9x turnigy telemetry mod working with djt but not xjt

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
greyfox

9x turnigy telemetry mod working with djt but not xjt

Post by greyfox »

Hi guys need some help , i mod my 9x turnigy and mod for telemetry using rs232 leveler it working with djt but not xjt,

firmware er9x frsky noth 813
module rx FLD-02 telemetry mod

djt d8r-II plus Working Working
xjt d8r-II plus Working not Working

I already try to bind with pmm and pxx d8 but both get same result ,

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9x turnigy telemetry mod working with djt but not xjt

Post by MikeB »

How are you wiring the telemetry from the module to the RS232 converter?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
greyfox

Post by greyfox »

MikeB wrote:How are you wiring the telemetry from the module to the RS232 converter?

Mike.

same as this pics only im using djt and xjt with this rs232

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I mean:
Have you modified the DJT to connect to pin 5 of the module connector, or are you connecting using the connector on the module beside the two small switches?
Similarly for the XJT. This doesn't need any mods as it already send the SPort data on pin 5 of the module connector.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
greyfox

Post by greyfox »

MikeB wrote:I mean:
Have you modified the DJT to connect to pin 5 of the module connector, or are you connecting using the connector on the module beside the two small switches?
Similarly for the XJT. This doesn't need any mods as it already send the SPort data on pin 5 of the module connector.

Mike.

I'm using the connector 4 pin mark as rxd , txd ,+5v and gnd on back of the module ( connetor for FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen) djt and xjt , rxd and txd it go to rs232 level

Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Sry for hijacking!

Mike, does it mean that if I want to put a xjt in a 9x I only have to make the telemetry mod on the radio and the connection between the backboard/ module and the mainboard without any changes on the module?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

greyfox: To use the 4-pin connector on the XJT you need to set to protocol to PPM and set the switches on the back of the module to D8 mode.
If you use PXX, then you must use the SPort (3-pin) connector.

Koarl: Yes, if you have the telemetry mod done, with inverter in the telemetry signal, then the XJT works with no modifications. Just select PXX as the protocol and SPort telemetry will be automatically selected.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

I have a gruvin board installed, that makes it even easier! Am I right, that I only have to make the connection between the module connector pin 5 and the gruvin board via the backboard without any additional resistors and stuff? Just two cables?
Thanks!
greyfox

Post by greyfox »

MikeB wrote:greyfox: To use the 4-pin connector on the XJT you need to set to protocol to PPM and set the switches on the back of the module to D8 mode.
If you use PXX, then you must use the SPort (3-pin) connector.

Mike.
that what it did ,

on tx er9x menu I set protocol to ppm
on back of xjt module the switch 1 is on and switch 2 is off (D8 mode)

if i use FLD-02 i get data but not with telemetry mod on er9x
i don't think the telemetry mod that i did is wrong since i get all data use it with djt module ,

btw can you show me how to using SPort what i need to do

Thank in Advance
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just checked using my XJT, with the switches in 'D' mode and a D8R-II receiver.
I get telemetry sent on the 4-pin connector, however, unlike the DJT that sends full RS232 levels (at least +/-5V), the XJT only sends 0V and 3.3V. This may not be enough for the particular RS232 converter you are using, although reading the datasheet for the MAX3232 it should be OK.

I looked at the signal on a 'scope, rather than use it for the telemetry, all my radios have internal connections to pin 5 of the module connector.

To use the SPort signal, you just use the signal pin (top pin of the three pins), and route this to where the Tx pin of the 4-pin connector goes.
I suggest double checking the wiring to your RS232 converter before connecting this. The transmit output of the converter should have -5 Volts (minus five) on it. Connect the SPort signal to the other connection. If you have not modified your DJT in any way, then you should be able to wire pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector to the RS232 converter, then the XJT SPort signal will connect internally, and if you use a DJT then this pin is not connected.
Then select the protocol to PXX. The telemetry should automatically change to the SPort operation.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
greyfox

Post by greyfox »

MikeB wrote:I just checked using my XJT, with the switches in 'D' mode and a D8R-II receiver.
I get telemetry sent on the 4-pin connector, however, unlike the DJT that sends full RS232 levels (at least +/-5V), the XJT only sends 0V and 3.3V. This may not be enough for the particular RS232 converter you are using, although reading the datasheet for the MAX3232 it should be OK.

I looked at the signal on a 'scope, rather than use it for the telemetry, all my radios have internal connections to pin 5 of the module connector.

To use the SPort signal, you just use the signal pin (top pin of the three pins), and route this to where the Tx pin of the 4-pin connector goes.
I suggest double checking the wiring to your RS232 converter before connecting this. The transmit output of the converter should have -5 Volts (minus five) on it. Connect the SPort signal to the other connection. If you have not modified your DJT in any way, then you should be able to wire pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector to the RS232 converter, then the XJT SPort signal will connect internally, and if you use a DJT then this pin is not connected.
Then select the protocol to PXX. The telemetry should automatically change to the SPort operation.

Mike.
Thank Mike it work with using SPort , I'm Using 3 PIN connector on back off the XJT module
I get the voltage and rx but not tx it's value only 1 is this correct ?
here is the pics

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the XJT doesn't send Tx RSSI but a SWR value instead. A value of 1 for this is good.
I need to change the firmware so it conditionally shows "Swr" instead of "Tx=" when in SPort mode!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jacks23

Post by jacks23 »

Hi,

you can post pictures of the modify?

Thanks
czsorin

Post by czsorin »

I have a new X9 transmitter. I burn the Open TX 2.1.3 . I connect my XJT FRSKY module with X8R receiver. I connect the S PORT data wire, using the signal a inverter with 2N2222 transistor, to pin 2 of the internal ATMEGA64 (that is RX0 of the micro-controller). I saw on oscilloscope correct signal on pin 2 of the micro-controller. But I have NO DATA on telemetry screen. So why is not working? Somebody can help ? Thanks a lot!
Sorin
bandyr

Post by bandyr »

Hi I have the same problem I get rssi only RX I didn't have TX on screen .
I have XJT module with 8XR receiver I used rs232 to ttl converter and wiring wichout any resistor's
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As said above the XJT does not supply a TX value.
DJGeloRC

Post by DJGeloRC »

hello!
I have Turnigy 9X and I made telemetry mod http://sizz.name/3986-telemetriya-v-tur ... ment-15280 for it. As transmitter I'm using FrSky XJT + X8R module as a receiever. Also I connected to S.Port telemetry from APM (via ardu-converter like this http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/amp-t ... -converter). As a result I got RSSI working well, but all other data from APM - with mistakes, except Altitude, which is correct on the second telemetry data scren, but on the main telemetry screen, where Lat\Lon are shown Alt is aso incorrect. I checked this configuration with Taranis X9D - it works well!! I also updated my Turnigy to latest ER9X FRSKY firmware - v.818. Only one thing I missed - in this firmware I cant find option FRSKY MOD DONE...
sloth711

Post by sloth711 »

hello.

someone can help me?

i need to make my frsky xjt show the telemetry values on screen

thank you
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please give us some more details:
Is this on an ordinary turnigy 9X?
What firmware do you have on the transmitter?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”