New Features Wish List

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: New Features Wish List

Post by Rob Thomson »

I might be wrong... But I believe open9x does this already?

Would be nice to see the same in ersky9x :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

ShowMaster

Re: Re: New Features Wish List

Post by ShowMaster »

Ersky9x shown at large club meeting.
I had my TX apart and it was meeting time so I decided to show off my installation at the meeting. I had given a PPT presentation of er9x the month before so many know what I’m involved with. Many had never seen the inside of a TX and were amazed at what’s in there in general. I had many interested in the fact that I had so much capability in such a small board that most can install themselves. Just the cutting of the case for external access was questioned and I understand that Brent has some new ideas to simplify that.
I’m on the hook for an article about all the options of upgrading a stock 9x to something better, as well as the Frsky system either in a 9X or other radios.
Many stock 9X owners are contacting me just to find out how to upgrade their FW and possibly add Frsky and some level of telemetry.
Not to put down Spektrum but many came forward about not trusting their non X models due to unexplained link loss. It seems that some with the X version tx and rx say that their systems go in and out of DSM2 and X modes while they fly and aren’t always just X hoping? Interesting if it’s true?
As the FW for ersky9x weather er9x or open er9x improves, so will my ability to “show it off” at the field and club meetings to the naysayer brand loyal types.
I just saw an add for an altitude device that will cut your throttle when you go above a certain altitude, or time limit. We have part of that option already thanks to MikeB maybe that is something to expand in future FW? I think it’s for free flight?
I would like to see the ersky9x board FW features keep moving forward as fast as time permits to show off its power at the field.
If audio files get implemented soon I plan to have a nice loud voice tell me it’s time to land and maybe say “hello (name) and goodbye (name)” .
I want to mention gruvins board but I couldn't buy one to try after the skyboard purchase so others will have to fill me/us in on it's features and ease of use and current FW features so I can mentiion it in my conversations at the field.
SM
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I tested it in 9X Companion and indeed it works.
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

I'm not able to get open9x and C9x to work reliably on my ersky9x board.
I try to flash open9x with C9x and it fails unless I use the backup/restore function. When I try to write the eeprom back it gives me a bad eeprom data and displays junk characters on the screen.
It doesn't change the splash screen. Once it deleted my model in #1 position.

Open9x looks like a very cool firmware, and I'll try again later when some bugs are worked out.
Sky9X: One radio to rule them all, and in the darkness BIND them.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Hexperience, would you open an issue on the open9x project page describing your problem(s)?
Did you select the "open9x for ersky9x board" in the Preferences Dialog?
I will take care of them.
Bertrand.

Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

Yes, I did select open9x for ersky9x board. I'll put in what information I can... but I'm a noob to all this so it might just be something I'm doing wrong. Is open9x/c9x working for others with the ersky9x board?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm looking into a re-vamp of the way the telemetry is handled, and adding telemetry parameters to custom switches etc. While I could copy the way open9x does things, we would end up with two programs doing almost the same thing. I know many changes that have been added to er9x get put into open9x. I like to see some differences so users have a choice of firmware.

My problem is time. I'm trying to update er9x a bit, improve ersky9x, write drivers for ersky9x for things like the SD card, look into getting better sound on the 9x in general . . . .
Then there's 'real' work.
Then there's building planes to put it all in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

One word for you.... cloning... look into it... it's real time saver! ;)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I remember once, someone did a project plan for a company I worked for, it said they needed 3 of me!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I only wish I new half as much as you! It would make the bits I do far more worthwhile :-)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I believe an enhancement to the 'Flight Mode Trims' function might be of interest, whether it is called 'flight phases' or what doesn't matter.
My questions are:
What is wrong/not good enough with the current implementation in er9x/ersky9x?
If you run out of mixes to use it, then ersky9x will be adding more.
I know open9x has an extended trim option that allows the trim in a phase to extend to the full travel. Is this necessary? Trims, to me are just that trims, if you want a major movement, that is what a mix is for, or perhaps an offset setting in a phase.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Not exactly full travel. But (4x) er9x. For maiden flights, it happens that it's necessary. In that case when you land, you see the trim blinking ... in case you didn't notice it's time to ajust the linkages!
Bertrand.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

I would like to see fully assignable trims, with flight mode capability on all of them.
Look at the Futaba 8FG programming for example. The trims are just another set of inputs.
You can use them as inputs to the "functions" (sort of like ER9X mixes), and also use them or other switches as your trims for your sticks.
You can assign any trim to any stick.

The big advantage of using trims that can travel a long way is that in conjunction with "flight phases" you can make all the adjustments for each phase in the air simply by moving the trims.
This is a huge advantage over using mixer weights and offsets that can only be adjusted on the ground.

So in ER9X for example in a glider you could assign the throttle trim to your virtual flap channel and make all of your camber changes for each flight mode, and put in the corresponding elevator adjustments.

Very powerful stuff. With the additional inputs on ERSKY9X if it had assignable trims I would add at least two more sets to the radio. Four more sets would be even better.

