[MAVLINK] Input needed for MAVLINK ArduPlane / ArduCopter.

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
LTMNO

Re: [MAVLINK] Input needed for MAVLINK ArduPlane / ArduCopte

Post by LTMNO »

Hello again Pienk...
Firstly apologize for not reading the full thread earlier with your post of screens... amazing work!
I think instead of having a full screen for Mode but rather just have the footer banner bar with ( [Flight Mode] / [Armed/Disarmed] )
I forgot to mention that.

Happy New Year!
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

frikzy

Post by frikzy »

Hi LTMNO,
i mounted 3DR radio outside 9x, behind the tablet (Nexus 7). 3DR radio is connected to tablet via OTG cable. I used 4 wire cable from inside of 9x (RX, TX, GND and +5V) and connected it to 3DR radio. GND is connected to GND on 3DR radio, RX is soldered to DTX on HM-TRP module, and +5V with diode to +5V on USB connector of 3DR radio. TX is not connected, because I only receive telemetry with my 9x. Now I have telemetry with one 3DR radio simultaneosly on tablet and on 9x radio. If I don't use tablet, 3DR radio is powered from 9x. It is only proof of concept for now. I need to put kind of connector with telemetry wires, so that I can disconnect 3DR radio from 9x when I don't need it. If I could put an image to the forum it would be much better.
Last edited by frikzy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

frikzy wrote:Hi LTMNO,
i mounted 3DR radio outside 9x, behind the tablet (Nexus 7). 3DR radio is connected to tablet via OTG cable. I used 4 wire cable from inside of 9x (RX, TX, GND and +5V) and connected it to 3DR radio. GND is connected to GND on 3DR radio, RX is velded to DTX on HM-TRP module, and +5V with diode to +5V on USB connector of 3DR radio. TX is not connected, because I only receive telemetry with my 9x. Now I have telemetry with one 3DR radio simultaneosly on tablet and on 9x radio. If I don't use tablet, 3DR radio is powered from 9x. It is only proof of concept for now. I need to put kind of connector with telemetry wires, so that I can disconnect 3DR radio from 9x when I don't need it. If I could put an image to the forum it would be much better.
Thanks...
2 more posts and you an post a picture... reply to this one and then one more ;-)
frikzy

Post by frikzy »

Ground model of 3DR radio have USB connector, but it also has the same HM-TRP module like on air model of 3DR radio. HM-TRP has 3.3 V TTL signals, so it only needs to connect right pins to 9x board.
HM-TRP Series 100mW Transceiver modules
frikzy

Post by frikzy »

pienk wrote:
frikzy wrote:Hi pienk,

I loaded latest OpenTX with MAVLINK support via Companion9x. My radio is Turnigy 9x with telemetry mod hooked to 3DR clone 433MHz radio for telemetry. Unfortunately I can't get any telemetry when I go to mavlink screens in 9x. At what baudrate telemetry works and how can I set it. When I press MENU in any MAVLINK screen I can't get possibility to change baudrate. Does your mavlink telemetry work with standard 57600 baud rate. Thank you for your work to bring mavlink telemetry to 9x radios.

Cheers,
Bruno
Hi Bruno,
In the latesed version of Open TX the baudrate has been moved to the Radio setup menu. Allmost at the botom is the baudrate setting. Also in the model menu is the posibility to callibrate the RC RSSI scale.
Hi pienk,
after some time trying MAVLINK telemetry over 3DR radio I have some new moments:
1) Only 9x and 3DR radio, connected RX, TX, GND and +5V.
I only get mavlink heartbeat and data on screen 1 and 2. All other data are 0 (zero) on screens 3, 4 and 5.
2) 9x and 3DR radio & tablet, connected RX, TX, GND and +5V and tablet via USB OTG cable. In that case situation is the same with mavlink telemetry screens on 9x, as in case 1. But, DroidPlanner or Andropilot can not establish connection with my APM2.5.2 over 3DR radio.
3) 9x and 3DR radio & tablet, connected RX only, GND and +5V and tablet via USB OTG cable. If I first power on 9x radio, than DroidPlanner or Andropilot can not establish connection with APM2.5.2 over 3DR radio.
4) 9x and 3DR radio & tablet, connected RX only, GND and +5V and tablet via USB OTG cable. I first power tablet and DroidPlanner or Andropilot establish connection with APM2.5.2 over 3DR radio. Than I power on 9x radio and have full telemetry on all screens (GPS & NAV too). But what's interesting, when I disconnect tablet, telemetry conitinues to work on 9x with no problems. I can also reconnect tablet and start DroidPlanner or Andropilot, they connect again to APM and everything works OK. One more thing. If I power-off 9x radio and tablet (APM stays powered-on) and than again power-on 9x radio, telemetry works on all screens.

