ER9x Telemetry Data

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
LTMNO

ER9x Telemetry Data

Post by LTMNO »

The following are for what is available for Taranis/OpenTx as I see this data available in an application that populates data in Taranis Radios with FrSky and a Teensy3.1 Board.

Data transmitted to FrSky Taranis:
Cell ( Voltage of Cell=Cells/4. [V] This is my LiPo pack 4S )
Cells ( Voltage from LiPo [V] )
A2 ( Analog voltage from input A0 on Teensy 3.1 )
Alt ( Altitude from baro. [m] )
GAlt ( Altitude from GPS [m])
HDG ( Compass heading [deg])
Rpm ( Throttle when ARMED [%] )
AccX ( AccX m/s ? )
AccY ( AccY m/s ? )
AccZ ( AccZ m/s ? )
VSpd ( Vertical speed [m/s] )
Speed ( Ground speed from GPS, [km/h] )
T1 ( GPS status = ap_sat_visible*10) + ap_fixtype )
T2 ( ARMED=1, DISARMED=0 )
Vfas ( same as Cells )
Longitude
Latitude
Dist ( Will be calculated by FrSky Taranis as the distance from first received lat/long = Home Position

From what I see in ER9x thru eePe this is what is available there:
A1
A2
RSSI
TSSI
Tim1
Tim2
Alt (mapped to Alt)
Galt (mapped to GAlt)
Gspd
T1 (mapped to T1)
T2 (mapped to T2)
RPM (mapped to RPM)
FUEL (mapped to FUEL)
Mah1
Mah2
Cvlt
Batt
Amps
Mah
Ctot
FasV (mapped to Cells) - this gives me the Lipo Voltage
AccX (mapped to AccX)
AccY (mapped to AccY)
AccZ (mapped to AccZ)
Vspd (mapped to Vspd)
Fwat
RxV
Hdg (mapped to HDG)
A3
A4
Gvr1 thru 7
SC1 thru 4

For the most part data is coming in... I am just wondering if much is different from the OpenTx and Er9x on the SPort side of data coming in from FrSky on the X8R?

The Project from Rolf Blomgren is just awesome... ( to be clear, I take no credit for this.. just asking if the information is available and code guys out there want to help make it work well for 9X or 9XPro instead of Taranis.
MavLink_FrSkySPort_1.3.zip

Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

LTMNO

Re: ER9x Telemetry Data

Post by LTMNO »

I just wanted to note that I did get it work with my 9X + TeZ + SP2.4 + XJT + X8R, you need to run in D16 Mode and have PXX enabled and have the Tx of the FrSky connector/wire to the Signal Pin of SPort on back of XJT Module.
Currently, I get :
FasV
Fwat
Mah
Alt

Hdg doesn't work
T1/T2 don't work
Cvolt/Ctot don't work either.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It will depend on the data IDs is the SPort data. Er9x only handles some of the SPort specific IDs, those that have/had sensors available. If an old hub sensor ID is used, this is handled correctly.
Can you obtain a list of the IDs being used?
It may be in the zip file above, I haven't had time to look at it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I had a chance to look at the code and think I've found the IDs.
I've posted a test version of er9x-128 here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598&p=64969#p64969.

I've added SPort processing for:
T1
T2
RPM
ACCX
ACCY
ACCZ
FUEL

The cells processing is already in, and I've tested it in flight with a real SPort LiPo sensor, there may be some special processing going on somewhere.

I'll look to add other IDs later.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hi Mike, many thanks for taking the time to do this...
I will test right away!
Update: loaded, testing and working..
Interesting enough the T2= is locked down for Temperature I guess.. as the APM(ArduPilotMega) uses this property for Arm and Disarm and sends a value of 0 or 1.
So when I try to set a switch to say if the T2 > 0 then say Armed. But when that goes into eepe it converts for a temperature... i think it is really cool for temperature but I do use that. I have the ability to change the program to use Fuel instead or some other property that might just be 0 or 1 in Er9x?

but nonetheless, its awesome and thanks... I will test the rest of the properties you added.
I only have 1 screen now with 6 properties at a time.
Didn't there used to be 3 Custom Telemetry Screens?

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Just an update, I haven't had too much success playing with the Teensy Code, but then again, I am a hacker/manipulator and not a coder... wish that was different ;-)
I will still plug away on it...

But, that being said, i do notice once and while that the Screens on the ER9x change randomly when i am flying and receiving Telem Data.
Its like something is getting switched or glitchy... i have to menu back and get to the main screen again while flying. Kinda dangerous, any thoughts as to what may cause that?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Two things to try for T2:
1. Just adjust the custom switch comparison value so eepe shows a telemetry value of 0C.
2. Use a SCALER with T2 as input, then use this in the custom switch.

Regarding screen changing, does this happen just when moving the sticks, or possibly when changing switches?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Thanks Mike, method 1 didn't work for whatever reason T2 is not pulling in a value..
T1 however is pulling a value. I have seen it hit 1.
Regarding the screens, i have been flicking switches back and forth and turning pots... can't make it happen...
It seems like it happens at some point when receiver telem Data... i will test with my props off.. see if i can duplicate.

