Walkera DEVO 8S RF Module

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Hexperience

Re: Walkera DEVO 8S RF Module

Post by Hexperience »

Micro Buzzer wrote:How about porting ER9X/ERSKY9X to the DEVO8?
Although I would never disagree with any tx getting a custom firmware, I'm more interested to see what can be done with the module in a 9x. The real question is, and I put this to the "pros" here. Is the processor in the 9x fast enought to handle the requirements of the module? Some one mentioned that this module could be made to speak spektrum and other protocols, if the software (and I assume hardware) can do the job. There's no point getting hopes up if the processor just can't do it.

However, if it can... what a world of possiblities... bind to anything... telemetry... wow.
It really could be "One radio to rule them all"... :D

I've done some hacking in the past... hence the nickname HEXperience, but my time is so limited I couldn't catch up let alone help. Very excited to see where this goes though.

CHEERS everyone!

Thanks for that document by the way... great reading. Here's a link to the DIY RC project using the CYRF6936
http://sites.google.com/site/mrdunk/Home
great reading...
Sky9X: One radio to rule them all, and in the darkness BIND them.

yovio

Post by yovio »

Well, we can always use another uC like ATTiny to translate from serial protocol that currently supported by ER9x become SPI communication to the RF Chip.

This way we can remove certain limitation that exist on modules that we use right now like, number of channels, have Full range, etc.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Shall I create a separate sub forum for this project?

Would be an interesting 'port' if it works!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
yovio

Post by yovio »

Just wondering if anyone has more information on the SPI protocol use by Spektrum. I know few peoples in rcgroup has done it earlier but some information has been deleted.

I have done sniffing on the SPI bus and save the log but, based on this log and CYRF register information we can figure out how should we control the RF Chip. At the moment my hands are full right with arducopter, so if someone here knows some information about the SPI protocol it would be easier to create firmware for translating serial into SPI.

Also I found an arduino library to control CYRF6936 and this will be helpful :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=111
tmik

Post by tmik »

Hello all,

I have a Devo 8 with 10mW output. If I change the RF module for this one will it increase the power output to 100mW? If not, is there any way I can do it?
Apologies if this isn't the place to post - please point me in the right direction if appropriate.

Thanks

uphiearl

Post by uphiearl »

power output is variable by the menu. you can select +20 dbm(100mw)
Earl
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

I think we can actually use this....

I have an idea.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

oh, oh!!.... brainstorm coming.. :lol: ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
FDR

Post by FDR »

Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

erazz wrote:I think we can actually use this....
I have an idea.
This is the kind to thing that drives up stock prices! :D
I wonder if ehirobo got any new orders in the last couple hours. ;)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Planning an evo9x. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

I hope not! I want an er9era! ? or... well which ever one adds the walkera module to the 9x. I've got a MiniCP in my shopping cart ready to click... :)
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

I'm just planing to use the module as a Cypress platform.... Just nice to have it all contained and FCC approved.
Just not sure what to do with the receiver yet... Might use another module...
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
MatCat

Post by MatCat »

For the Devo 8 I started a thread on rcgroups at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st21000103 to discuss the potentials with it. I encourage anyone with the skill to help make it a reality to come over and give some input on how to do it!
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

erazz wrote:I'm just planing to use the module as a Cypress platform.... Just nice to have it all contained and FCC approved.
Just not sure what to do with the receiver yet... Might use another module...
I think I can see where you are going on this, and it's great, but for me I'm hoping someone will be able to reverse engineer Walkera's protocol. I can solder a couple of wires together, but I can't build an RX.
The only way would be if someone did up a board and sold them.

So is er9x going to turn into a completely stand alone open hardware platform to go along with the open firmware? :D

That would be fantastic.... still.... waiting to click on the buy button on that Walkera MiniCP! ;)

Best of luck..
Dave
Bpgoa

Post by Bpgoa »

It would be great if we could get the module to work for walkera and run DSM. It would turn the transmitter into a fantastic one size fits all unit. How can I help?

Ps. I know this is my first post but have been lurking for ages. Thanks to you guys I have been able to flash and mo to my hearts content :)
PhracturedBlue

Post by PhracturedBlue »

Bpgoa wrote:It would be great if we could get the module to work for walkera and run DSM. It would turn the transmitter into a fantastic one size fits all unit. How can I help?
It appears that the only way to use this module for Walkera will be to reverse engineer the protocol from a walkera Tx (or directly from the firmware). Using it for DSM would require either pulling the firmware out of the X1TXN or equivalent or reverse engineering the communication to the Cypress chip on that board. I've looked around and seen no efforts of anyone working on either of those at the moment. The same thing would go for any protocol you wanted to use this for, since as far as I know all of the modules supported by the 9x firmwares have an onboard uC to convert the input to something to send to the transceiver chip. I've not seen any open protocols that are in use so far.

reverse engineering any protocol would probably require using a logic analyzer connected to the cypress chip (I think just about all of the 2.4GHz Tx use one of 2 cypress chips?) and then sending known commands to see what the results are. I haven't looked at the data sheet for the CYRF6936, and don't know much about sending data to a chip like this, and I have no idea how sophisticated the protocols are.

