DSM module

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

DSM module

Post by MikeB »

For some time, we have been testing a prototype Tx module, from HK, for the 9XR-PRO. This is a DSM2/DSMX module that plugs into the 9XR-PRO and uses the internal antenna (in the handle). I have also put one of these modules in an Orange case with an external antenna.
In order to work, this module also sends back data to the Tx on pin 5 of the module connector. Unfortunately, the polarity of this data is non-inverted. On the 9XR-PRO this is not a problem as we have a programmable inverter in the signal connection. On the SKY board we don't have this inverter, so it seemed the module would not work with this.
I have just finished, and tested a software receiver that appears to be working fine. This works be generating an interrupt on every edge of the incoming signal with the interrupt routine reading a timer to get the timing for the edge. By making this interrupt the highest priority interrupt, it shouldn't suffer from jitter as this interrupt will interrupt other interrupts.
Using this, and enabling the support for the above module, I have successfully run this module to a Lemon stabiliser receiver with attached telemetry unit from a SKY board.
Again unfortunately, this module is not yet commercially available.
I can see no reason why this software serial driver shouldn't port to the Taranis. I will be looking into doing this, just need a bit of time to do so.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

OctavioS

Re: DSM module

Post by OctavioS »

Hi all,
any recent news for this module?
thx!
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Unfortunately no. We have been told it is waiting to be put up for sale in the warehouse and that this will happen "soon", but several months have passed without this happening.
I am testing a different module from another manufacturer. This is also fully working, and supported by ersky9x on the SKY board, the 'PRO and the Taranis. I have test flown with this successfully, and have very recently asked when this module might be available and I am waiting for a response to this request.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

DSM module

Post by Daedalus66 »

An interesting side light on this is that the regular Orange DSMX/DSM2 module in JR format has been on back order for an unusually long time. Meanwhile HK have released a new "switchable" DSMX/DSM2 module that also does Walkera protocol, but it's only in Futaba physical format so far. Switchable means it can provide either TAER or AETR channel sequence (which actually doesn't matter if you have Er9x as you can program any order). I assume a JR format version will be available soon.

Does this mean that it will soon be the new "regular" Orange module instead of the one we've had for over two years?

By the way, I'm assuming that the new module from HK that Mike is talking about will be set up to use the internal antenna of the 9XR Pro, while the one from the other manufacturer will likely have its own antenna.

Will the new HK DSMX/DSM2 telemetry module be branded Orange, or (as I believe) Turnigy to emphasize its association with the 9XR Pro? (Note that the DSSS module that fits the 9XR Pro is branded Turnigy.)

Will its release be part of a broader telemetry line of sensors, etc?

Stay tuned for developments as the HK strategy emerges.

Warning: I'm guessing a good deal here. :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There is also the problem, for European sales, that DSM2 is, I understand, no longer legal in Europe for new equipment sales.

I test flew with this "other" module today in a Taranis Plus running ersky9x firmware. All performed well, including the telemetry.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes. As of January 1, all Spektrum transmitters sold in the EU are DSMX only. They do not work with DSM2 receivers. Previously sold transmitters continue to function legally using DSM2.

Spektrum have said that firmware updates of older transmitters will not affect their ability to use DSM2.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote: ...I am testing a different module from another manufacturer. This is also fully working, and supported by ersky9x on the SKY board, the 'PRO and the Taranis. I have test flown with this successfully, and have very recently asked when this module might be available and I am waiting for a response to this request.

Mike.
I assume that this module will have an external antenna, rather than using the 9xr pro internall one, sice it is compatible with all the open source tx's/board. What about the protocol? DSM also?
Im planning to buy new receivers and if this option comes handy, why not try?
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, an external antenna. The module does support DSMX and DSM2, but DSM2 is not legal in Europe any more for new products. I have some code in ersky9x so at binding, if in Europe, only DSMX may be used.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

So any transmitter purchased before this year can have its module set to operate on DSM2? Or does the rule apply to when the module was purchased?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I believe the rule applies to "new stock" made avalable for purchase from th beginning of this year!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:Yes, an external antenna. The module does support DSMX and DSM2, but DSM2 is not legal in Europe any more for new products. I have some code in ersky9x so at binding, if in Europe, only DSMX may be used.

