9xr upgrade

tgy9x is a fork of er9x, and is the default firmware that is released by hobbyking on the Turnigy 9XR transmitter.
Soco

9xr upgrade

Post by Soco »

Hi all,
As a relative beginner to the 9xr I have some questions to ask:-
I am thinking of using er9x instead of the stock firmware on my 9xr, but would like to know what is the difference between er9x and the firmware provided with the 9xr?
Also is it possible to simulate the er9x firmware on eepe.

Many thanks
Soco

jhsa

Re: 9xr upgrade

Post by jhsa »

the stock firmware IS an (modified by HK) old version of er9x

The difference is that the newer versions of er9x have much more features and also some bugs were fixed. Also the stock HK version doesn't use the full atmega128 memory capacity. With the changes they did to the firmware, they prevented the users from using eepe as it became not compatible.. So, you only have advantages in installing the latest er9x on your radio. You will be able to save your models and settings to your computer, simulate them, program new models, etc..

Eppe IS used to simulate and program er9x :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The stock firmware on the 9XR is er9x. HK took a copy (around revision 762), did some small changes, and used that. They also protected both the firmware and EEPROM to prevent users from reading them out! This means eepe couldn't be used properly with the 9XR. It also means you can't read you models out, so before any upgrade you will ned to make a "pencil and paper" (or eepe) note of all your settings (general and models).

eepe does indeed simulate er9x, as well as allowing backing up and editing of the EEPROM (model memory).

Almost certainly, your 9XR will have an ATMEGA128 processor (twice the memory size of the original '64). This means you want to select the '128 in eepe, and download and flash er9x-128.hex.
Since HK took the copy of er9x, much has been improved, and with the extra memory of the '128, even more has been added (now at r813). However, the basic operation has remained the same.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Soco

Post by Soco »

Thanks both for your response, has made up my mind to upgrade to er9x. Onr more question regarding eepe, I noticed that it has a telemetry section, at the moment I use a frsky DJT module in conjunction with a FLd02 screen and a vario in my glider, when er9x is installed will I be able to see telemetry information on my 9xr screen.

Soco
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You will need to do some mods to the 9XR, including adding an inverting buffer on the telemetry signal. Once the mods are done, then yes, with er9x, you will be able to see the telemetry on the screen, and also set alarms based on the telemetry values.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

anomof

Post by anomof »

Just wondering if there is a version or EXsky 9XR Pro due to the huge differences in their processors ATmega128 for the non Pro version to a ATSAM3S8c in the Pro version. The ATSAM3S8C has "32-bit ARM® Cortex™-M3 RISC processor. It operates at a maximum speed of 64MHz and features 512KB of flash and 64KB of SRAM. The extensive peripheral set includes a FS USB device port with embedded transceiver, a HS multimedia card interface for SDIO/SD/MMC, two USARTs, two UARTs, two TWIs, three SPsI, I2S, PWM timer, six 16-bit timers, RTC, eleven 12-bit ADCs, two 12-bit DACs (vs 10 bit on the non Pro version)and an analog comparator. The QTouch® library offers an easy way to implement buttons, wheels and sliders. The parallel data capture mode on the PIOs collects data from external devices not compliant with standard memory read protocols, such as low-cost image sensors." In fact will the 128kb non pro version of ERsky even work in the Turnigy 9XR Pro?
anomof

Post by anomof »

Mike B you mentioned the inverting buffer mod need for the 9XR, is this also required for the Pro version which grabs the rx and tx pins off the main system board and routes them to the trainer port. Which I believe (but could be wrong) that the other end if the trainer cable should be placed to the RX TX pins on the back of a FRSKY XJT module (same as Taranis).

Is there a version of ERsky9x that takes advantage of the larger flash memory in the 9XR Pro version which uses a ATSAM3S8C with 512kb flash, and I'm sure you very aware of other features in this newer mircocontroller.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm slightly confused as your posts are dated 06 Feb, yet have just appeared for me as unread.

The 9XR runs er9x, specifically er9x-128.hex.
The 9XR-PRO runs ersky9x, specifically ersky9xr_rom.bin (note the 'r' after the 'x').
No inverting buffer mods are needed for the 'PRO, you are correct in they are routed to the Futaba trainer port. The cable that HK supply and plugs into this trainer port does connect the telemetry signals to the Tx module, and is there for use by the DJT module.
The XJT module connects internally via the 5-pin module connector, the telemetry data is transferred on the bottom pin, and the 9XR-PRO fully supports this, so no external cable is required.
The firmware that ships with the 'PRO doesn't support the XJT as there was a problem between HK and FrSky regarding the use of the SPort protocol. This has been resplved, and updated firmware is available that fully supports the XJT module.

Ersky9x does make use of the extra flash and many of the peripherals. For example, on the 'PRO you get voice as standard, which makes use of the SD card and DAC.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I just approved a bunch of posts that were pending approval :(
If I browse the forum on the PC, I can see them, but if I'm on tapatalk (mobile), I normally don't see them.. I was just checking the moderation options trying to learn a bit more about them, and saw all those posts needing approval.. Maybe we need more moderators?? :o ;)

I do apologize for not seeing them before

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I normally see posts needing approval so I'm not sure what happened here. I often approve them as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, I normally see them too.. And there were a lot. Around 20 or so.. Some were spam.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
nwr1cxo

Post by nwr1cxo »

I have the Turnigy 9XR Pro. Knowing that it would use the Ersky9x firmware, is there a maual for that or would the manual for the ER9x be close enough for me to understand how the Ersky9X firmware would work?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you are using the firmware with which the 'PRO is shipped, then manuals for this are at:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575
Some of these (e.g. hardware, communicating with a computer) are always useful.

If you have updated the firmware to the versions with the new menus index, then the recent er9x manual will help with these:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473#p90349

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
KAL

Post by KAL »

For the 9XR Pro manuals please follow this link.

You can also take the new manual for er9x as this firmwares are very similar.
If you have updated to the newest test version you may find that it describes the menu structure perhaps better.

Edit: Ooops, Mike was quicker ;) :)

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Here's a guide to the new menu structure in Ersky9x for the 9XR Pro (version r214 and up).
9XR Pro Menu Structure Table v01a.pdf
(449.97 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
Nigel C

Return to “tgy9xr”