OpenX sensor + GY-86

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

GRacing

OpenX sensor + GY-86

Post by GRacing »

Hello Everyone,

Is someone getting good values, concerning acelleration of the GY-86 board with Openx Sensor?

I´m having good data in the Z acelleration using open TX, but the acelleration in X and Y is incorrect!

Can anyone give some feedback?

Best Regards to all.

PeterB

Re: OpenX sensor + GY-86

Post by PeterB »

My project is stalled at present as my GY86 turns out to have AccY values stuck at full scale +ve.
Awaiting supplier to replace.
GRacing

Post by GRacing »

Hello Peter B,

Mine have incorrect values at ACC_x and ACC_y, but it´s not stuck like yours.
Even though, when i test the board with another ino. sketch for testing the MPU6050, with the offsets provided by oxs.sketch with uncommented "#define DISPLAY_ACC_OFFSET // used ONLY in order to display the acceleration offset on pc terminal; KEEP AS COMMENT once offsets have been setup" the accelerations are correct .

I don´t understand what do you mean with "full scale +ve"....?

Have you tried your GY 86 board with another sketch for "debugging" the data ?

Best Regards
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I have used both the OpenX sketch (with display offsets option selected) and also a separate test sketch available on Github.
With both sketches the AccY raw data value is fixed at 32768, whilst the other Acc & Gyro raw values change significantly as the GY86 is moved around.
I cannot believe that two completely different sketches would both be unable to read just the GY86 AccY data registers correctly, therefore I have assumed that the MCU6050 has a data register access fault.
GRacing

Post by GRacing »

Yes PeterB, considering what you said i believe it´s a faulty part.

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I’ve just received a GY-521 module (no BARO or Magnetometer) & once the calibrations were set up, this appears to be fine at the Tx once small offsets (0.2g) were added in the FrSky telemetry screen.
Display resolution reduced to 1 decimal place for ease of readability.
AccZ reads 1g, whilst X & Y read 0g when sensor is flat on desk.

Next test is to try outputting Pitch, Roll & Yaw values on the X, Y, Z slots.
GRacing

Post by GRacing »

PeterB wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:47 am I’ve just received a GY-521 module (no BARO or Magnetometer) & once the calibrations were set up, this appears to be fine at the Tx once small offsets (0.2g) were added in the FrSky telemetry screen.
Display resolution reduced to 1 decimal place for ease of readability.
AccZ reads 1g, whilst X & Y read 0g when sensor is flat on desk.

Next test is to try outputting Pitch, Roll & Yaw values on the X, Y, Z slots.
Can i ask you to send me all your openXsensor folder in order to i test in mine?
May be i have some corrupt file....
I would be greatly appreciated for that ;)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Hi GRacing,
The following zip file contains my OpenXsesnsor folder for GY86, although currently working with a GY521 unit.
I am using an Arduino Mini Pro 3.3V/8MHz with 3.3V FTDI adapter to program/read serial data, then FTDI unit removed & Rx (FrSky X8R) power connected to the RAW input to operate with the Tx/Rx. (GY521 power always connected to Arduino VCC (3.3V).

Note that the Acc calibration offsets are set for my GY521 module, so you will need to be reset these to suit your module.
Follow the procedure identified in the config_description file after resetting the cal values back to zero.
I edit my config files in Wordpad & then Save the amended file in place of the old one.
I open the Arduino sketch from the OpenXsensor folder using the IDE, then all files come up as tabs.
When initially connected to my Horus Tx, the AccZ value displayed near 1.00 & the others near 0.00 and with fast update rate which made reading difficult. Therefore I edited the Tx telemetry values to reduce resolution to x.x instead of x.xx and applied a small offset to each value to adjust Accz to 1.0 & others to 0.0 with the sensor flat & static.
Good luck.
Attachments
openXsensor.zip
openX_GY86
(337.66 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”