Mike.
I purchased both my taranis prior to this legal change, so this means that they will be able to bind to dsm2, right? I updated my taranis plus, but the taranis is still not updated.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I noticed that, for a short time earlier today, HK were showing an Orange DSM Tx module available, but it has now disappeared.
This module seemed to be a replacement for the existing module, with the antenna on the rear, although placed in a different position near the top of the module rather than the bottom.
This is interesting as the later prototype module I've been testing had a different internal arrangement, and this antenna placement would fit with these new internals, while the old antenna placement would not work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I wonder if it is DSMX too, as DSM2 is not allowed in Europe anymore..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

It's still up: OrangeRX DSMX / DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module

Fair enough, they repositioned the antenna connector, but they did not take the opportunity to redesign it properly (like the EzUHF module e.g.).
It does not have the same features as the Futaba style module, sadly
The OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 compatible 2.4Ghz transmitter module provides a simple, convenient and inexpensive way to utilize your module-based JR compatible transmitter with DSMX/DSM2 compatible receivers. Simply replace your stock radio module with the OrangeRX system and you are ready to bind to any DSMX/DSM2 compatible receiver.

Features:
• Standard JR style 5-pin connection (works with any JR compatible module-based transmitter)
Offers 4 operating modes: DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms
• Easy to access bind button
• Simple and easy to operate
• Range check mode

Specs:
Compatibility: 5-pin JR compatible module-based transmitters
2.4Ghz Protocol: DSMX / DSM2
Voltage Input: 6 ~ 15VDC
Power: 100mW
Range Type: Full range system

Includes:
OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 compatible 2.4Ghz transmitter module (JR/Turnigy compatible) 2.4Ghz antenna

The OrangeRX Module uses a unique Global ID for binding. In case of binding issues with other branded receivers press the "Change ID" button on module to change the Module ID to another unique value reserved for that module (5 ID's assigned to each module). There are over 4 billion unique ID's assigned to OrangeRx modules.

Please Note:
This is not a Spektrum DSM2/X product, neither is it a copy of a Spektrum DSM2/X product.
The Spektrum and DSM2/X brand is a trademark of Horizon Hobbies USA.
This is not an underground/black market fake Spektrum product. OrangeRx quality is guaranteed. This item is accepted by the MAAA in Australia, see the MAAA MOP58 for guidance.
Attachments
New OrangeRX DSMX JR Module (Image courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only)
New OrangeRX DSMX JR Module (Image courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The OrangeRX Module uses a unique Global ID for binding. In case of binding issues with other branded receivers press the "Change ID" button on module to change the Module ID to another unique value reserved for that module (5 ID's assigned to each module). There are over 4 billion unique ID's assigned to OrangeRx modules.
Unique ID...but in case of "interference" with other branded receivers..

Sorry guys but this makes me laugh.. Beware spek users :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I'd like to tear one down to check the differences in hardware between this one and the prior revision, but I won't throw 30€ at this.
Mike, do you have some background on this? Are there any news regarding the DSMX module for the 9XR?

Personally I'm very satisfied with jprikkels PCB and a genuine DSMX module in an DM9 case, I'm curiously waiting for the guys over at deviationtx.com to finish the design of their single board universal module.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Could the OrangeRX Open LRS 433MHz Transmitter 1W ( JR/Turnigy Compatible) be flashed to do DSMX/DSM2 ?
(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

No, OpenLRS operates at 433MHz typically, it uses an HopeRF transceiver chip if I remember correctly. DSMX/DSM2 operates at 2.4GHz and utilizes the CYRF6936 rf chipset.
Even the microcontrollers inside these modules are entirely different, OpenLRS usually runs on an atmega328 (aka Arduino), whereas (atleast the old) Orange RX DSMX module is built upon an XMega32.

Why would you want to do that?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Philipp wrote:Mike, do you have some background on this? Are there any news regarding the DSMX module for the 9XR?
The last information I have is they have been manufactured, and are awaiting the warehouse putting them on the site, this was on to 20-May-2015.
I've been looking on the site since then to see if they have appeared, which is why I saw this. Earlier today, there were 10 items on the Orange Tx modules page, then it dropped back to 8, and now it is at 9.
What it looks like to me is HK have re-done the hardware for their DSM module as part of the 9XR development. The first 2 modules I had were, I think, a standard modules to which I had to add a wire for the telemetry. I later got 2 more modules which look to be the same design of electronics as this module, but in a 9XR style case using the internal antenna.

I'm hopeful therefore the 9XR module will appear soon.

