Power tools

Want to ask about that much needed test equipment? Looking for something new? Check in here!
ShowMaster

Power tools

Post by ShowMaster »

I bought a harbor freight lithium ion drill. It's battery is or charger keeps failing. Time to by a good one. Anyone have a reliable brand that has a good battery setup that's reasonable to replace or but spares? I use it for hobby and some home improvement. I see brands for hundreds of $ that have poor battery life ratings and expensive replacements. I'm thinking 12v bit I see 18v everywhere with expensive replacement batteries. My HF drill works well but the L Ion packs get cooked by the charger I think?
Sad as it does the job I bought it for. I do have a hitachi driver drill is really like and it's 2 packs hold a charge great. Just no chuck or clutch.
Maybe another hitachi?

Kilrah

Re: Power tools

Post by Kilrah »

What I've done with my old drill with dead nicd battery: open battery case, take cells out, shove an old, weak rc 4s lipo pack in there, drill a hole to bring the balance cable out, and there we go. Charge with the rc charger.

Sent via mobile
pmullen503

Re: Power tools

Post by pmullen503 »

I'd go for another Hitachi if you can get one with the same batteries and charger. I love mine. I had 2 old Dewalts with four packs and two chargers. It was really nice to have a both driver and a drill setup so you didn't have to switch. With 4 packs I always had a charged battery too.
ShowMaster

Power tools

Post by ShowMaster »

I like both ideas. Yes to a new hitachi for Xmas. Yes to a 3cell lipo conversion. I have the old drill battery cases. I'll see what I can construct.
I just fear storing it with lipo's in it?

Return to “Reviews”