Newbie question

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
PeterM

Newbie question

Post by PeterM »

Hi. Complete newby here. Just bought a used DeHavilland Beaver radio controlled model with about a six foot wingspan. It is an old E-Flite model. The seller was not selling his radio, but emailed me the bin file. I have a Taranis X9D plus. Not sure if his was a plus or not, but was definitely an X9D. I can no longer get a hold of him. Been doing a lot of reading and downloading this past couple of weeks and feel like my head is ready to explode. Bought a micro SD card reader and loaded the bin file to it. The radio see's the file but says "incompatible" when I try to load it into the radio. I read somewhere that you can't transfer bin files between different radios. This might be the problem. Does anyone know of any workarounds? I can rebuild the file from scratch but this would save me a lot of work.
Thanks, Peter.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Newbie question

Post by MikeB »

What is the size of the bin file, if 32K, it is an EEPROM file.
Do you have companion on your PC?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Hi Mike. Yes the bin file is 32K. I don't have companion yet but it is on my list of things to do.
Peter.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you have companion installed, there is a good chance you will be able to read that .bin file into it, then be able to transfer model(s) to your Tx.
Let us know when you have companion installed.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

OK, companion is installed.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

1. Start your Tx in bootloader mode.
2. Connect your Tx to your PC using the USB connection.
3. Run companion and read the EEPROM from your Tx.
4. Open the 32K, .bin file in companion, you should now have 2 windows open in companion with models listed in each.
5. Drag and drop any required models from the .bin file window to empty slots on your radio window.
6. Close the .bin window.
7. Write your radio data back to the Tx.
8. Disconnect the USB and restart your radio normally.
9. Check any new models are correct.

It is possible the version of the data in the .bin file is too old and this conversion fails.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Thanks Mike. I will try it today.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

0. Select your radio type in companion settings
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

I followed the procedure, had to lookup how to enter bootloader mode but got it figured out. The procedure worked and the radio accepted the new file. Some of the information was there but all the input output items did not come through. Either the file is corrupted or as you said it might just be an old file. Thanks for the help. I may have to start from scratch or I could just add on to what did transfer. When I turn on the radio now I get the message "SD card warning", "Expected Version 2.3V0039" It's not stopping the radio from working though.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

I downloaded and read Peter Scott's text on setting up a Taranis X9D plus transmitter. A lot of good information in it. Updated the firmware and SD card. SD card warning has gone away. I still have the problem of not being able to select switches as inputs. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong. Maybe this is a setup problem?
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Found the problem. Had to go into the "Hardware" setup section and enable the switches.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”