I have put one of the earlier modules in a case with an external antenna, and have used that in my 9X with a SKY board.
In theory, it should work in a Taranis, in that case, but as it hasn't appeared at all, I haven't bothered with implementing it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

MikeB wrote:[...]The first 2 modules I had were, I think, a standard modules to which I had to add a wire for the telemetry. I later got 2 more modules which look to be the same design of electronics as this module, but in a 9XR style case using the internal antenna.
These first modules were based on the original DSM2/DSMX module PCB, but running a new firmware featuring a serial protocol as well as telemetry? Whereas the more recent module appears to not only have a new casing but also a new PCB design, but not just yet the software features mentioned above, right? Or did the two newer modules you've got for testing run the newer, more capable firmware as well?

Could you post pictures of the most recent module PCB, or would you get in trouble for this, since we do not exactly know if the now released module does actually share its design?
Last edited by Philipp on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you aware of this development? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165676, which is related.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Yes, I've stumbled across it some time ago, it appears to be based on the original MultiMod developed by the guys at deviationtx.com, but accepts an PPM input instead of SPI data due to its onboard micro.
I do not like the physical construction of it though, being a sandwich of multiple cheap chinese RF breakout boards and requiring a separate antenna for every RF module.
[thumbnail]http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... 290125.JPG[/thumbnail]
(image by irun4fundotca on rcgroups.com)

I'm watching the development of its successor carefully, as I intend to build or purchase one of these myself, for use in my Devo7E or as an JR module.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It now accepts a serial data stream and returns telemetry data over serial. The serial protocol has been added to er9x. I will be adding it to ersky9x when I get time to do so.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Philipp wrote:Why would you want to do that?
Hi Philipp,
I was just wondering if it could be an option.
Thank you for the reason why it's not an option. :)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, is this the same that was being tested with the pro last year?

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That's my understanding.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I was surprised to see that they also have upgraded (again) their OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2/Devo 2.4GHz Selectable Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy Compatible). I don't know why they listed this one a few days before, but the most recent one has quite an competive featureset, very much the same as its futaba style counterpart:
[...]
Features:
• Works with any JR/Turnigy compatible module-based transmitter
5 switchable modes: DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms, Walkera
4 switch selectable power outputs: 10, 25, 50, 100mW
• Range check mode
Selectable channel mapping

Specs:
Compatibility: Standard JR style 5 pin module-based transmitters (JR/Turnigy compatible)
2.4Ghz protocol: DSMX / DSM2 / Walkera Compatible
Input Voltage: 6 - 18VDC
Power: 10, 25, 50, 100mW (selectable)
Radio Type: Full range system

Includes:
OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2/Devo Compatible 2.4Ghz transmitter module
2.4Ghz antenna

Please Note:
OrangeRX Modules use a unique Global ID for binding. In case of binding issues with other branded receivers press the "Change ID" button on module to change the Module ID to another unique value reserved for that module. There are over 4 billion unique ID's assigned to OrangeRx modules.[...]
The internal OrangeRX 2.4Ghz Telemetry Module For Turnigy 9XR Pro (DSMX/DSM2/Walkera Compatible) shares some, but not all of these features:
[...]Features:
Offer 5 operating modes: DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms, and Walkera Protocol
• Range check mode
Turnigy 9XR Pro Telemetry capability

Specs:
Compatibility: Turnigy 9XR Pro
2.4Ghz protocol: DSMX/DSM2/Walkera
Voltage input: 6~18VDC
Range: Full range system
[...]
Now I am even more curious if these modules are based on the same internal hardware, and if one could flash the telemetry capable firmware of the black internal module to the orange external one.

Small history of Orange DSM Modules:
  • Discontinued Module
    Store link: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ible_.html
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    The OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 compatible 2.4Ghz transmitter module offers a simple and convenient way to utilize your module-based JR compatible transmitter with DSMX/DSM2compatible receivers. Simply replace your stock module with this and you are ready to bind to any DSMX/DSM2 compatible receiver.
    Features:
    • Standard JR compatible 5-pin connection (works with any JR compatible module-based transmitter)
    • Offer 4 operating modes: DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms
    • Range check mode

Specs:
    2.4Ghz protocol: DSMX/DSM2
    Voltage input: 6~15VDC
    [...]
  • released but not sold
    Store link: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ible_.html
    OrangeRX DSMX / DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX / DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX / DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX / DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    The OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 compatible 2.4Ghz transmitter module provides a simple, convenient and inexpensive way to utilize your module-based JR compatible transmitter with DSMX/DSM2 compatible receivers. Simply replace your stock radio module with the OrangeRX system and you are ready to bind to any DSMX/DSM2 compatible receiver.

