2nd look at the HK backlight mod, haptic mod and spker mod

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
kaos

Re: 2nd look at the HK backlight mod, haptic mod and spker m

Post by kaos »

1K resistor is needed? while the other one i did not get doesn't need it?
could you explain a little? like to learn some basic electronics here. Thx.

edit: whatever the reason is, I put a 1K resistor in, and it does work. Thx. probably without the 1K , it would burn out the transistor?
only i have a open9x beta 2024 on there, the back light control does not work well, off / on mode works, other keys, stks, both won't work, always give a off repnse and I can't adjust the time, it is always 0s. probably is the the beta FW problem. Just have to wait for the programmer now. I will flash the er9x back in to test it fully. ;)
instead of taking the switched batt source, I also added another 5V reg in between to reduce the main board 5V power load. Put a 220 ohm resistor to led. So, this Tx has two extra 5v reg from switched batt power, one on the back half, one on the front half. this should be able supply any power hungry mod you guys may come out in the future. ;)

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

the transistor need that resistor to limit the base current as it needs very little voltage at it's base to turn on.. the FET transistor needs between 3 and 4V at the gate so it can turn on, therefore no need for a limiting resistor ..

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong here..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

A FET works by an input voltage. Once that voltage is above it's threshold the FET turns on. That is what was originally used with the mod. The 2N3904 is a transistor and basically amplifies current. Without the base resistor the transistor will get a lot of current through the base leg, this would come from the processor. The 1k resistor limits the current from the processor pin (so no damage to the processor).
There are a couple of advantages to using a FET. First it draws almost no current from the processor. Second it has a lower on resistance, which dissipates less power in the device, and therefore allowing more power to the load.
If that wasn't explanation enough try wikipedia. :)
-Gohst
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

thx ghost and jhsa for the explanation.
so what I am using with the 1k resistor should not harm the processor?
I thought this is a FET, guess I just picked the wrong one while there were a bunch of different FET/transistor in the beam at radioshack. ;)

kaos

Post by kaos »

OK, finally the 'T9X Full mod' is done.
Disco power led, PS2 balance charge port, mini usb port, HK led on/off, spker/haptic, 7 way wheel encoder, telemetry, removable DJT module without wires.
Thx for everyone's input and help.
The only thing left is when my replacement HK led arrives then just swap out this current defective, really dim led. ;)
one ugly looking maze of wires. ;)   left side is the USBASP programer ported to a mini usb.  right side is the additional 5V reg to power the LED with a 220 ohm resistor and a transistor to for switching led on/off.<br />yes, there is a 'riser' epoxied underneath the usbasp made of wood to keep it from contacting the main board.
one ugly looking maze of wires. ;) left side is the USBASP programer ported to a mini usb. right side is the additional 5V reg to power the LED with a 220 ohm resistor and a transistor to for switching led on/off.
yes, there is a 'riser' epoxied underneath the usbasp made of wood to keep it from contacting the main board.
this little 'rack' for usb connector actually takes more time to make it than expected.
this little 'rack' for usb connector actually takes more time to make it than expected.
5V reg to supply neon power led.
5V reg to supply neon power led.
PS2 balance charge port for 2S or 3S lipo/life.
PS2 balance charge port for 2S or 3S lipo/life.
here is my twins. ;)<br />left with Sky9x, right with stock board
here is my twins. ;)
left with Sky9x, right with stock board
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

You forgot 1 mod. Now you need to change the m64 for a 128. :-)
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
kaos

Post by kaos »

and take all that apart! :o NO WAY Jose. :lol:

BUT, hmmm what is this :roll:
130310-1.jpg
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Not now. Need to fly a little now. ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

and the voice module too :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

that voice module is the one I am debating whether it is worth the while. Even with m128, it is just too slow to do things need to be done with the stock board. I think I will get the Sky9x V4 for voice if needed.
looking at the price of a voice module (or even buy the parts yourself), I just can't justify it.
this is a backup Tx. my main tx is still Sky9x. ;)
M128 is pure for fun just to see how to replace a multi-legged spinder. :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kaos wrote:that voice module is the one I am debating whether it is worth the while. Even with m128, it is just too slow to do things need to be done with the stock board.

