[SUPPORT] OpenLRSng support thread

Support and help for the OpenLRSng project.

Moderator: kha

Schaffertown

Re: [SUPPORT] OpenLRSng support thread

Post by Schaffertown »

I have the hk 1w orange module. I have been flying it for awhile with no issues. My friends that I fly with now has the same module. My question is do we need to set up the firmware configurator with different channels? or will it make the adjustments on its own? I plan on doing some long range Follow the Leader FPV. Any suggestions on how this would work the best would be great.

jamie16v

Post by jamie16v »

evening all,
I`m looking for some help.
I have an orange 1w open lrs tx and two orange lrs rx`s I can load firmware via the google chrome app and bind the rx`s and tx together without problem, I can aslo control servo`s etc via the rx.
However, I would like to get into the rx settings to enable ppm output for my pixhawk discovery (only allows ppm/sbus input) and my apm2.5 bixler.
I have tried to connect to the rx via the tx with the google app and it just wont connect.
here is one of the errors I get :
Transmission CRC check for command: 3 failed, re-connecting is advised.

And here is another error I get :

20:46:23 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 10
20:46:27 -- Module - OpenLRSng TX starting
20:46:27 -- Requesting to enter bind mode
20:46:27 -- Transmitter Firmware version - 3.7.0
20:46:27 -- Transmitter BIND data received
20:46:35 -- Trying to establish connection with the RX module
20:46:35 -- Failed response from the RX module
20:46:44 -- Trying to establish connection with the RX module
20:46:45 -- Failed response from the RX module

I get these errors before I even connect the RX to a power source so I know it`s not a problem with the Rx`s, I think this is either an issue with the tx issue or a software/firmware issue. Sometimes the countdown timer won`t even begin to count down.
any help would be really appreciated as I have been trying for a few nights to sort this out now.
Thanks guys, Jamie.
Highjack

Post by Highjack »

Hi every one,

I just bought orangerx TX and RX, I'm struggling to configure them with the configurator...

Here is what I did:
And I always get the following error messages when trying to connect:
[tab=30]10:01:11 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 1
[tab=30]10:01:22 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
[tab=30]10:01:22 -- Serial port successfully closed

And those messages when trying to update firmware:
[tab=30]10:02:27 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 3
[tab=30]10:02:31 -- Connection to the module failed
[tab=30]10:02:31 -- Serial port successfully closed

help would be appreciated, what am I doing wrong ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Highjack wrote:
  • First I had no ftdi so I use USBASP to upload the latest firmware to tx & rx
If you flashed the openLRSng hex file using an usbasp you'll have wiped the arduino bootloader off the board. Not sure if it is needed to use the serial functions, but that could be a pointer.
Highjack

Post by Highjack »

Kilrah wrote:
Highjack wrote:
  • First I had no ftdi so I use USBASP to upload the latest firmware to tx & rx
If you flashed the openLRSng hex file using an usbasp you'll have wiped the arduino bootloader off the board. Not sure if it is needed to use the serial functions, but that could be a pointer.
Ok, is it possible to put it back ?

Highjack

Post by Highjack »

I tried to upload the bootloader using arduino app and the usbasp, it did something, and then the board did not power up anymore, no led when putting a battery on it.

Then I re-uploaded the firmware and the board seem to be back to life, but I still can't use the configurator.
Highjack

Post by Highjack »

Ok, I cannot manage to get the configurator working with my orangerx tx or rx, but i can upload firmware to them via the arduino app.
The only thing I want to change is to get a sum ppm signal.

How can I do this ?
gwoodgeno

Post by gwoodgeno »

Greetings.
I am not able to communicate with my OrangeLRS via the serial interface.
I thought I wasn't a newbie here but after days of trying to make this work, I have decided I am.
I hope someone can give me some direction here. I am out of ideas.

I have been able to upload OpenLRSng-Mavlink via Arduino and a USBasp. Ir writes and reads and verifies.
But I cannot talk to it via either of my serial/USB adapters on any USB port with any baud rate setting using the Arduino Serial monitor or the Chrome configurator or the DTF UHF configurator. I have included screen shots from each. I flashed the Arduino bootloader and the Arduino serial monitor reaction changed but not to working. I still get the same results from the configurators.
I really want to progress with this project. I am stopped cold with this problem.
Can somebody please help?
THANK YOU!
Attachments
serialA.jpg
DTF.jpg
Chrome Configurator.jpg
Highjack

Post by Highjack »

Nope sorry, the problem is not solved, and no one seem to give a solution
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Your hardware might have a problem causing the PC's TX signal never to arrive to the module's processor. Don't know what else could cause that. Better check all solder joints and connectors.
jackanory

Post by jackanory »

Hello Guys,

Pulling my hair out at the moment :evil: , please need a few pointers.

Recently bought the HawkEye DTF UHF DeluxeTX Transmitter Taranis/JR/turnigy, and Hawkeye DTF UHF 433mhz 1Watt long range receiver which came preloaded with openlrsng.

Excellent pieces of kit, got them up and running with my 9xr and APM 2.6 without any hassle. also quite comfortable flashing new firmware using arduino or chrome.