Features:
    • Standard JR style 5-pin connection (works with any JR compatible module-based transmitter)
    • Offers 4 operating modes: DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms
    • Simple and easy to operate
    • Range check mode

Specs:
    2.4Ghz Protocol: DSMX / DSM2
    Voltage Input: 6 ~ 15VDC
    Range Type: Full range system
    [...]
  • most recently released, external
    Store link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2/Devo 2.4GHz Selectable Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy Compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2/Devo 2.4GHz Selectable Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy Compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2/Devo 2.4GHz Selectable Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy Compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2/Devo 2.4GHz Selectable Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy Compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    The OrangeRX switchable 2.4Ghz transmitter module offers a simple, convenient and inexpensive way to utilize your module-based JR/Turnigy compatible transmitter. Unlike standard modules which have a fixed protocol this unit can be switched between DSM2 (1024/22ms, 2048/11ms), DSMX (22ms, 11ms) or Walkera compatible protocols.

The module has 4 selectable power output levels, 10, 25, 50 and 100mW. Simply remove your existing module, plug in the OrangeRX switchable module and you are ready to bind to any DSMX, DSM2 or Walkera compatible receivers. Another feature of this superb module is that it has selectable channel mapping for either AETR or TAER.

Features:
    • Works with any JR/Turnigy compatible module-based transmitter
    • 5 switchable modes: DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms, Walkera
    • 4 switch selectable power outputs: 10, 25, 50, 100mW
    • Range check mode
    • Selectable channel mapping

Specs:
    Compatibility: Standard JR style 5 pin module-based transmitters (JR/Turnigy compatible)
    2.4Ghz protocol: DSMX / DSM2 / Walkera Compatible
    Input Voltage: 6 - 18VDC
    Power: 10, 25, 50, 100mW (selectable)
    Radio Type: Full range system
    [...]
  • most recently released, internal, 9XR only
    Store link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html
    OrangeRX 2.4Ghz Telemetry Module For Turnigy 9XR Pro (DSMX/DSM2/Walkera Compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX 2.4Ghz Telemetry Module For Turnigy 9XR Pro (DSMX/DSM2/Walkera Compatible) front view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX 2.4Ghz Telemetry Module For Turnigy 9XR Pro (DSMX/DSM2/Walkera Compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    OrangeRX 2.4Ghz Telemetry Module For Turnigy 9XR Pro (DSMX/DSM2/Walkera Compatible) back view, courtesy of hobbyking.com, mirrored for reference only
    The OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2/Walkera compatible 2.4Ghz Telemetry transmitter module offers a simple, convenient and inexpensive way to add telemetry and a selection of additional protocols to your 9XR Pro. Simply replace your existing module with the OrangeRX Telemetry Module and you are ready to bind to any DSMX/DSM2/Walkera compatible receiver.

Features:
    • Offer 5 operating modes: DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms, and Walkera Protocol
    • Range check mode
    • Turnigy 9XR Pro Telemetry capability

Specs:
    Compatibility: Turnigy 9XR Pro
    2.4Ghz protocol: DSMX/DSM2/Walkera
    Voltage input: 6~18VDC
    [...]
Last edited by Philipp on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think they may all be using the same PCB. I can see the pads for the DIL switch through the case of the "Released but not sold" one, and I can confirm the most recent prototypes of the one for the 9XR-PRO also have these pads, although the DIL switches are not fitted.

The only way I've been able to flash new firmware to the 9XR-PRO module however is to solder 4 wires to the board and flash the chip directly using the PDI mode of an AVRISP-II programmer, I don't think it includes the bootloader.

It is, however, likely the board form the 9XR-PRO version could be fitted in the case of the other versions in order to get the antenna on the outside so the module could be used in other transmitters than the 'PRO.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

They sell this thing http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... odule.html for their older futaba style module. It is basically a prolific usb to serial converter, which means that at least the old futaba module should have a bootloader. The included adapter has a jumper to switch between 'JR' and 'Futaba', but there are no files associated with the JR style module. Documentation is a bad joke as usual, I guess we have to wait and see if they will release an firmware update for the most recent module at some point.

If they did not care to lock the eeprom of the xmega, one could also try to read it and flash it to another module. Considering the (still) bad case design of the external module, simply hacking the internal module meant for the 9XR into a DM9 case might be the better solution with a lot less effort required.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”