?????? :o

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

+1 on the 'too slow'?
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

kaos wrote: M128 is pure for fun just to see how to replace a multi-legged spinder. :mrgreen:
Oh, I believe for open9x users it may be really useful because you can use all the compile options you want without getting a to big hex file.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

definitely. ;) and the flash memory is still at about 63% with all the options selected :D

This is what is fun :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

kaos wrote:I think I will get the Sky9x V4 for voice if needed. looking at the price of a voice module (or even buy the parts yourself), I just can't justify it.
this is a backup Tx. my main tx is still Sky9x. ;)
As you may know. The supplies of the Sky boards have now ceased. So you have no real alternatives to a board update.. I have no doubt that the best way forward will be to junk the 9x stuff and buy a nice new shiny Frsky X whatever. You can sell off your Sky TX for a reasonable sum. I would say that you probably can charge a lot more for it, than you bought it for, as I'm sure that there will be buyers willing to bite your hand off for it willing to pay silly money.

The M128 and the Megasound card with Open9x is IMO the best way forward at present, as long as the team keep adding extra items like the volume control to the software. Maybe the other way forward in the future (as long as supplies of the 9x continue) will be with the Smartieparts options if Steven does a combined card that does telemetry and sound.
kaos

Post by kaos »

ReSt wrote: Oh, I believe for open9x users it may be really useful because you can use all the compile options you want without getting a to big hex file.
yes, for open9x, you need the m128 just to run 'properly'. I was testing the wheel encoder with open9x 20xx beta. just the heli, wheel encoder and frysky telemetry option gets me to 98% of memory. have to turn off just about every thing else to go under 100% memory.

That is another reason to have a Sky9x board. ;) stock 9x just won't cut it adequately enough. I don't see any point of having a software but have to flash it every time I choose a different model which needs different options in open9x.

Flap30: I don't think I will ever sell my Sky9x Tx. ;) I already regret I sold my V3 board. that was due to a brief moment of short circuit in the brain. ;)

It is unfortunate the sky9x has ceased production. But I think 9x community missed a great opportunity to make some thing of its own than keep on chasing/modding the manufacturer's poor design. As you said, once Frysky tx comes out, I don't know who is in the market of er9x/variant will go after a T9X anymore. Basically, T9x will be a thing of the past. We can all look at our T9x as antique on the shelf. At the same time, if the Sky9x had the acceptance of the community, the development and by far better board design will beat even the the best tx. At this point we still don't have the capability of storing/retrieving models from the SD card which is one of the things that any 'high end' tx has. Because all the developers have changed their focus on X9D - again chasing after manufacturer. the end result is the manufacturer will benefit tons of sales and profit while we as end user is left to buy a new tx - more money. I am not complaining about the developer, don't get me wrong. I do appreciate all the great works the developers have done. But each has his/her own interest. I just see a lost opportunity for something great coming out of a true 'open source'.
er9x initially started as a economical alternative to get a fantastic Tx. Now it is not the same. you have to buy another Tx then mod it or flash it with new frysky open9x. I don't know the new FRysky tx has the voice capability or not. if not we are back to modding again.
While the Sky9x board has every thing set up, pending FW for full implementation. It was so close to be the best Tx with a 95.00 upgrade from a 60.00 Tx. yes, granted Frysky may have better gimbal/switches and side sliders - yet to be seen if they are 'better'. If Fysky is 150 or above, it is going to be expensive when voice is added. and it does not have an option for an encoder.
All things can be kept up, T9X, sky9x, X9D. but developer only has so much time to spare beside their 'real job'. I see the demand of a Tx is growing, keep stock board going is just out of the question - inadequate cpu/memory. with the cease of Sky9x board. the only option left is Frysky Tx. Let's hope it will be well under 200.00
I just checked the megasound board at ebay 40.00 + s/h, telemetry EZ 20.00 + s/h, SP 30.00 + s/h still end up with an inadequate stock cpu/memory.
I really hope we can revive the Sky9X. A lot more people can enjoy a superb Tx with little money and minimal modding knowledge/skill.(just replace the board and plug the plugs in. the only mod needed is optional wheel encoder) I did the 'full mod' just for the fun of it and see if I can do it. It took me almost a whole yr to read every day and study how these are done and how to do it. But I think majority of users cannot or don't want to do this type of work. I know people very knowledgeable in electronics and soldering skill but most of them would rather have a tx to fly than doing delicate comprehensive modding with their time.
Just like m128, how many people actually have done it? if it is counted in the dozens, it is not for general users. While Sky9X can be done for any one into this hobby, as long as he can put a SP board in, he can put a Sky9x board in.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Why I think the developers have chased(helped) Frsky. A. Frsky came to us, and asked for our input. B. look at how many people want better gimbals, and general build quality. We are hoping that Frsky provides this with their new radios. C. As I understand the Frsky radio basically runs the same hardware as the Sky9x board. So given that the Frsky Tx offers better build and parts quality, why not focus the development work over there. It is not like flysky is paying us to fix their transmitters either.
-Gohst
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:At the same time, if the Sky9x had the acceptance of the community, the development and by far better board design will beat even the the best tx.
It already does!
kaos wrote:At this point we still don't have the capability of storing/retrieving models from the SD card which is one of the things that any 'high end' tx has.
You haven't tried open9x, or if yes you haven't looked well enough ;)
kaos wrote:Because all the developers have changed their focus on X9D - again chasing after manufacturer.
No! What got us moving there is exactly the opposite, there was an opportunity to have a say during development!
kaos wrote:I don't know the new FRysky tx has the voice capability or not.
Yes of course. The X9D is the equivalent of a sky9x board with a bigger screen and a whole radio around it out of the box, and should cost less than a 9x + sky9x. That's the whole reason for discontinuing the sky9x. If you can have better for the same price or less, and ready to use out of the box why bother?

