rotary encoder with Open9X?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
jbeebo

rotary encoder with Open9X?

Post by jbeebo »

MikeB, Iksbob, Hippo and the gang have been developing a rotary encoder option in ER9X firmware for both the stock board and the Sky9X board. It is still a work in progress. For the stock board it uses a few of the LCD lines as input with a 3k9 pullup to the encoder switches to 5V source. Please see this thread here and discussion / pictures of hardware and software implementation.

It sounds like this mod requires relatively few resources (56bytes of flash). Are there any plans to implement rotary encoder in open9x? I wish I had the skills to mod the code myself but first I'd have to learn C, then compilers, install software etc. Will take me until 2016 at earliest, and by then we'll have a new president!

Bertrand, Romolo et al, anything I could do to facilitate? I have one of Hippo's PCBs in hand and am decent at soldering...

Anyone else interested in this?

bertrand35
9x Developer

Re: rotary encoder with Open9X?

Post by bertrand35 »

I am interested as well, but I am still waiting for this rotary encoder to be able to test!
Bertrand.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

+1 :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
nsf

Post by nsf »

another 1 here
jbbak

Post by jbbak »

Same here. Bertrand, do u need an encoder? I have one and a hippo board ill send you.

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

That's kind of you, yes, I think I will need one.
Romolo already sent me one about one month ago, but it seems a postman needed it and took my packet :(
Bertrand.
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

Cool! I only have 1 hippo board, and zero encoders. But I'm going to place a Mouser order for encoder(s) soon...

@Bertrand, I could send an encoder too - will you need more than the one from jbbak?
jbbak

Post by jbbak »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357665118.720716.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357665118.720716.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 13710 times
This is what u need right bertrand?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, it is.. :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
hpihl

Post by hpihl »

IMHO that encoder is far too complicated and the location on the left side is plain wrong ergonomic wise for right handed people. A simple 3-way encoder with 2 buttons (menu and exit) is enough.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you can still use a simple encoder.. the 4 directional buttons on the encoder are separate and connect to the same place as the 4 buttons on the 9x.. so you can use what you want (encoder wheel and button) and the others people can use this one.. I have it on my radio and I find it very good, but hey, I can stir my coffee with both hands.. :D

also this encoder is a nearly perfect fit. a very little sanding that's all it's needed.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jbbak

Post by jbbak »

Bertrand, i sent you what was pictured today. You should have in 6-10 biz days. Cant wait to see it incorporated into open9x.
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

+1, can't wait! Bertrand if you need any help please ask. I'm sure there are many, including myself, that are willing to lend a hand - albeit a feeble one in my case ;)
hpihl

Post by hpihl »

jhsa wrote:I think you can still use a simple encoder.. the 4 directional buttons on the encoder are separate and connect to the same place as the 4 buttons on the 9x.. so you can use what you want (encoder wheel and button) and the others people can use this one..
Actually I can't use them only because the left hand side buttons are needed for choosing the system or model menu. MikeB told earlier that the left hand side buttons lines are multiplexed with the LCD datalines so apparently there is no easy solution for that. Otherwise the functionality is mostly allready there.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

not, that is not true.. the buttons connect to the pads where the 9x buttons were before they were removed.. the encoder wheel and the center button, yes, are connected to some pins of the CPU that might go to the LCD, yes.
I have an encoder on my radio, and I'm going to install another encoder on my other radio. both with stock board. but this time will do it differently..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

@jhsa - are you going to run wires from the encoder PCB to the main PCB instead of direct soldering the encoder with standoff pins? just curious your thoughts...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, that's what I meant when I said that I'd probably do it differently this time.. My first one I did it with the pins.. got it done, it was a little difficult to line up all the pins with the holes.. it worked..
The thing is, you do a mistake and you don't have a second chance.. If the encoder get broken and needs replacing it will be a problem. So, I think I will try doing it the same way as Kaos did it. with wires, maybe even a connector or two. will see..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Buckmaster

Post by Buckmaster »

+1 eagerly awaiting/ hoping for open 9x support for the encoder :)Am I correct that I can go ahead and install it and the arrow buttons would function as the stock buttons did, even without firmware support? Then when the firmware gets updated for support the rotary part and center button will function or am I wrong here?And a big thanks to Bertrand for all he has done!
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

If you get the recommended encoder from Mouser, then yes. It has up/down/left/right buttons which will function in place of existing OEM buttons, but also has a center button and the rotary encoder function too. The PCB that hippo/iksbob made allow that encoder to drop-in replace the 4 buttons today. That's my plan, install the encoder and wait (im)patiently for Open9x to catch up.

+1 thanks Bertrand - if there's anything we lubbers can do....
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Attention, the encoder has to follow a certain orientation. Be very carefull and do a lot of reading speccially if you're going to use the pins. once soldered in place is very difficult to remove it,,
It's a good idea to have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1084

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1525

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
hpihl

Post by hpihl »

jhsa wrote:not, that is not true.. the buttons connect to the pads where the 9x buttons were before they were removed..
The left side buttons are just moved elsewhere and are still needed for choosing the menu at their new location (outer circle of the 7-way encoder). In other words you are still using same 6 basic buttons and a 3-way encoder, just mapped a little bit different even if you move whole 7-way encoder elsewhere.

