any one thought about this for FPV?

Are you in-to First Person Viewing? Got an interesting hack/mod? Let us know!
kaos

any one thought about this for FPV?

Post by kaos »

I am setting up a whole FPV system. Not flying FPV yet. I don't know you guys already flying FPV with goggles whether you take off and land also using goggle or you take the goggle off for take off and landing.

I am thinking it would be nice to add a small camera on top of the goggle and to the goggle circuit. with a flip of the switch you will have direct view while take off and landing. Once it is air borne, you flip the switch and the goggle becomes the FPV view again. Also, if the FPV transmission get into trouble, you can always use direct view to fly easy.

Any one has any thoughts? doable? worthwhile?

Kilrah

Re: any one thought about this for FPV?

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:I don't know you guys already flying FPV with goggles whether you take off and land also using goggle or you take the goggle off for take off and landing.
Landing - Always with goggles
Take off - Always with goggles, except for hand launched planes if nobody's there to launch them for me.

Take off and landing is just as fun as the rest of the flight (or more!)

http://youtu.be/2wtg0klIGBE?t=1m11s
kaos

Post by kaos »

Did you crash the 1st time you use goggle to take off or land? I am trying get a feeling of how this thing will go. NO experience in FPV so far.

Darn it, keep showing off your Sbach. ;) I am already broke getting the FPV stuff now. :-S and erazz's PIPO. :mrgreen:

that vid is fun. Love it. BUT joined with a stick and paddle would be more fun. :D One step at a time. Let me get the basic of FPV 1st. ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope, I don't remember crashing anything. Actually a few years ago we did a public FPV introduction at our club, had 4 fully equipped planes for people to try on a buddy box setup, and we had some kids who had never touched a radio who managed to land on their first flight... They were easy planes of course, I don't think they'd have done the same with the Sbach ;)

Yep I had a lot of fun on those flights, awesome with no wind at all, too bad the light was c**p... got back from work too late and the sun was already down :D
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The first times, make sure you have a spotter/pilot with you.. also make sure you know the area very well, landmarks, etc
Very important, don't fly over people or property..
I don't do it yet myself, only with some friends that let me fly their plane.. but I already learnt those basic rules..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

kaos

Post by kaos »

Learn landmarks? Never see an arial view of my neighbor hood. ;)
Yes, I agree. need to find some no man's landing to fly these thing for sure. That is another thing I am planning on - where to fly them, especially the long range set up. ;)
Not only want to be safe for flying, also, more importantly, access to retrieve my plane if it goes down far away. ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:Learn landmarks? Never see an arial view of my neighbor hood. ;)
http://www.google.com/earth/index.html ;)
kaos

Post by kaos »

I knew that is coming right after I wrote it. :)
Well basically I have to drive 20 miles out to fly long range FPV. I am in a metropolitan area. Anything beyond a football field size area, I will be over some one's head.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Go for short range then... even it it doesn't look like it, in that Sbach flight above, I never exceeded 150m distance. Didn't prevent me from having fun though :D

I have to fix that TX antenna tomorrow...
kaos

Post by kaos »

That is why I want to get the DX4e. Sbach only comes with BNF. ;)
ONce I am good at wearing goggle, in the mean time working all the bugs out of the long range system, then the long range will be ready to go. :)
AND, THAT IS WHY I AM BROKE. AND PUT THE JOYSTICK THING ASIDE FOR NOW :( :mrgreen:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Again, as a first FPV plane I'd recommend something more tame than the Sbach - those aerobatic planes are fast and not very forgiving, expecially at those sizes!
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK, I have an AMX pro 64 mm 4S EDF jet (3 actually, 2 still only in kits form as spare parts ;) , one HK STinger 64 mm 3S EDF jet, one F-16 4S 70mm edf 1200 mm jet and a HK 4S 1200mm P-51 prop. all are foam planes. which you think would be better?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Uh... none? :D

Maybe the P-51, BUT it won't be nice with you when you stall on landing - which you WILL do until you get enough experience to judge speed.