BTW (speaking of open9x here because it's the only one that spans across the different platforms) everything that makes it to the X9D also makes it to sky9x (screen permitting), and sometimes even stock. The other day when I adapted the telemetry views for the X9D I also made improvements to the stock and sky9x screens. So sky9x users have nothing to worry about!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

wooow, who wants a beer?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kaos, what dragged me to the 9x project was a combination of the possibility of having a good radio together with my enjoyment in playing with electronics.
That's why I'm always fighting that the development of the stock board doesn't stop. It was the reason of all this.. no frsky radio, no er9x, no skyboard, no open9x or gruvin would exist if it wasn't the little shitty radio that we all learnt to love and hate ;)
I've changed components on in both my radios, soldered wires where I never thought I would, and built boards for it. and it was fun.. it is fun, because I feel that the 9x project still has a lot to give.. look at the new ideas that we read everyday on this forum. For me the sky board and the frsky radio have nothing to do with the soul of this project. nothing. thy are not 9x's anymore.. You may say also that changing the CPU to an m128 has also nothing to do with the 9x.. I think it does. we changed a part with an equivalent one pin by pin. we just increased the memory. even the speed is the same. That will allow the fw to grow.. open9x fits in the m128. For er9x users is not worth it to change as the 2 versions are exactly the same at the moment.. I did because, as I said before, I do like the challenge and also I enjoy helping (nagging :D ) the open9x team a little bit.. It's all fun and I ended up with an excellent TX.. So hands up to all the guys that made it possible.. ;)

This is just my opinion of course, not that it worth a lot but.... there you go.. :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

no need for beer at all. ;) Like I said. I have no complaint about the developers - all aspect, fW, upgrades.... I do really appreciate all the works, adventures they have done. It is just we have reached the limit of Atmega64/128. for a large number of users to adopt the FW, M128 is not a good way - not many people is willing / can do it.

a little rumbling squeezed out a bunch of key info. ;)
yep, if the Frysky Tx comes out under 150-200. that most likely will be the end of Sky9x. but still it does not have 2 coms, 2 ppms which leave a lot of imagination room to play with. May be Sky9x for X9D. ;) but X9D is still yet to be proven having better gimbal /switches.
Don't know the detail about the upcoming Frysky module and rx either. may have to wait for another yr. just looking at the X9D already 4 months behind schedule, may be longer.
In the mean time, for those 250 or so lucky ones who own a Sky9X, enjoy it for a long time. unless you are really unhappy with the stock gimbal.