I've been suggesting that one 3-way encoder and two buttons (menu and exit) are plenty enough for sofware adjusting. And in most cases it's also better ergonomic wise because less buttons mean less room for errors and controls are easier to use while flying, not even mentioning that less buttons and free location of them make custom cases much easier. However, that is not possible in the current implementations of the custom softwares (AFAIK, have not checked the latest ersky9xs) because the left side buttons are allways needed for some operations (namely changing the menu).
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

@hpihl, I suppose it is true that 3 way encoder + menu + exit are plenty enough and perhaps better for ergonomics. I suppose it is also true that if deeper modifications were made to the software, it could be made to work fine with a HMI like that. looking at 9x schematic, I can't see how left button would be always needed. However one must admit how handy it is that right-long goes to model adjustments flowchart, and left-long goes directly to radio adjustments flowchart. With a simpler encoder it might take more button clicks.

thinking out loud...E.g. to change a curve: menu-long to enter settings, scroll w/ encoder to select model vs. radio, encoder center button to enter model flowchart, encoder to scroll thru model pages to curves, encoder center button to select curve page, scroll to desired curve, center button to modify it, scroll to pick curve point, center button or menu to select it, scroll to change curve point locatoin, exit to return back up thru flowchart.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, But in my case, sometimes I also use the keys for some things, and the encoder wheel for others..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

jhsa wrote:Ok, But in my case, sometimes I also use the keys for some things, and the encoder wheel for others..
yes, exactly. So although a simpler encoder could work and may work "better" the 7-fxn encoder that most here are using sure provides a ton of flexibility. I'd say install the 7-fxn encoder and then if the software eventually supports a 3-fxn, no worries; it means the 4-way buttons can be ignored. 7-way no doubt gives the highest level of flexibility and can be used with 100% stock firmware, or with encoder + 4way buttons (as implemented today) or with encoder and center button only (if eventually coded like that).

:idea: Maybe the best HMI would be a touchscreen... ya, one lifted from iphone5 with the retina display! Any volunteers to merge an iphone with the 9X? Keep 9X gimbles, mixing, RF module, and switches/pots but add touchscreen for menu navigation, telemetry and voice/haptic! Cool. 8-)
hpihl

Post by hpihl »

jbeebo wrote:So although a simpler encoder could work and may work "better" the 7-fxn encoder that most here are using sure provides a ton of flexibility.
IMHO the only thing the 7-way encoder does is that it combines 4 useless buttons (except the menu selection) with more difficult to use rotarary encoder, if compared to the original 3-way encoders. And the 7-way encoder is still much more difficult to install than the 3-way encoder. The flexibility here is only an ability to do some tasks different way.

However, I'm just suggesting a little bit more flexibility. I don't mind if other people prefer 7-way encoder, that's great if they like it. But Idon't like it and prefer the simple, allready hardware implemented, 3-way encoder. The software just don't have the option to do it my way because I can't choose the menus without left hand side buttons.
Buckmaster

Post by Buckmaster »

+1 on touch screen 8-) Te He :lol:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Guys, it doesn't matter.. on the so called 7 way encoder, the 4 directional buttons don't have nothing to do with the encoder itself. They just literally replace the 4 buttons from the radio. The encoder just happens to come with them, which for some of us is nice. just get an encoder with a push button and i think it will work the same way. Some people did replace the trainer switch with a normally closed push button and installed on the back of the TX. then they got this 3 way encoder which looks like a potentiometer that also has a button and placed it where the original trainer switch was.. which is on the right side of the radio where you want it..
On the 7 way encoder, and I stress again, the 4 buttons just happen to be there. and the diameter is aprox. the one from the original tx buttons, and that make it ideal for this mod, at least for some of us ;)
I hope that all is clear as water now :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

AS far as in the Ersky9x (for Sky9x board), all 4 buttons (up, down, left , right) are functioning the same way as original 4 button(no change whatsoever), so are the two right buttons (menu,exit). The wheel and center button added more flexibility for more functionality. the menu system for wheel/center button can have more refinement. But it is functional as of now. with the wheel and center button, the 7 way encoder can replace the entire original 6 buttons and do more when the code is refined. Which means we can have 2 more buttons to do more things (if that is what everyone wants).
Mike put on his list to use the center button and wheel for change display screens like different telemetry screen with just a turn of the wheel while on telemetry display ( or any multiple dispay screen , for that matter) and possibly using the wheel to control a servo/switch. I have been using the ERSKY9X and the 7way encoder made a world of difference from the stock 6 button. There is some refinement needed to perfect it when Mike gets around to do it.
Certainly looking forward to see how open9x utilize the 7 way encoder.
As an end user, two things kept me stay with ERSKY9x is the sound and wheel encoder function, they just make daily operation much easier.
I certainly like to see the 7 ways encoder get utilized to its full potential. In my mind I can see all the menu operation, changing characters/numbers be done using just one encoder and finger. while the menu / exit key can be used for more functions (they already used for reset alt,mah count for batt).

The last big thing to me would be mass storage capability. Being able to store model setting on SD card directly and retrieve model setup from SD card without going through computer. Then we can have multiple set up to compare with a push of a few button in the field.
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

good comments kaos. Is there some thread which has discussed how the encoder should best be implemented in software? Feedback from existing users of encoder really useful to help make a nice intuitive and smooth HMI.

I like the SD card idea and could imagine sound files, data logging capability from telemetry time stamped with stick/switch data from 9x, etc. My oh my what one could do when turned loose to a bunch of tinkerers, dreamers, hackers, sparkies and coders like this group of mad scientists here @ openrcforums.com ;)
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Does someone have a link to the push button rotary encoder that can be put where the TRN switch is now?

Appreciate it if you could post here or PM it to me.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1

Return to “openTx”