It seems to me that mavlink telemetry link on APM2.5.2 needs to be initiated in some way to start sending all data. With only 9x and 3DR radio connected it does not initiate link, so there are no GPS and NAV data on screens 4 and 5. But changing of flight modes is transfered back to 9x screen 2. When telemetry link is once initiated by Andropilot or DroidPlanner, than it stays all the time APM is powered on, no matter if tablet or 9x are disconnected.

EDIT: After reflashing 3DR radio to new SiK 1.9 firmware (from 25-Mar-2014) it seems that mavlink telemetry works OK. All telemetry screens are populated few moments after connection. No need to initiate mavlink connection some other ways.
Last edited by frikzy on Thu May 08, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frikzy

Post by frikzy »

If someone is interested, here are some photos of my telemetry setup.
Turnigy 9x and Nexus 7 tablet
Turnigy 9x and Nexus 7 tablet
9X MAVLINK telemetry and DroidPlanner 2.0 on tablet
9X MAVLINK telemetry and DroidPlanner 2.0 on tablet
How it is connected
How it is connected
frikzy

Post by frikzy »

After some time I made 3DR Radio (433 MHz) to Bluetooth bridge.
Now I mainly use bluetooth to connect to tablet with DroidPlanner.
3DR Radio to Bluetooth Bridge
3DR Radio to Bluetooth Bridge
Attachments
IMG_20140508_204601_s.jpg
3DR to Bluettooth Bridge.jpg
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

nicely done!
shaggee

Post by shaggee »

Can someone tell me what is "PC RSSI" and why Its always 0?
DwayneDibbley

Post by DwayneDibbley »

Will MAVLINK version of open TX work with, the APM > Ardrino Mini Pro > Frsky RX > Frsky TX > 9XR with Mod ?

i currently have the Frsky version of OpenTX working with limited options, but would like to use the more user friendly screens in this version?

Thanks
krisp

Post by krisp »

pienk wrote: I saw in you other topic "Re: Is Mavlink data supported?" that you are using the Taranis. At the momment only the stock 9x is supported becouse this was the only hardware I had. But last week I got my Taranis. This does not mean I'm going to start porting straigt away. First I want to finish the current mavlink extension. But after that it will definately be ported to the taranis.
Keep watching this topic for updates.

Rienk
Hi pienk

Did you ever work on porting this over to taranis? With the new 9XR pro sharing the same platform it would be nice to move working openlrs/mavlink setups over.
j0bro

Post by j0bro »

Native Mavlink in Taranis, oh yeah :)
It was announced by kha to be added to OpenLRSng, but he is too busy and doesn't own an APM or other Mavlink device. To have it in the radio directly would be ultimately awesome. Thanks upfront!
krisp

Post by krisp »

I was taking a look at the code last night, it seems like it would be possible to use the sky9x telemetry driver like flysky uses for the serial data instead of the serial.cpp mavlink uses currently that is specific to the m64/128 boards.
frikzy

Post by frikzy »

Hi pienk,
my mavlink telemetry works great, but due to some changes in arducopter code there are some new flightmodes. There are some inconsistencies in chosen flightmodes and that reported on the screen of t9x via mavlink telemetry. Drift mode is reported as "Toy A", PosHold as "le" and RTH as "RTL".
Is it possible to change the code so to report proper flightmodes from APM?

