Open TX 2.3 with replacement ISRM (ACCESS) module D16 not binding

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
ChrisMMarshall

Open TX 2.3 with replacement ISRM (ACCESS) module D16 not binding

Post by ChrisMMarshall » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:13 pm

I have just replaced the Rf module in my Horus X10 with one of the new ISRM modules to provide the new ACCESS protocol. I have downloaded and flashed OpenTX 2.3.1 In the companion radio profile I selected: lua, eu, and internalaccess. I have found that with an RX6R and a RX8R Pro (with ACCST EU firmware) that they will not bind. (In the model on the transmitter select ISRM and D16) I have re-flashed the RX6R with ACCESS firmware and that will successfully register and bind with the radio using the ACCESS protocol, so I know the module is functional.
Has anyone else had this problem, or have any idea what I am missing?
As I have several receivers for which the ACCESS firmware is not yet available switching completely to ACCESS is not an option for me at the moment.

Kilrah

Re: Open TX 2.3 with replacement ISRM (ACCESS) module D16 not binding

Post by Kilrah » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Apparently all the upgraded modules they've shipped are FCC.

ChrisMMarshall

Post by ChrisMMarshall » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:59 pm

Kilrah, thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, that would make sense. Do you know if the ACCESS protocol itself is LBT? If it is not then they really shouldn't be selling these modules in Europe at all until there is suitable firmware. I am assuming that it will be possible to make them work in LBT for both ACCESS and ACCST given suitable firmware. If not I need to talk to the supplier about returning them as they are essentially unusable by me here in the UK

ChrisMMarshall

Post by ChrisMMarshall » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:47 pm

I have now confirmed that it is an FCC module by loading a receiver with FCC firmware. It then binds in D16 immediately with no problem. Obviously I cannot legally continue to use it in that state.
What I now need to determine is whether the ACCESS protocol as implemented in this module is legal in the EU, and specifically for me in the UK.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 pm

You need to change the module to EU mode. It's not supposed to be possible, but in their latest FrOS release for the X10 FrSky (mistakenly?) included the script used to set region.
So you can temporarily flash the latest FrOS, use the script to change module, and flash OpenTX back.

Or return the module and tell them to fix their stuff and supply you the correct one.

ChrisMMarshall

Post by ChrisMMarshall » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:56 pm

I think that I have now bricked the module. I heard from the supplier that there is a lua which allows you to set the region. I got that from the FrSky downloads, but when I tried to run it it just hung. I thought maybe it is a firmware thing so I downloaded the module firmware from the same place and loaded it to the module using Open TX 2.3.1 The lua still hung and now the module is not found by the main firmware, i.e. there is nothing found in the system page, and it will not bind or register with any receiver, regardless of firmware.
Do you think that FrOS could recover it? I am more tempted to send it back as you suggestfor them to fix. I am reluctant to go anywhere near FrOS as I have never used it so it will be a new learning exercise for me to find out how to flash it and then flash back to Open Tx. (Perhaps it is more strightforward than I am imagining?
To be honest I am on the point of cutting my losses and sending the modules back permanently. (I have two sets as I have two transmitters) I love OpenTX, it is what I would have written had I designed a system myself from scratch, and I like the FrSky hardware, it is good quality and excellent value for money. Bu their documentation and general information is dreadful. And I say this as a professional Electronics engineer with over fourty years experience.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm

The region lua is only for FrOs, it cannot run in OpenTX.

ChrisMMarshall

Post by ChrisMMarshall » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:31 pm

OK thanks. Presumably that is the one I need to run in FrOS to make the switch. I think I am going to put the whole thing aside for a day or two until I can summon up some enthusiasm and determination to sort it out. Back to work tomorrow where things are normally much easier than this!

ChrisMMarshall

Post by ChrisMMarshall » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Good News. I heard today from the distributor from whom I bought the modules. FrSky have admitted their mistake and are sending replacement EU LBT modules to exchange for those I have. Thanks To Richard at T9 for sorting this out.

Return to “openTx”