Using a DSM2 Module from the Spektrum DX5 Radio

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
kaos

Re: Using a DSM2 Module from the Spektrum DX5 Radio

Post by kaos »

O'well, that really devalued my module and kilrah's. :( ;)

tbackus

Post by tbackus »

So after trying this mod and was unable to bind a spektrum receiver I gave up and put my flysky module back in and it now doesn't work. It will bind, as i am able to get the blinking light of a receiver to go solid after a bind attempt I get no servo movement. I still have 11v at the vcc and gnd pins on the connector on the back of the transmitter, but I don't know if its possible to tell with a standard multimeter if the ppm pin is working.

Could there be a fuse somewhere on the ppm signal circuit in the transmitter?
Looking for ideas before I order a new Turnigy 9 x.

Thanks
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Multimeter no. It will however make a growling sound that changes with stick movement into an audio amp, computer sound card ect.
There are free oscilloscope programs for computers that use the audio card and will display the ppm data. It's been discussed here but I myself have never tried it. I have a scope to use. Maybe it's a good time for someone to try it and report on it? A lot of posts could use it.
Any volunteers?

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

With a standard multimeter you can measure the resistance from the processor to the modules ppm pin.

Reinhard
kaos

Post by kaos »

tbackus wrote:So after trying this mod and was unable to bind a spektrum receiver I gave up and put my flysky module back in and it now doesn't work. It will bind, as i am able to get the blinking light of a receiver to go solid after a bind attempt I get no servo movement. I still have 11v at the vcc and gnd pins on the connector on the back of the transmitter, but I don't know if its possible to tell with a standard multimeter if the ppm pin is working.

Could there be a fuse somewhere on the ppm signal circuit in the transmitter?
Looking for ideas before I order a new Turnigy 9 x.

Thanks
You did use TRN switch during binding of your spectrum rx, right? not the button on module board.

this mod should not affect the original module at all. are you sure the setup is correct? Did you change it back to PPM instead of DSMX mode?

tbackus

Post by tbackus »

Kaos, yep I made sure that I was trying to bind with TRN switch. I've given up on this module for now just want to get back to flyable with my flysky stuff. Even reflashed back to bare er9x firmware with no luck. My problem is that I don't know if the transmitter now crapped out, or if the flysky fs-tm002 module is bad. Original Turnigy module is ruined beyond use at this point. And yes I changed mode back to ppm.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Looks like the PPM signal doen't arrive to either module anymore. Would also explain why you can't bind on DSM, as the module obviously needs to receive the bind command from the radio to start the binding procedure.

As ReSt suggested, you can check for shorts on the PPM pin, and test continuity from on the entire line from the processor pin to the PPM pin on the module connector.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Hook up a speaker to the ppm pin and gnd. It should make sounds if there is a signal. ;)

I think...

Also... Why not post pics of your module and radio, a fresh set of eyes may see something. Maybe you had pinouts messed up , depending on tge module , the pins are reversed due to the side of the board the header may be on...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jhxmdf
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Or an led , this is how i test the line.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zj0bqv

Return to “Hardware Mods”