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm working (slowly!) on providing options in ersky9x to handle different telemetry data. Er9x, for the M64, has builds for JETI, ARDUPILOT and MAVLINK. I'm trying to integrate all these into ersky9x. Since I don't have any of those, I will, at some point, be looking for people to test them out!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jt41time

Post by jt41time »

frikzy wrote:
pienk wrote:

I loaded latest OpenTX with MAVLINK support via Companion9x. My radio is Turnigy 9x with telemetry mod hooked to 3DR clone 433MHz radio for telemetry. Unfortunately I can't get any telemetry when I go to mavlink screens in 9x. At what baudrate telemetry works and how can I set it. When I press MENU in any MAVLINK screen I can't get possibility to change baudrate. Does your mavlink telemetry work with standard 57600 baud rate. Thank you for your work to bring mavlink telemetry to 9x radios.

Cheers,
Bruno
Hi Bruno,
In the latesed version of Open TX the baudrate has been moved to the Radio setup menu. Allmost at the botom is the baudrate setting. Also in the model menu is the posibility to callibrate the RC RSSI scale.
Hi pienk,
after some time trying MAVLINK telemetry over 3DR radio I have some new moments:
I only get mavlink heartbeat and data on screen 1 and 2. All other data are 0 (zero) on screens 3, 4 and 5.
2) 9x and 3DR radio & tablet, connected RX, TX, GND and +5V and tablet via USB OTG cable. In that case situation is the same with mavlink telemetry screens on 9x, as in case 1. But, DroidPlanner or Andropilot can not establish connection with my APM2.5.2 over 3DR radio.
3) 9x and 3DR radio & tablet, connected RX only, GND and +5V and tablet via USB OTG cable. If I first power on 9x radio, than DroidPlanner or Andropilot can not establish connection with APM2.5.2 over 3DR radio.
4) 9x and 3DR radio & tablet, connected RX only, GND and +5V and tablet via USB OTG cable. I first power tablet and DroidPlanner or Andropilot establish connection with APM2.5.2 over 3DR radio. Than I power on 9x radio and have full telemetry on all screens (GPS & NAV too). But what's interesting, when I disconnect tablet, telemetry conitinues to work on 9x with no problems. I can also reconnect tablet and start DroidPlanner or Andropilot, they connect again to APM and everything works OK. One more thing. If I power-off 9x radio and tablet (APM stays powered-on) and than again power-on 9x radio, telemetry works on all screens.

It seems to me that mavlink telemetry link on APM2.5.2 needs to be initiated in some way to start sending all data. With only 9x and 3DR radio connected it does not initiate link, so there are no GPS and NAV data on screens 4 and 5. But changing of flight modes is transfered back to 9x screen 2. When telemetry link is once initiated by Andropilot or DroidPlanner, than it stays all the time APM is powered on, no matter if tablet or 9x are disconnected.

EDIT: After reflashing 3DR radio to new SiK 1.9 firmware (from 25-Mar-2014) it seems that mavlink telemetry works OK. All telemetry screens are populated few moments after connection. No need to initiate mavlink connection some other ways.

What mods are you doing in the 9XR to get the data to the 9XR? How are you getting the TX line from the modem to the main board? I really need to do this on mine. Really NEED to do this. sorry for the newbie queston.
jt41time

Post by jt41time »

Come on peeps. Please help me out..... I have been told by many that the mavlink mod is only with openlrs module. But it looks as if there is no module and you are using the 3dr radio only.... i need to prove them wrong.
SamTabor

Post by SamTabor »

Hi Rienk,

Just wondering if you are still planning on adding the mavlink option for Taranis?
Also, I downloaded the mavlink enabled firmware for 9X to use in the simulator. However it seems to be identical to the 9X firmware without mavlink, no extra screens or menu options. Is the build server no longer compiling in the mavlink code?

Sam
cxlabs

Post by cxlabs »

Yesterday night i flashed my sky9x board with opentx 2.12 and attached mods.
it's working with mavlink and arduplane 2.76 - openlrsng 3.7.1 !! @ 19200 baud datarate :-)

Be careful i use linux and native gcc 4.7.3 20130312 (prerelease) (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors / bleeding-edge-toolchain-130503)
Attachments
opentx-v2.12-v2.12a.patch
(10.16 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
SamTabor

Post by SamTabor »

I got this working on Taranis as well, the firmware is here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing. I am now working on getting the mavlink values copied into the frsky ones so that the lua scripts here can work http://diydrones.com/m/discussion?id=70 ... %3A1539556. To get mavlink working you need to use an external module eg openLRS and supply inverted serial to the module bay pin. Then select the right baud rate on the radio maenu and select Mavlink under telemetry type on the model telemetry screen. Sam
IdefixRC

Post by IdefixRC »

Sam,

I'm trying to get this done for a Taranis Plus (incl. lua).
Would it be possible for you to post both the original source you used as well as the source code after the modifications you did?
This way I would compare the 2, follow your steps and modify the Taranis Plus 2.0.13 code to enable Mavlink as well.