PS: hmm, need to play with open9x-for sky9x to see that read/write model to SD. did not know that either.
hey, my brain circuits are all messed up by the maze of wires in the modded stock Tx. :lol:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

jhsa wrote:For er9x users is not worth it to change as the 2 versions are exactly the same at the moment..
Last time I looked at my other M128 TX that is loaded with Er9x it had templates added to it.. Maybe it has other additions I haven't spotted.
kaos wrote:It is just we have reached the limit of Atmega64/128. for a large number of users to adopt the FW, M128 is not a good way - not many people is willing / can do it.
The M128 has a way to go before it has no space for additions. Yes I have wondered how many people have done the M128 modification. A few who might have taken on the task may have been frightened away by João's antics trying to give the M128 its first birthday with a c**p programmer. :mrgreen:
kaos wrote:In the mean time, for those 250 or so lucky ones who own a Sky9X, enjoy it for a long time. unless you are really unhappy with the stock gimbal.
That is true. Just hang into your old M64 board in case the Sky one goes belly up. As for the gimbal issue.. Personally I don't see one.. I have used some high end TX's and for all purposes the 9X does just as well. Sure the 9x bearings might give out. When they do I will get some ball races to replace what is there.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I don't feel there is anything wrong with t9x gimbal either. when I am playing on the desk, I can feel, hmm this one is a little smoother (walkera, t9x, toy tx...) that one is not as smooth. but when I am flying, if i start to feel how smooth the gimbal is, that plane/heli is going down, no matter how smooth the gimbal is. :lol:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Yup.. Agree with you there Kaos.. I reckon it is the armchair pilot/couch potato types that do most of the whining on that score. :twisted:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Er9x on the '128 has the templates put back in with FrSky and the extra EEPROM is made available.

FrSky will have a range of transmitters, the first is the X9D. The Trainer PPM is a separate stream to the main PPM/PXX. PXX should support more than 8 channels.
It has a 'Smart' comms port directly to the Tx module, and there is a second serial port available.
It is very similar to the SKY board, it does have an ARM processor, just a different make.

Given the number of SP boards Steven has sold, there are thousands of 9Xs out there. So there is probably a market for an upgrade, particularly if it provides a platform for ersky9x/open9x.
Steven and I are discussing possibilities, just needs time like everything else.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kaos

Post by kaos »

Mike:
I agree. there are thousands of T9x, even with X9D coming out, I don't think every one with a T9x will just dump the T9x and go for X9D right away. Takes a couple yrs of attrition when their T9x go bad.
Flaps 30 wrote:Yup.. Agree with you there Kaos.. I reckon it is the armchair pilot/couch potato types that do most of the whining on that score. :twisted:
Sounds like Margaret Thatcher. :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kaos wrote: I agree. there are thousands of T9x, even with X9D coming out, I don't think every one with a T9x will just dump the T9x and go for X9D right away. Takes a couple yrs of attrition when their T9x go bad.
They will not dump the 9x for the x9d, not for the skyboard, and not for the m128.. most of the people will keep their 9x with the m64 and custom firmware.. so, I think it is a very good reason to keep trying to do this radio better and better.. There is not enough flash? of course not.. there wasn't enough flash nearly 2 years ago . And look where we are now ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I looked this up. The first version of Er9x I loaded was r25. No there are no numbers missing there. I have heard many times that the chip is full, we can't add more. Then someone like Mike comes along, and about every month he seems to find more space. Long live the 9x! It shall never DIE!!! (Sorry maybe one too many beers before typing that last sentence!)
-Gohst
kaos

Post by kaos »

:lol: :lol: :lol: that sounds like a cult now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am going to ask how much more grey hairs Mike has since r25. ;)
But i think if we try to squeeze out more memory from m64 we have to squeeze out some proton from the atom to do it. :lol:

OK, last report on this 'full mod'. received my new HK LED today. just put it in and it is much better now. still a hair less than my other tx but a lot better than before. I guess the HK led also varies a little on the brightness or the LCD screen on this tx is a little dim. Also pulled the 476 cap to make the USBASP read and write without replugging the USB. Loaded r787-frysky. all things seem to be working fine. looking into the new 'diff' and GVAR now. ;)

has any one counted how many plugs you need pull from 1st open up the tx till you get the main board out? on mine: 12 :lol:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

And you don't have the voice module, :p

Here is the first version I loaded.. er9x_r153.hex

Still got nearly them all.. Could flash it just for fun :)

Gohsthb, you joined the project a few versions before me ;) and I do agree with your last sentence.. didn't drink though.. :(

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, don't have the voice module. But I have the one and only disco neon power led. :P

Return to “Electronic Mods”