Add 6 pos. switch to early Taranis

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
butchalline

Add 6 pos. switch to early Taranis

Post by butchalline »

Here is a DIY way to add a 6 position switch to an early model Taranis. This idea was inspired by others and someone may have already done this, but here is what I did and it works fine. I do not have any pix or specs, but here is the schematic. I replaced S1 with my switch, but this should work by replacing S2 if you like.
another taranis switch.jpg

bertrand35
9x Developer

Re: Add 6 pos. switch to early Taranis

Post by bertrand35 »

For information, OpenTX 2.0 supports S1 to S3 replacement by multi pos. switches. The detection of the positions count (from 2 positions to 6 positions) is done in the calibration screen.
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

Thanks for sharing this.

Does anyone know if the new Taranis Plus model will come stock with a 6 position switch by default? If so, what is the default locaition for it (S1 or S2)?

I see Aloft is selling the switches in the USA already. It might be nice to install one of these in the same location as the new version.
butchalline

Post by butchalline »

Bertran35: I am confused (easily it seems).
What release of OpenTX 2.0 are you referring to?
On this page: https://github.com/opentx/opentx/releas ... EASE-r2923 the "latest" release is 2923.
On my Taranis the release is: r-2940 dated 14/2/2

Any clarifications would be appreciated...
Kilrah

Re: Re : Add 6 pos. switch to early Taranis

Post by Kilrah »

2.0 is not released yet, but will be in a few days.

Sent via mobile

butchalline

Still confused by revision numbers

Post by butchalline »

Thanks again Kilrah
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Now that 2.0 is released for general distribution I have installed it and am trying to set up the 6 position switch sold as a Taranis spare part.

I have installed the switch in place of S2 pot and calibrated it in radio setup. The calibration allows me to successfully see the 6 discrete steps.

I discovered that this seemed to make 6 new switches available, S21 thru S26. When I assign S21, S22 etc to activate flight modes, moving the switch does not change anything, the FM does not change in concert with the switch. It seems logical to me that it should, and the other normal switches work this way, but clearly I'm missing out some step in the setup process.

I also note that in the simulator in OpenTxCompanion the use of S21-S26 results in FM of 0. There doesn't seem to be a way to show the 6 position switch yet.

Is this 6 position switch support still work in progress or is there another step I need to take please?
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

I mounted my 6 position switch at S1. I selected multiposition switch in the hardware page.

It took me a couple of times to get it to calibrate to find 6 positions. My FrSky switch first detected 5 positions. Two of the analog outputs are very close to one another as the switch came from the factory.

Then I used S1 in my inputs. It seems to work.

I still had to use a curve to correct some output values for use with a PixHawk flight controller to select its flight modes, but it's mostly working.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

mpjf01 wrote:Is this 6 position switch support still work in progress or is there another step I need to take please?
It's supposed to be finished and working, but it seems the Sxy switches got broken since they were tested. Bug then.
pierrotm777

Post by pierrotm777 »

Can you add pictures please ?

Thanks for this share
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Kilrah wrote:
mpjf01 wrote:Is this 6 position switch support still work in progress or is there another step I need to take please?
It's supposed to be finished and working, but it seems the Sxy switches got broken since they were tested. Bug then.
Seems to be fixed now in 2.0.1, the 6 pos switch changes the FMs. Thanks for fixing this so quickly.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

In the radio calibration screen when I operate the switch I notice that the indicator momentarily moves to the top and then back to the correct location occasionally when I change switch positions. It is not consistent but suggests that while the switch moves between it's 6 positions it goes to 100%.

Is there compensation for this in the firmware (I don't see the FM changing to the 100% setting so I assume so) or do I need to build in a delay? if so is there a recommended time?
Thanks
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Yes, there is a small delay for this exact reason. The same delay now applies to all 3 positions switches
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hi. Is this delay programmable or baked in the firmware ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Another question... Not really using sliders and not wanting to remove s1 or s2 as I didn't like the placement for rotary switch there. So I used the LS Ana lines and placed in top between antenna and 3 pos switches. I eventually want to put a thumb stick and switch in and out S1 & S2 later as well which is another reason to not remove them. That being said. Is there anything that can be done for RS or LS fur the 6POS Switch?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No.
LTMNO wrote:I eventually want to put a thumb stick and switch in and out S1 & S2 later as well which is another reason to not remove them.
Then you'd be better connecting your thumb stick to LS/RS, and using one of the S1/S2 lines for the multipos switch.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Touché.

mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

bertrand35 wrote:Yes, there is a small delay for this exact reason. The same delay now applies to all 3 positions switches
I read elsewhere that someone has complained about this delay affecting flight control ability and is lobbying for its removal. How long is the delay and if it is removed is there another way of dealing with the 6 position switch matter?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I don't think it's a good idea to remove completely the delay on the 6-pos switch, sometimes between 2 adjacent positions, it returns to -100 in the middle during a very short time, this really needs to be avoided!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

bertrand35 wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to remove completely the delay on the 6-pos switch, sometimes between 2 adjacent positions, it returns to -100 in the middle during a very short time, this really needs to be avoided!
In 2.0.1 the delay is 150ms. I changed it on github, it's now configurable, between 0 and 250ms. But I am thinking about removing it completely and implement this:
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/1205
I think the 6-pos switch will always need the delay though. Which are the functions that needs the delay ... all the play functions, anything else?
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

The 6 position switch, by momentarily issuing a -100 signal between positions, could trigger a move to an uncommanded flight mode. Whether the flight controller in use is quick enough to react to the signal before it is countermanded by the actual change sought will depend on many factors I guess, but it would be unwise to assume that there would be no liklihood of an ill-effect IMHO.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I have set up the 6 position switch using my Tx and it works as expected. I just downloaded the models from the Tx to my PC using the "Read Models and Settings from Radio" button in OTC and notice that the FM switches have been changed in OTC from S21, S22 etc on the radio all to !L32.

Is there another way to get the data from the radio that doesn't involve changing the switches?
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Just a comment on the momentary spike. I would set that position to 'Stabalize'. You best solution.

mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Using 2.0.2. With the default settings the operation of the 6 position switch sometimes plays the sound for the 100% selection inbetween the selections for, say, positions 4 and 5. I had to set the delay to 300ms to stop that happening. Thanks for making the delay selectable.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”