You'd rather want a boring thing like this to start with: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=8359
Once you've got a few hours experience, don't have any problems navigating at this slow speed, can jugde speed /altitude properly and land where you want, you can go to the P-51 where you'll have to concentrate a bit more on the flying, leaving less time to the rest that has to be a bit "automatic" by then.
kaos

Post by kaos »

more planes? wow, I got my hands full already, besides those planes I mentioned I still have 7 cp heli and 1 Fp heli to attend to. Where am I going to find time to sleep. :)
Well, seriously, actually something like that is what I am thinking too. I am very comfortable flying cp heli even a little stunt. As for planes, Hmm , I am not going to comment on that. :mrgreen: That one seems perfect 2200 mah 3S lipo, that I have plenty for my 450 heli. :)

By the way, you have a RC loan available? with 0 interest of course! :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I can see that you can't handle all those planes. I have an idea. Send me some.... :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

:mrgreen: Not a problem. Once the long range FPV is set up. I will fly it right to you and land at your footstep. :mrgreen:

Hmm, satellite relay Tx signal, solar power! 8-) ouch! more money. ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

8 helis?? That's way too many for sanity, sell a few :mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

Among the 7 cp heli: 2 are my beaters, Align 450 clones, one is belt drive, one the Torque tube drive. I do whatever I want with them for practicing. one 450 has night light with floats, I fly at night and land on water. One 450 has nightlights wihout floats for general night flying. one 450 is being placed in a scale model also will be night light equipped. one is an Align 450 sport which I don't fly much. Cost too much to repair. ;) one is a walker 3G for indoor flying. the other one is a FP CB180Q. that is the one I started this hobby. That is a memorabilia. :)

so i don't know which one to sell. :mrgreen:
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I see no reason to sell helis. The more backups the better. Those dang things like the ground much more than my airplanes!
-Gohst
kaos

Post by kaos »

Try if your heli like water better than ground. :mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

Read some more reading about that HK AXN plane Kilrah suggested. Looks perfect for flying FPV and ,wow, up to 25 min fly time. A couple questions. There are reports about the motor and blades are not quite top notch. what motor/blades would you suggest to be equivalent and lasting? and what ESC to go along with it? The stock ESC appear to be below par. I have a couple Mystery 40A ESC at hand will that be too heavy(30g) for it? (these mystery ESC soft start is not good for heli, has a kick. I don't use them any more. But it is one of the lightest 40A ESC though.)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Probably not top notch, but they do the job.
Mine is about 2.5 years old, pretty much a relic by now (will replace it once I've finished my series of camera/transmitter tests that see gear taped everywhere on it), but still happily running the 100% stock setup. The motor has a magnet that tries to escape sometimes, but I just push it back in so that it continues to do its job :mrgreen:
Enough power to lift a GoPro, OSD and a 2200mAh pack with no problem.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Dang, you definitely need to set up a 0 interest RC loan. :)

I will separate the 2 aileron servo so I can do some aileron programming. Does it do fast roll?

Just received my Cyclone OSD. :) Goggle still on BK.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:Does it do fast roll?
Not at all. It's a quiet little thing for loitering around, not a sports plane :)

I've done some low flying the other night...

http://youtu.be/InvPk7i0C3A?hd=1
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK! OK! Your lure works. I will be flying FPV while on food stamp. Satisfied! :evil: :mrgreen:

I read on HK it can fly inverted. tried that ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, cause I wrecked the canopy long ago, carved the front fuselage to make room, moved the elevator/rudder servos to the tail, and now pretty much always have loose stuff moving around in the open space in front... so if I tried flying inverted, I'd for sure start losing batteries and other stuff that is usually better kept onboard :mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

sounds like the Swiss is getting messy. :)
The only thing I don't like of that plane is the canopy is black, can't put a cam there. Do you mount your cam in certain way that won't create much drag? (for any FPV plane) inside a clear canopy seems a good thing to do. Air is deflected.

Eventually, FPV will be placed on one of my EDF jet for sure. I am planning way ahead! :mrgreen:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope, always avoid canopies unless you really want the "realistic" look, in which case you should make your own.
A canopy will give you a blurry image and a ton of reflections. espacially those that come with kits.

On this one I used to put my small FPV cam on a pan/tilt mount behind the canopy, see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwjHAtMp2w

Now the GoPro gets the front seat with the clear view like on the previous vid, so in front of the canopy, holding with a piece of velcro... and a GoPro is all but aerodynamic! (that's gonna be sorted soon with another new cam...) :mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

hmm, I think I will make something like a gunner's port(like those on a bummer plane) with only lens exposed and still tilt and swivel.
The OSD can be turned on /off with a switch? i see it comes on and off.
Is that your '****' face at the end? :lol:

Return to “FPV Projects”