Help needed - analyze matrix display

Projects that are not for RC, but are cool and worthy of development.
sgofferj

Help needed - analyze matrix display

Post by sgofferj »

Hi,

I have a lightbar (vehicle warning lights) which includes a matrix display. Due to a change in my work and my hobbies I don't need that any more and took it off my car. However, I would like to reuse the matrix display for my UAV project. Trouble is, I don't really know anything about the programming. I know that it is based on Atmel chips, because some years ago, the manufacturer made some new software for me including my texts. I had to buy an AVR ISP to write the bin file they emailed me. Unfortunately, I don't have the bin file anymore and it seems, the chip can't be read out. Of course, the manufacturer doesn't give any info on the board.

Is there a chance that somebody here can analyze the board and identify the basic control structure if I put some photos?

The coolest thing would be, if it would be possible to burn an Arduino bootloader to the board and program it as an Arduino... I'm just getting started with those :) and I think, I could write a matrix control if I'd know which ports to use and such.

-Stefan

Return to “Other Electronic Projects”