Noob Needs Help Just to Set Up for Flashing 9x to Er9x

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
currdog

Post by currdog »

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered a hundred times already. I've searched the forum for answers for hours and found nada.

I'm intending to flash my 9x to Er9x-FrSky-noht.

I've got the FrSky DHT module installed. I've got the SmartieParts v2.4 programmer board and the TelemetrEZ board installed.

The Smartieparts site says......

"Built-in Programmer

The primary feature of our board is that it gives you a full-time programmer installed in your radio that allows you to "flash" new improved firmware onto your radio whenever you want, just by plugging it into your PC via a common miniUSB cable (not included)"

Does this mean that I don't need a USBasp programmer and its drivers???

Thanks for your answers.

Currdog
Last edited by currdog on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's what the SmartieParts board is for: it's a programmer (as your own description says). Isn't that why you bought it?

It should have a miniUSB connector you can use to connect to your computer.

You should use eepe to install the new firmware.
currdog

Re: Noob Needs Help Just to Set Up for Flashing 9x to Er9x

Post by currdog »

Daedalus66,

Well I thought as much but when I attempted to plug a miniUSB cord from laptop into the miniUSB connector of the SM board, I got the following message...

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/Lisa/AppData/Local/Temp/eebackup.hex:i
=================================================================================
avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

That was using eepe to attempt to flash

When I attempted to download the USBasp drivers, it said something about it not containing a digital signature and wouldn't install or ?
currdog

Post by currdog »

you know what? I think I'm getting the driver issue with Win8.1

I'm going to try the whole process with my computer at work running Win7 and see if I can get the drivers to work.

CurrDog
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Now I see why you were puzzled. I think you've identified the problem yourself -- drivers and Win 8.
Here's what the Smartieparts website has to say about drivers:
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... page&id=12

currdog

Post by currdog »

Thanks Daedalus66,

I just got back from my office where I was successful in installing the USBasp drivers on my Win7 computer. Installed eepe, downloaded the firmware, then flashed my 9x with the ER9x-FrSky-Noht firmware without a hitch!!

Now I just have to figure out what the hell to do from here?!? Back to the forums!

CurrDog
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

It depends where you want to go. First you need to do the radio setup, including especially calibration and choosing mode and default channel order. Then you could set up a 6 channel model with gear switch on channel 5, 3position on Channel 6 and pot on channel 8, plus dual rates and expo, plus throttle lock using a safety switch.

Do all that and you'll have a good sense of how the basics work.
currdog

Post by currdog »

Thanks for the advise Daedalus66,

I've done the calibration but that's all I've had time for between work and getting ready for Xmas with four kids!!

I'm also in the middle of setting up a Bix2 with an Arkbird OSD autopilot and FPV gear. I've been trying to watch as many youtube vids on ER9x settings for autopilot related switches and whatnot.

I've got a lot to learn. Any recommendations on where and/or who on the forums to check with would be appreciated.

CurrDog
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Plenty of help with the radio available here. I'm not into FPV, so maybe someone else has suggestions.

All the best for the holiday season and new year.

Return to “Software”