DSM for dummys?

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
pmackenzie

Re: DSM for dummys?

Post by pmackenzie »

Yes. :D

stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

Hi I hope you can help out.
I have done the er9x mod and works well learning the programing is coming along but now I have pulled apart my dx4e got all the bit I need. I was thinking of salvaging the power switch from the dx4e I intend on leaving the original setup in as i have larger planes and heli with this rx in them wired in. Would like to know how to insert the switch so that I cut the power or signal to the original signal and switch over to dsm2/x module.

I read it once somewhere buttered if I didn't bookmark it.

Thanks
Mark
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

What type of switch is the dx4 power switch? I don't know how much you know about electrical items but switches are grouped into types. SPST, DPDT DPST, etc. The type of switch will determine what and how many things you can control with it.
DelDredd

Post by DelDredd »

Used a LP module for mine mounted with 3,3V regulator and other components and header plug on small vero board.
Connects to the standard module pins 2 Gnd 3 Battery Voltage and 5 PPM (FlySky TH9X so removable module).
Binds fine to Parkzone Sukoi, awaiting the empty module case i ordered which it will fit into.

Very easy to change modules and no messing inside with soldering.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

When I was soldering on the signal wire on my LP4DSM board the printed circuitry came off, so I soldered the 1N4001 diode to the signal side of where the 4.7K resistor connects. Would this be ok as I do not want to burn anything up. The radio is brand new. Here is where I got the mod info from.

TH9X DSM mod

Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Looking at the pic here. http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... pinout.jpg You can solder the diode to either of the locations marked SIG. The pad or the hole.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

The yellow is where the printed circuit came off the board, probably because the diodes leads where too think and I could not hold the board very good. I ended up soldering to the resistor but it is on the signal side. Let me know what you think and I do not need to add a regulator correct as I'm using the 3.3 tap from the TH9X? Also does anyone know what kind of opticouplers are on the champ receiver board. There are four of them with 6 pins each, Wanted to replace them as they got fried somehow. Thanks

clearsking

Post by clearsking »

What about the little black smt resistor that the lower left hole connects to on the board, would it make a difference?
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

looks to me like that is just a jumper and not a resistor. it's marked 000.

The low power unit should run ok on the stock 3.3v regulator. I would run it for awhile before flying anything to be sure.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

The mod info doesn't mention whether to disconnect the original antenna, I planned on using a switch so I can go between Turnigy and DSM. Guess that just goes in line with the power to the LP4DSM. My photos do not seem to be showing up in the post. Thanks
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

I was going with a miniature DPDT with the center left controlling the ppm and the center right controlling the voltage. But after reading the thread about the module change I think that may be a cleaner way to go. Relocate existing antenna, mount new DSM electronics in a blank module, wire a female plug to interface with the existing pins the original module plugs into, then all you have to do is change the plugin modules when you want to go from stock turnigy to DSM.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Crucial wrote:looks to me like that is just a jumper and not a resistor. it's marked 000.

The low power unit should run ok on the stock 3.3v regulator. I would run it for awhile before flying anything to be sure.
I thought the zeros were values of resistence, as I've seen single, double, and triple all on one circuitboard, the jumpers were small lenths of bare wire going from point A to B. Computer hard drive controllers have many.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

They would be values of resistance if they had another number for the first digit. Being all zero's tells you there is no resistance. I don't know if there is a reason for using one over the other.

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/smdcalc.php
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

A couple of reasons for using the SMD part.
-The 000 part can be put in with the standard process.
-They might have allowed for an actual resistor in the initial design, and then changed to a jumper.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Yes you are correct in that it has no resistance (hence the 000), they probably had more than one designer of the board or it did not pass the first round of tests so they started jumping things until it worked sufficiently. I wish I would have mounted the board to a piece of perforated hobby board material as the diode lead screwed up everything drawing too much heat until the printed circuit came off. I'm going to install the board tonight and test it using the 3.3 volt power from the TH9X (thanks crucial), and let the DPDT switch just dangle outside for now as I do not want to drill holes in a brand new Transmitter. I have the resistor soldered between the signal and the 3.3 volt pin on the DSM board. If it works on my MSR and Champ I'll be getting the blank plug-in module to mount all the circuitry into then the whole thing will be plug and play. If you want I'll post some pics of the finished product but this has all been done before. Thanks for all the help, this board has very proficient and courteous members to help a new-be like me get into the hobby.
G550Ted

Protocol Help Needed

Post by G550Ted »

Can someone please verify the proper protocol to select when using a Spektrum DM9 module. I believe I read somewhere that PPM is correct (not DSM2) but can't find the reference.

TIA,

Ted
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

PPM is the correct mode.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Well I got everything connected but when I turn on the trainer switch while powering up the TH9X the screen reads "switch error" so I can not even get to the DSM screen. The modules light comes on but nothing else happens.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Do you have the stock firmware installed still?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Seems he has. On the stock firmware you have to have all the transmitter's switches "up" (away from you) everytime you turn it on. That will dismiss the switch error.
Crucial

DSM for dummys?

Post by Crucial »

If you do have the stock firmware you will be disappointed to find out that it won't work with your msr and champ. The channel arrangement will be wrong and you won't have the controls on the correct sticks. The stock firmware is locked into the AETR and the msr and champ will expect TAER. you will need to install one of the custom firmware to be able to use it with the micro models that have the servo channels built in.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Crucial wrote:PPM is the correct mode.
Thanx!

Ted
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Correct, I need all switches in the up or away position for the thing to boot. Th9x is only a couple weeks old and has the firmware that shipped with it. Guess I have to do some more soldering and reading right?
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Camboui

Post by Camboui »

I think this picture is a good help before soldering.
Attachments
AVR6pins.jpg
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

I'm in the process of hunting down a serial ribbon cable right now. Seems most of the ones laying around were scrapped. The how to guide here shows a 10 pin cable I beleive but they are not using all ten. Good photo showing orientation of the pins though. Thanks
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yeah, good one. That picture should go to the wiki.. that is the plug I use by the way..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
calla969

Post by calla969 »

I am preparing to install the DSMX module from my DX5e inside my TX case. I have been able to find plenty of information on performing the mod, but I haven't seen much regarding a switch to go between the DSMX module and the module (FlySky for now, FrSky in the future) on the back of the TX. Can anyone explain to me the best way to do this? I am pretty new to performing this type of mod, so I understand that most may not need this explained since it is just a simple switch, but I don't want to screw anything up.

I also would like to retain my DX5e's ability to be used as a buddy box, so I would rather not take it's voltage regulator. Would this http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... q4z%252by3 work in it's place?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

jhsa wrote:yeah, good one. That picture should go to the wiki.. that is the plug I use by the way..
You going to add it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Like everybody say, I'll put it on my to do list.. :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”