Pat MacKenzie
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

pmackenzie wrote:I would like to see fully assignable trims, with flight mode capability on all of them.
Look at the Futaba 8FG programming for example. The trims are just another set of inputs.
You can use them as inputs to the "functions" (sort of like ER9X mixes), and also use them or other switches as your trims for your sticks.
You can assign any trim to any stick.

The big advantage of using trims that can travel a long way is that in conjunction with "flight phases" you can make all the adjustments for each phase in the air simply by moving the trims.
This is a huge advantage over using mixer weights and offsets that can only be adjusted on the ground.

So in ER9X for example in a glider you could assign the throttle trim to your virtual flap channel and make all of your camber changes for each flight mode, and put in the corresponding elevator adjustments.

Very powerful stuff. With the additional inputs on ERSKY9X if it had assignable trims I would add at least two more sets to the radio. Four more sets would be even better.

Pat MacKenzie
We already have this feature in open9x, it is a little bit hidden but is there, if you select in a mix source=thr, include trim=offset, then you will get full travel on that channel using thr trim.
Moreover as trims belong to phases you will have different values depending on the current phase and they will be stored while changing phases...
You know that open9x has been called in the past glider9x :) Don't you know :) ???

In my personal idea, having trims as separate inputs will make things more complex in normal mixers unless we go in an hybrid mode in which "include trims" let you use them in the normal way but you still will have them available as inputs for other mixers...
In this way we will have Thr (the stick) THR (the switch) ThrT (the trim). Will them be understood by a user ?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Having the possibility to assign any trim to any stick would be nice IMO because for example we could trim the elevator with the THR trim. we wouldn't have to leave the stick or another hand blocking the trim..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I was just thinking this the other day while maidening a new plane.
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Not sure where to post this - but wish list seems as good as any.
The telemetry RPM blade limitation is currently at 4 blades. Is there a way to increase this, as I have a couple of 5 blade heads I would like to monitor?
Cannot do that currently with this firmware and have to revert to using my FrSky screen.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can extend to 5 blades, but that will be the limit to do easily, I only have 2 bits in the EEPROM for the blade count, so 0 is 2, 1 is 3, 2 is 4, and I can add 3 is 5 blades.

Just need to get the latest version compiled on the er9x site, and then I will get this added in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

Briliant Mike, 2 bites used at their top.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just committed a new revision, includes a 5 blade option, needs testing!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Mike - I have flashed to the TX and will run up 4 and 5 blade heads tomorrow and test.
Many thanks.
Rob.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

I had a thought earlier about testing the RPM system on the Telemetry. Weather for tomorrow is diabolical. So, as the optical sensor is affected by the flickering of flourescent lighting, I rigged up a standard FrSky telemetry set with the FLD-02 screen, pointed the sensor at the light and took the readings for all blade numbers 2 - 5. Worked fine. Then I did the same with the Ersky9x system. The readings are identical for each blade number. Not a true test in a real aircraft/heli application, but firing up a nitro 600 indoors tomorrow/today is a no-no!
preston91

Post by preston91 »

would it be possible to have a wireless buddy box system using 2 sky9x TX's linked with BT's?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In theory yes, but the BT modules need to be able to talk directly, so I believe one module needs to be a master.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Peter

Post by Peter »

But for many bluetooth modules there are AT commands for that and therefore could be done by configuration in the radio. It would be a great feature!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

RCHH wrote:firing up a nitro 600 indoors tomorrow/today is a no-no!
I think that would never be a YES!

-Gohst
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Oh I dunno gohst - many years ago I ran up a marine Merco .61 in a 4ft Perkasa MTB in the upstairs bathroom ... Pumped half the bathwater out and down through the kitchen ceiling! Lol!!!
hendrix

Re: Rotary encoder

Post by hendrix »

Hi.
I know that this is an open project and it takes a lot of personal and unpaid time so take my words as a wish.
The rotary encoder in my mind does not work as it should, it should function like in the ROYAL EVO 12
Every menu page should have an "EXIT" selection and the rotary encoder should:
1) when outside the setup menu it should get you inside the setup menu by pressing the rotary encoder's knob.
2) when inside it should change menu page number and then by pressing it again it should get the user inside that setup page.
3) when inside the selected setup page it should change lines (cursor at the start of the line) by rotating it and by pressing it again it should
get you in that menu option value fields
4) When inside a menu option value field it should change fields and by pressing the knob it should allow you to change the field's value until it is pressed again
in order to move the the next field (if any) or to the start of the menu line where by pressing the knob you can "exit"
and move to another menu line.
As i said the last menu line should be the "Exit" command and by pressing the knob it should return you to the menu page number.
Another idea is to have the rotary encoder trim a mixer percentage while in flight and saving it by pressing the knob
like when you trim the amount of elevator trim when flaps are extended in flight (Maybe this is already possible using something else i don;t know yet).
The radio works fine as it is i have no complaints whatsoever.
Chris
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the rotary encoder is a 'work in progress'. Most of what you are asking for is there, just the vertical movement down a menu is missing.
Pressing the encoder button is like pressing the MENU button.
Pressing the encoder button LONG is like pressing the EXIT button, so no exit option should be necessary.
Useful description of the sort of functionality required, thanks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”