Taranis 2019 seems like a downgrade...

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Hippo

Taranis 2019 seems like a downgrade...

Post by Hippo »

I bought the 2019 SE, I wanted the Hall Effect gimbals, and I was drawn to the scroll wheel. Since I got it, I'm still using my old Taranis. I haven't seen anything exciting that the new radio can do. Here's what I'm lacking though:

1: No D8 Mode
I have a lot of planes on this, and I don't look forward to buying all the receivers, or running 80% of my planes off the Multi-Module

2: No SBUS/PPM Trainer-In in the module bay
I couldn't figure out a way to make it work, and I was just getting used to wireless trainer using a XM+ on my existing Taranis.

3: No S3 Input for 6-Pos switch
I looked at the OpenTX code, and somebody did get this working, but it requires soldering, custom compiling the firmware forever afterward.

So far, that's what I'm missing out on. What are the benefits?

Hippo.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis 2019 seems like a downgrade...

Post by MikeB »

Since it is no longer legal to provide D8 mode in Europe, it is not available any more. I also understand that there is no room in the Tx module for it as well as ACCESS and ACCST.

In theory, SBUS/CPPM may be supported in the module bay, you need to ask for openTx to be upgraded to support it. I'm working on getting erskyTx running on the 2019 X9D, and I will then include support for this.

Because of the loss of D8 mode on ACCESS transmitters, I've written D16 (ACCST) code that runs on a D8R or D4R receiver, see here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... perpage=20, fully compatible with ACCST V1 or V2 and FCC or EU/LBT, auto sensing at bind time.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's interesting for new users and those who want to use the new ACCESS system, but indeed not as an upgrade especially if you have no interest in ACCESS and/or have a lot of D8 equipment.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

I'll have to see what the benefits of ACCESS are. My SE has the bluetooth trainer, but it's only any good with another of the same. I do like the extra momentary, but it's in an awkward position, and I have already swapped my momentary to the left side and replaced it with a button.

It's a shame since I was going to surprise my friend by gifting him my old Taranis, and now I don't want to give it up.... :shock:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Gift him the new one :D

pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

I'm in the same boat. I have a very early Taranis which has been great ( I've worn the paint off of the sides) but no haptic and the scroll wheel would be nice. A fellow club member has an X10 which is nice but doesn't feel as good in my hands a QX7 actually feels better but no sliders which I use for several models.

ACCESS has many great features, but not any that I really want. The lack of support for D8 is problematic too.

I've been looking at a Radiomaster TX16S, hoping someone I know will get one so I can see how it feels in my hands.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”