I want to display mavlink telemetry on my 9xr, and as such i have done the telemetry mod on the 9xr and loaded open tx with mavlink extension.

What version of openlrsng should I load?

Next step will be to connect the APM telemetry TX/RX ports to the UHF Receiver RX/TX, how do I go about this on this hardware?

Then to set up the TX with correct settings (baud rates etc, and telemetry settings (no, yes, frsky, smartport) has me baffled), can anybody provide me with a combination that will work.

any help will be much appreciated,

also I have been having trouble accessing the CLI on the TX, have managed to do it once or twice by luck but can not seem to do it again? what is the correct method of doing this.

Thanks guys,
kha

Post by kha »

jamie16v wrote:evening all,
I`m looking for some help.
I have an orange 1w open lrs tx and two orange lrs rx`s I can load firmware via the google chrome app and bind the rx`s and tx together without problem, I can aslo control servo`s etc via the rx.
However, I would like to get into the rx settings to enable ppm output for my pixhawk discovery (only allows ppm/sbus input) and my apm2.5 bixler.
I have tried to connect to the rx via the tx with the google app and it just wont connect.
here is one of the errors I get :
Transmission CRC check for command: 3 failed, re-connecting is advised.

And here is another error I get :

20:46:23 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 10
20:46:27 -- Module - OpenLRSng TX starting
20:46:27 -- Requesting to enter bind mode
20:46:27 -- Transmitter Firmware version - 3.7.0
20:46:27 -- Transmitter BIND data received
20:46:35 -- Trying to establish connection with the RX module
20:46:35 -- Failed response from the RX module
20:46:44 -- Trying to establish connection with the RX module
20:46:45 -- Failed response from the RX module

I get these errors before I even connect the RX to a power source so I know it`s not a problem with the Rx`s, I think this is either an issue with the tx issue or a software/firmware issue. Sometimes the countdown timer won`t even begin to count down.
any help would be really appreciated as I have been trying for a few nights to sort this out now.
Thanks guys, Jamie.
Failed response on rx connect is almost certainly inadequate power, i.e. Tx brownouts when it send data to rx. Try powering tx via your transmitter or use piwered usb hub.

Sent by kha's fat fingers on phablet
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Hello,

I have updated a HK Orange 433 100mW TX and Orange RX with the last firmware using Chrome app.

Everything channel work well except the serial PPM stream output, that I need !

I have inserted a jumper between channel 1 and channel 3 and number of channels is limited to 8

But on the channel 8 output I see only one pulse (channel 8)

Please is there something to add in the configuration to get PPM serial on one output ?

Thanks for your help.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You need to configure the pin functions with the app, yes.

Sent via mobile
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Hello Kilrah,

Thanks for your fast answer.

But I'm really not happy with Chrome APP
06:56:40 -- Running - OS: Windows, Chrome: 37.0.2062.124, Configurator: 0.48
06:56:50 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 1
06:56:58 -- You can't view this tab at the moment. You need to connect first
06:57:00 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
06:57:00 -- Serial port successfully closed
06:57:08 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 2
06:57:11 -- You can't do this right now, please wait for current operation to finish
06:57:19 -- Start message not received within 10 seconds, disconnecting
06:57:19 -- Serial port successfully closed
06:58:09 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 3
06:58:10 -- Serial port successfully closed
06:58:10 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 4
06:58:13 -- Connection to the module failed
06:58:13 -- Serial port successfully closed

Yesterday I could have this application working for some minuts, I have flashed TX & RX, and after that nothing ..
This morning same problem ...

I will try to get sources and compile it with Arduino, but I'm not an expert and when compilation fail is not easy to solve it.
When you download a zip package, supposed to be ready to use, you open it and get a lot of compilation errors, what do you think about the author ?

Also, I'm very surprised that serial PPM is not available easily on a dedicated pin.
For one firmware, you have to insert a jump between servo pins 1-3 and get the stream on channel 8
With an other firmware PPM stream is on pin 5 ....
It is very confusing for beginners.

Best Regards
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Well - firstly YOU chose to replace the OpenLRS firmware that came on the hardware when you bought it by another one done by other people - your choice ;)

Then with OpenLRSng you do not have to compile anything, you have nothing to download besides installing the configurator.

The jumper method has been replaced long ago by the configurator, simply because there are now many more options, not only PPM. You can also have SBUS, DSM, completely change the order of channels, duplicate outputs... See here about how to connect and configure:
https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng/ ... ings-Guide

Note that you always connect the transmitter module to the PC even for configuring the receiver.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Hello,

""Well - firstly YOU chose to replace the OpenLRS firmware that came on the hardware when you bought it by another one done by other people - your choice ;),"

I choose ... not really, the original firmware is not able to output a basic serial ppm, so I tried to find an other one who can do that !

For The Configurator, I'm sorry but it stops working for me , I don't know why (may be, because I don't like Google Chrome) !

Anyway if you could give me some indication, where I can indicate in the sources files that I would like an output PPM stream on Channel 8 pin, I could compile it under Arduino IDE and go further.

