Right gimbal calibration?

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
hangerrat

Right gimbal calibration?

Post by hangerrat »

Good day,

I just received a Turnigy 9X from HK and installed smartieparts, flashed to ER9X. But my right stick (AIL/ELE) does not move fully in the AIL direction (side to side). The 'ball' is centered with the sticks untouched, but if I move the stick to the left or right, the ball never goes fully over to the side of the calibration box. It stops about a 'ball's width' away from that vertical line on either the left or right side of the calibration box.

I have done the standard calibration numerous times, no changes. My left stick is working just fine.

Is there another calibration method I should try?
Is there something mechanical I can do inside the radio?

Thanks for any input.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Right gimbal calibration?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Seem to be getting allot of radios coming out the factory with issues on the pots at the moment? Maybe yours has the same problem.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
hangerrat

Post by hangerrat »

It is frustrating. I've had four (4) 9X radios.

#1 - er9x - sticks needed recalibration very often. I sold it for parts
#2 - er9x - works great! I fly with it every day
#3 - would not even power on, had to send back to HK for refund
#4 - er9x - right stick will not move 'the on screen dot' to travel the full range of aileron control

I certainly like the radio/price point, with ER9X. But this is just frustrating. I'm starting to feel like Vegas is a better gamble....
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep. Can't wait to have better radios to run our good firmwares on.
Those who purchased them from other sellers than HK under the other brands (usually for $70-90) seem to have fewer duds...
hangerrat

Post by hangerrat »

>>Those who purchased them from other sellers than HK under the other brands (usually for $70-90) seem to have fewer duds...

That is a good data point, I'll start looking that way.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Oh and when you get a defective one - keep it, always good to have a few spare parts for the others ;)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

hangerrat wrote:It is frustrating. I've had four (4) 9X radios.

#1 - er9x - sticks needed recalibration very often. I sold it for parts
#2 - er9x - works great! I fly with it every day
#3 - would not even power on, had to send back to HK for refund
#4 - er9x - right stick will not move 'the on screen dot' to travel the full range of aileron control

I certainly like the radio/price point, with ER9X. But this is just frustrating. I'm starting to feel like Vegas is a better gamble....
If #4 tx stick pots not moving the whole range what happens if you gently push on the pot circuit board while moving the sticks? Does it work again?
Hopefully it does and that may mean you can fix it as we've been discussing latly.
I'm thinking that maybe these TXs were mode 1's and some dumb thumbs at HK or the warehouse is making mode 2's out of mode 1's and breaking/damaging the pots doing it?
The small pot board can put a lot of pressure on the pot wires and the crimp connection to the pot resistive element.
The fact that some also have a hairline crack is also a clue to excessive pressure being put on the pot(s).
I can't believe that's all from the factory.

For anyone doing any work on their tx, DON'T push hard on the pot circuit boards! It's like a big pry bar to the little pot connections. The pot element connections used to have a dab of conductive silver paint/epoxy on them. To my eye, not any more. I think it may save a lot of $ in silver or what ever the conductive paint was?
Just my thoughts on why so may bad pots this year?
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”