co-pro. Thanks.
Stan.
Last edited by skylark on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Click on his link (which is tinyapp.bin), right-click/save as on "View raw file". There's no mention it's v6, but it is.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Follow Clive's link to the TinyApp, on the bottom right, click on "View raw file", and select "Save link Target as", save the file somewhere as TinyApp.bin.
To load, run SAM-BA, select the "Co-Processor" tab, click the "Execute" button enable the co-processor loading applet, set the load Address to 0x80, select the TinyApp.bin file as the Send File Name to send, then click the Send File button.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
skylark

Post by skylark »

MikeB wrote:Follow Clive's link to the TinyApp, on the bottom right, click on "View raw file", and select "Save link Target as", save the file somewhere as TinyApp.bin.
To load, run SAM-BA, select the "Co-Processor" tab, click the "Execute" button enable the co-processor loading applet, set the load Address to 0x80, select the TinyApp.bin file as the Send File Name to send, then click the Send File button.

Mike.
Thanks Mike, Done and dusted. Will play about with it later and also bring my Rev B board up to scratch.
Stan.

Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I used my radio a good amount on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and it was fine. Now this is with the jumper from pin 8 to 14 so as Mike said it puts tiny167 in reset so tinyapp isn't running so therefore I don't have the time and date but since I really don't that I'll leave it as it is untill perhaps down the road there is reason to use the tiny167.

Whew...looks like we got thru the woods. Great Job!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Did you maiden your plane?
Could you post some pics somewhere in the forum? maybe in the PUB Thread?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OH...yea, I maidened it on Saturday, 2 flights went well. I'll head over to the PUB and tell ya about with a short video.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”