S.Port GPS V2 doesn't work properly.

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
idfx

S.Port GPS V2 doesn't work properly.

Post by idfx »

Hi !

Just tried to use gps sensor as in topic. I did connect it straight to a new and freshly binded X8R receiver. The sensor was left in the fields with no metal around. Only thing I can read in my Taranis is the speed what is wrong. It shows bouncing figures fro 30 to over 2000. When I connect the battery to receiver (and gps of course) red led starts flashing quickly then twice slower (or opposite way can't remember). I do believe there is proper smart port communication as I got a speed figure after about one minute from connecting the battery. Any issue .. ?

Can anyone help please ?

Thanks

PNaz

Re: S.Port GPS V2 doesn't work properly.

Post by PNaz »

The FrSky GPS is supposed to get a fix in 30 seconds according to the specs. I found my takes well over 2 minutes to get a fix in an open space with nothing above it. Inside the house takes a very long time to fix the position. It goes through 3 phases of flashing lights. The first is a very fast flash then quickly changes to a medium flash as it acquires the satellite signals and when it has established a "fix" then it changes to a slow flash. Altitude from a GPS is not very accurate and speed is only reasonably accurate in a horizontal mode (speed over the ground). If you are flying straight up then do not expect any accurate speed measurements. You should not have any speed numbers until the GPS has acquired a fix and if the GPS is stationary than speed should be about 0. This GPS's fix does seem to roam around more than most while it is stationary so you might get small speed indications. 30 to 2000 is way too high. Less than 5 is more probable.

Paul
idfx

Post by idfx »

Thank you. I will try again. I understand I should read the figures going to screen with Latitude / Longitude and Rssi on the bottom ? (Telemetry screen by pressing Page button). On another screen I have set Speed / GAlt / Dist. From all of it I have only speed reading as I wrote. I don't expect accuracy from altitude and I have a Vario :) Need a gps to read coordinates and log my flight. Hopefully I can use this unit to find lost model but I don't wish this purpose anybody ;)

Thanks for your help. I am going to try again.
idfx

Post by idfx »

Next tests done ... Still nothing Paul. When I connect the battery it starts flashing quickly. After about a minute start flashing I would say medium speed. After that I start reading speed on Taranis screen. When my mate moved the sensor 2 m away the speed reading went up to over 4000. So something works and send data to Taranis. So .. I was waiting next 5 minutes and still no coordinates. I switch battery off then on again and next test it took over 3 minutes to stop flashing quickly and go to medium. Next it takes ages and never get fix in open space of course. Do you think it has so bad sensitivity or my sensor is just faulty ?
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

This should be obvious but do you have it correctly oriented. There should be an "UP" label on the side opposite the Frsky label. If you don't have that label then the side with the 1 cm. square flat bump in the heat shrink is the antenna. I have heard of one case where the label was missing.

Most GPS receivers remember their last position and which satellites they should expect to receive a signal from. If the receiver has never been turned on before or it has been a very long time (days or longer) or it was in a different place since it last received a signal then it will have to go through a long and complex set up of its position. Try leaving it on for longer and see if it finally can send the latitude and longitude to your transmitter. Without the lat. and long. all other data is meaningless. I think mine was on for 10 or 15 minutes before I received the first data. Since then it takes less time but still greater than the 30 seconds suggested by FrSky even if I switch it off and then immediately back on.

Paul

idfx

Post by idfx »

Ok :) You gave good example about the label ;) One day I couldn't start brand new grass cutter. Finally the "ON/OFF" label near the switch was sticked opposite way by the factory :)) Yeah I was thinking about it and did try with "UP" up and down as well. Left i for good hour yesterday and didn't help. I have nothing special to do because is windy and unflyable weather so I leave it again for 2 hours. Thanks again for your help and tips.
idfx

Post by idfx »

Did try over 2 hours test with no positive results :( Some moment I thought the receiver is faulty but tried on 3 different and same situation. I connected the sensor via Vario sensor as well to try. Still stuck on middle speed flashing and sending rubish speed figure. Have no more ideas.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

How old is your taranis? Maybe you need the update for the DJT. I had the same problem, when i updated my equipment, DJT and X8R, it worked as expected. My Taranis and X8R are from July 2013. The frsky site is down, so i have no actual link to the firmware update pages. If the site is not availible for a longer time, i can mail you the firmwares.

Bernd
idfx

Post by idfx »

ooops .. yeah my Taranis is from the first day when was avaible :) I did the firmware update but no tx module or receiver. Do you mean I should use FUC-3 interface cable to upgreade ?
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

FUC-3 should work. I did it with a RS232 cable.

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=4003#p58236
idfx

Post by idfx »

hold on ... :) GPS doesn't fix the signal so there is nothing about the Taranis :)
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Please share your solution here.
edit: Without an established S-Port Communication you will never see the slow blinking of the led, even if you have a fix - you can see this in the manual, where the LED-Signals are described.
idfx

Post by idfx »

I am sorry and hope you didn't take me wrong :) Ok.. from the beginning. I have set "speed" on telemetry screen. Start receiver and GPS together connecting the battery to ESC. The LED blinks very quick. Nothing happens on Taranis screen. Then after randomly 1 to 3 minutes the GPS LED start flashing twice slower and Taranis starts showing the speed figure (with error). When I move the sensor 2m left or right the speed reading on Taranis jumps to high value over 4000. So I would say there is definitely proper S-port communication. Hope you understand what i mean. I think it should go to step 3 and LED shell blink very slow and ... black hole :) Can not go further. If I will sort the problem I will write a post of course. I have got FUC-3 cable but never used it. If I have a time I will try tomorrow. Finally ..... that is why I said there is nothing about upgreading Taranis because the LED signals still shows there is no proper fix.

By the way thanks for your attention and help.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

No problem, you can interpret your observation also like this:

After 1 to 3 minutes you have the GPS-fix and the LED flashes slower. But the old X8R firmware cannot communicate with the GPS, so step 3 is never reached. Taranis shows only trash, firmware does not know, that there is a GPS-V2.

I am confident, after updating the firmware - everything will work as scheduled.
idfx

Post by idfx »

Yes you are right. Don't really now how yet but I will try to upgreade my receivers using FUC-3 tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
idfx

Post by idfx »

Still no progress .. I upgreaded my RX with the latest firmware from FrSky. GPS didn't change behaviour :) only way is to send it back and try another one.

Thanks for your help guys
idfx

Post by idfx »

Sensor is working properly now :) Just flashed my radio to last firmware r2940.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”