Best regards
kha

Post by kha »

Rebus wrote:Hello,

""Well - firstly YOU chose to replace the OpenLRS firmware that came on the hardware when you bought it by another one done by other people - your choice ;),"

I choose ... not really, the original firmware is not able to output a basic serial ppm, so I tried to find an other one who can do that !

For The Configurator, I'm sorry but it stops working for me , I don't know why (may be, because I don't like Google Chrome) !

Anyway if you could give me some indication, where I can indicate in the sources files that I would like an output PPM stream on Channel 8 pin, I could compile it under Arduino IDE and go further.

Best regards
You can still condigure via serial terminal without using configurator.

Have the tx in bind mode while connected to pc (keep button down pn powerup/reset.

When tx is beeping press enter on serial terminal and you will be issued with menu (115200 8n1). Press Z and it will start connecting to RX (power rx up during the timeout).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Hello,

Sorry, I have tried your "out of the hat" solution but nothing happen !

I will investigate in the files package, to compile exactly what I need.

Best Regards
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You must have a problem with your serial interface.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

When you speak about "serial interface", is the Arduino terminal inside IDE ?

(I'm using Windows 7 64bits)
kha

Post by kha »

Rebus wrote:When you speak about "serial interface", is the Arduino terminal inside IDE ?

(I'm using Windows 7 64bits)
You can use arduino serial monitor but teraterm or putty will work better.
If you want to hack code then you can enable ppm by modifying binding.h:RxInitDefaults() however that is not supported.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Rebus wrote:When you speak about "serial interface", is the Arduino terminal inside IDE ?
No, I meant the cable you use to connect your TX module to the computer. If neither the configurator nor a terminal will talk, that would be a possibility.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

In binding.h, I have found this line :
void rxInitDefaults(bool save)

not very explicit for a newbie as me ...
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Postby Kilrah » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:41 pm
You must have a problem with your serial interface.
You are certainly thru my FTDI should be dead, I can do nothing with.
It is recognized by Windows 7 but that all.

I will order a new one
pct06

Post by pct06 »

Hi

I am facing some issues while setting up DTF UHF on a disco pro with a Naza V2 via PPM.
My disco was running before with a 9XR so I know it's working.
I have a Taranis Plus, DTF UHF Deluxe Jr TX, DTF UHF MiniRx RX (8ch), both running 3.7.1
I want channel 1 to 7 using PPM output on port 1 of the RX and channel 8 with PWM for the Video switch on port 2 of the RX, as the video switch need PWM on the disco pro.

My setup is the following:
1/ Taranis is set to use PPM on Ch1 to 7.
2/ TX is set to use 12 channels from the Taranis (field RC output configuration).
3/ RX is set to limit PPM to 8 channels, port 1 is PPM, port 2 is channel 8.
3/ Naza is set to receiver PPM and port 1 of the RX goes to X2.

My understanding is that: ch 1 to 7 from the radio will be multiplexed via PPM and output on port 1 of the receiver, port 2 should output the channel 8 of the taranis using PWM.

Now the Issue:
1/ while the first 7 channels are working on the Naza via PPM, I am unable to use the channel 8: when trying to put a servo on the port 2 of thr RX, it does not move.
What's wrong ?

Can some one confirm you can use PPM and PWM simultaneaously ?

Side question: I understand DTF UHF TX is by default using RSSI and is beeping when signal is low.
Using a Taranis, I would like to display RSSI on the Taranis, also putting some voice alert and disable the beeping from the Jr module.
1/ can I disable beep on the TX?
2/ what type of telemetry should I use in OpenTx Companion: Frsky S.Port or Frsk D ?
3/ do I need special setup or just enable Telemetry and use RSSI default setup ? I tried S.Port but I have a no data message when displaying RSSI on the Taranis. What setup do I need on the Taranis Plus, the TX and the RX ?

thanks

Thanks a lot for your help.
kha

Post by kha »

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... p=29787547

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
djvdberg

Post by djvdberg »

Hi guys, please help,

I bought 2 x RX and one Tx (100Mw) a long time ago from Hobbyking and installed the custom firmware back then,

Problem now is the configurator doesn't detect the tx or rx, I'm trying ti upload the firmware. It opens serial, I can see the board resets but then nothing, just times out. I've tried putting on origional bootcode with AVRISP MKII, but which board do I select? The one Rx now just flashes, probably wrong bootcode?

The FTDI I'm using is this one, I'm using it to flash multiwii firmware, so it works - http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=186

Pleaase help? :(

Dion
djvdberg

Post by djvdberg »

Ok so I got a little bit further,

Managed to upload the firmware on Tx and RX but via Arduino and AVRISP,

I now still can't get it connected to the Configurator via FTDI?? What gives? Even CLI is not working,

Thanks!
D
IdefixRC

Post by IdefixRC »

In case someone has access to a 3D printer, here is a great backplate for the JR module which solves the antenna position problem with the original OrangeRX module and also incorporates a slot to mount a BT module.

All types come in 2 versions, one with serial pins covered and one with serial pins exposed.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:540641

FPV, RC, 3D Printing and more..........
Link to my YouTube Channel: http://goo.gl/4HrjtR
Link to my Thingiverse Page: http://goo.gl/cayWH5

Return to “OpenLRSng”