So to make any progress at this point you probably need to either:
a) have a DSM2 or Walkera transmitter (and possibly an Rx) and a logic analyzer
b) know how to reverse engineer ARM firmware
to be able to make progress on this.

Personally, I'm looking forward to having some time to give it a shot, but while I have most of the required equipment, I've only done limited protocol reverse engineering, so I'd be more likely to work on (b) than (a).
rev0

Post by rev0 »

I don't have a logic analyzer, but I've got a scope and some skill dealing with protocols/microcontrollers. I'm more versed on the RF/hardware side, but I've gone ahead and ordered an 8S/12S upgrade module, looks like a fun module to play with. I'll be looking forward to any developments on the topic.
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

Personally, I don't see the need at this point to make the "Walkera" module do DSM, we can easily use an existing DSM module (and even leave it hardwired inside the TX if we want).

I have no ability to reverse engineer the walkera protocols, but I'm really hoping that is the direction people decide to work on. Unless Walkera were to sell a JR compatible module, the only way to fly a Mini-CP is with a Walkera radio. Thats perfectly fine and normal, but for me it's not worth the investment. If I can get a Mini-CP to work with my existing radio great, if not, Walkera won't be selling me any heli's.

Now, talking about it on a totally different topic, yes, the Cypress Chip used in the walkera module has huge potential to be used in a completely custom, two way protocol and that will be great, but nothing to do with Walkera.

I hope we can seporate the two trains of thought in this thread somehow.
ttabbal

Post by ttabbal »

For the Walkera protocol, you would need the radio the module fits into, then you could connect a logic analyzer and see what it does. I have an analyzer, and could buy the module, but their TX is expensive. :)
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

Yep, we're waiting for someone with the logic analyzer AND a walkera tx and the time and skills to do it.... could be a long wait, seems everyone is working on other projects which is fine. Perhaps once ersky9x is done.
hammer22

Post by hammer22 »

Hi,
I'm a new member here but I have been active on RCGroups for a while. I've been working with CYRF6936 based RF modules for a while and bought a few of the Walkera 8S/12S modules when I found out they were available. I've played around with the module some and have it working in my own project (DSM2/DSMX TX module) but I'd like to share some info for those who are planning to use the module in their own project. The CYRF6936 chip is fully capable of automatically controlling an external PA/LNA via the PACTL and XOUT pins. When the CYRF6936 is configured for this, the PACTL goes high and the XOUT pin goes low when in TX mode. The state is reversed when in RX mode

I don't know why but Walkera inverted the functions of these two pins when they designed the module so that in TX mode, XOUT needs to be high and PACTL needs to be low. This can't be done in automatic control mode with the CYRF6936. So... in order to properly control the PA/LNA, the PACTL and XOUT pins must be set as GPIO and controlled by SPI writes to the GPIO_CTRL_ADR in the CYRF6936. If you don't know this, you'll never get the module to do anything. I'm thinking it was done this way to make the modules work only in Walkera gear. Hope someone finds this info useful.
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

I think we found our volunteer! ;)

I too hope someone finds that info useful. :)
itsmillertime

Post by itsmillertime »

Any progress with this? I have a Walkera mini cp, Turnigy 9x and would like to be able to fly one with the other, lol.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

FWIW, they are making some progress over on the Walkera hack thread on RCG
One guy is doing most of the "heavy lifting" so far ( ala erazz and now Mike B :lol: ) and he has binding working now

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=618

He seems pretty determined, so with a bit more time we should be able to get those Walkera modules working.

Pat MacKenzie
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for the update. I got 2 of these modules hoping someday to use them with my 9x. Would like to have a walkera 120d02s
Micro Buzzer

Post by Micro Buzzer »

I think this would be a great time to re-visit the possibility of using the Devo module in the 9x. Some smart people are writing there own firmware for the Devo 8s called Deviation. http://www.deviationtx.com/

From the Deviation website:
"Support for multiple protocols without any modifications to the transmitter:

Walkera Devo 6/7/8/10/12
Walkera WK2401/WK2601/WK2801
Nine Eagles J6 Pro (requires telemetry module)
DSM2
DSMx (in progress)"

That means it is possible that we could get support for all these protocols using the $10 module? What I understand is that we need a SPI interface from the 9x to the Devo module. We could barrow the code from the Deviation project.
microflyer

Post by microflyer »

Moving hardware from a devo4 or devo7E to a 9x would make an excellent full function Tx with deviation giving dsm2 also. I'd much prefer a 9x with walkera module though even if I hadn't just given in to the mini cp and Devo7E
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

Me too. I went with the v120d02s and 8s tx. i have the module as well but don't know how to port the code. They say with a mod the 8s can also do frsky so my 9x might be on the shelf....

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
FDR

Post by FDR »

microflyer wrote:Moving hardware from a devo4 or devo7E to a 9x would make an excellent full function Tx with deviation giving dsm2 also. I'd much prefer a 9x with walkera module though even if I hadn't just given in to the mini cp and Devo7E
The DEVO 4 doesn't have a separate RF module, it is integrated on it's main board.
The DEVO 7E has a separate RF module, but it is soldered on the main board, instead of being a plug in type like the 8S module...

Return to “er9x”