Thanks !
FPV, RC, 3D Printing and more..........
Link to my YouTube Channel: http://goo.gl/4HrjtR
Link to my Thingiverse Page: http://goo.gl/cayWH5
SamTabor

Post by SamTabor »

I have pushed the original code to https://github.com/samuelctabor/opentx/tree/master/
I have also compiled with
make PCB=TARANIS HELI=YES LUA=YES EXT=FRSKY-MAVLINK PCBREV=REVPLUS, I believe is the flag for Taranis+. It is in my Google drive folder , let me know if this works.
Cheers,
Sam
IdefixRC

Post by IdefixRC »

Thanks
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

frikzy wrote:
pienk wrote:

Cheers,
Bruno
Hi Bruno,
Hi pienk,

Hey there, are you still using your APM with Mavlink Telemety on your 9XR?

I am having an issue getting the APM to display telemetry on my 9XR.

What did you set you SR0_ and SR1_ to in order to get the telem data to populate correctly on the 9XR?
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hi, I was having similar problems (various screens unpopulated or showing as 0) using the OpenTx Mavlink Build on my FlySky 9x with SmartieParts 2.4 Board.

I found the following link provided the answer for my particular problem (although using SR1 values not SR3) :
https://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/w ... leshooting

Since then I found that within Mission Planner, Initial Setup, Optional Hardware, OSD, clicking on the "Enable Telemetry" button populated the SR1 entries automatically.
I then saved the new settings to the APM 2.6 using Config/Tuning, Advanced Parameter List, Write Params.

Although both methods use slightly different values, it didn't seem to make much difference on the TX display. In order to save 'bandwidth', I presume it is possible to disable the parameters which you cant display anyhow by setting the relevant SR1 parameter back to 0 although I haven't tried this yet.
I made a note of the SR0 values and made sure they remained at the 'initial' values when writing the new parameters.

This worked for me using a link based upon 2x 433MHz Air (i.e. without USB connectors) modules using 57 Baud, 64 Air Speed, Low Latency 33mS with Op Resend and ECC enabled. One is connected to the APM 2.6 Telemetry / Radio Port, the other being installed inside the TX and connected to the SP board's Telemetry connector.
The TX is set to use 57K baud.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Dave.
IdefixRC

Post by IdefixRC »

No, I did not continue with this given the lack of native integration in the taranis plus fw.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
LTMNO

Re: [MAVLINK] Input needed for MAVLINK ArduPlane / ArduCopter.

Post by LTMNO »

Hello Gents,
What are my options...
I have...
1)T9X with M128 running er9X (full telemetry mod with SP2.4 and TeZ board)
2)T9x with M128 running ersky9x for 9Xtreme
3)T9x with M128 running OpenTx (full telemetry mod with SP2.4 and TeZ board)

Also, XJT or OrangeRx OpenLRS

I Want to use OpenLRS and just get as much as I can with Telemetry...
I have read alot about 9XR radios and Taranis...but can I use 9X?

Thanks for your help.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Hi,
I have also problems to get data on the 9xr. (opentx-9xr-mavlink) 57k baud
I use 3dr Telemtriemodul, the modul is connectet as in the pichture. Is this right?

Did I need a levelconverter when i connect the rx too?

which config(parameters) did you use at the apm?

Thanks
Attachments
wire.jpg
hddhy

Post by hddhy »

hi,pienk,I have a atmega 2560 borad,I want it connect to the 3dr radio 433,but when I change the baud rate from 4800 to 57600,I can't change the baud rate,why?and how can I change the baud rate?hope you can help me,thank you!(my english not well,I hope you can understand what I said, :))
scotty562

Post by scotty562 »

Hello all. I just got mavlink on my 9xr using ulrs. Is it possible to set alarms for mavlink data? I can't find a way to do so.

Return to “openTx”