I will lookup the scaler part.. not sure how to do that... some reading for the weekend.

Have a good weekend yourself!

Cheers.
bobarry

Post by bobarry »

Thanks for the info! I gave up on getting HDG on mine. er9x, jd-ioboard, frsky. I looked at the Mavlink code, but didn't think to see what eepe shows. Might work on it again since I still can't tell which way I'm flying. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
DwayneDibbley

Post by DwayneDibbley »

is it possible to adjust the Alt value in the telemetry screen, when at a height of 208m the telemetry screen shows Alt = 2218 m, is this just a missing decimal point?

I am running ER9X-MAV-R13 by 4ref0nt ( APM > FrSky > 9XR )
bazthewaz

Post by bazthewaz »

Guys I have a 9x with SmartieBoard running ersky9x-r220 with DJT / DR4-II wired for telemetry, so far so good. I'm get the RSSI and the DEBUG TelRxCount is incremeting so I'm happy the telemetry is working.

I have added GPS Ublox which is working with iNav and configured it with Uncentre BUT I'm not gettting any other telemetry values in erSky9x like

Alt ( Altitude from baro. [m] )
GAlt ( Altitude from GPS [m])
HDG ( Compass heading [deg]

Any ideas what's wrong ?

Plus can I get the long and latitude, Dominca Clifton shows on u-tube these feeding into Open9x - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahGlc3Tf40

Can this be done in ersky9x without FrSky Hub ?

Thanks

NB MikeB I think we worked together at HPA Poole back in 80s
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check you are sending inverted serial data in to the D4R-II. As long as you are sending correct hub format data in to the D4R-II, then you should get LAT/LON.
I did work at HPA!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bazthewaz

Post by bazthewaz »

Mike, you were spot on and I have it all working. I thought I'd set the inversion but maybe I didn't save it.

er9x is very impress so thanks for all the support and great code.

Thanks, Barry
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Hi er9x telemetry experts! Sorry I’m reviving an old thread here but hoping to get the latest er9x telemetry info...

About 8 years ago, I used a 9XR with the bi-directional telemetry mod (running OpenTX FW) and OrangeRxLRS Rx/Tx modules (running gitsly OpenLRSng FW) to stream raw serial MavLink data over the air. OpenTX at that time could decode and display lots of serial MavLink data on the 9XR screen (with mavlink build option).

Flash-forward 8yrs. Now I am using a multi-protocol Jumper 4in1 module in the 9XR as I have a bunch of planes/quads with different Rx’s. I have also switched to er9x (v822r) as it supports the 4in1 in my 9XR.

My questions are:
1. can er9x translate raw serial MavLink to display data on the 9XR screen like OpenTX used to?
2. If so, can it do that in the same 9XR m128 build version as supporting telemetry via the Jumper 4in1 multi-protocol?
3. And finally, if it can do all that, which is a good Rx to put in my quad to send raw serial (containing an APM MavLink stream) to the Jumper 4in1 for 9XR display?

Hoping most of these questions have been considered before!

Cheers,
Andy
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

1. At the moment no, I've not added raw Mavlink processing although it may be possible with the '128 (or '2561) processor.
2. If I add it then yes.
3. I'm not sure if there is a Rx that will do that. It may be worth asking on the RCGroups DIY multiprotocol module thread.
I do have a sketch for an Arduino Pro Mini that takes raw Mavlink data and converts it to FrSky telemetry (this goes in the aircraft). The existing er9x build supports receiving such data.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As far as I know there is indeed no combination that will get you raw Mavlink/serial through a multi.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

:geek: Ok, thanks for the info mike and kilrah.

Mike, it would be very cool if you compiled mavlink into your r822 build - because then I could at least use the 4in1 with my FPV quads (no telemetry), as well as being able to swap to my OLRS module for my APM drone, without having to re-flash the old OpenTX firmware back onto the 9XR!

Kilrah, I believe Crossfire, RFD900x, and OLRS can natively do serial pass-through alongside PPM, but of course they can’t talk to my Jumper 4in1. It seems strange that the old 900MHz Rx’s and the new Crossfires offer serial pass-through alongside PPM, but nothing else did in the meantime? I don’t know what’s been available in that time, but I really would have guessed there’d be others.

That said, aren’t FrSky “Smartport” rx’s able to natively pass through serial using specific smartport IDs? The ardupilot website seems to suggest the APM can either re-purpose FrSky messages (for some MavLink data display in the 9XR but no real serial pass-through) which is basically what Mike mentioned a promini can do; or use smartport IDs (for more complete serial download):
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/commo ... metry.html

If a FrSky smartport Rx could natively send serial MavLink through the 4in1 so that Mike’s er9x firmware can decode it to display on the 9XR, I’d buy a smartport Rx and I’d have everything I’m after without swapping Tx modules. I’m probably missing something though - for instance maybe the 4in1 can’t handle smartport?

Otherwise, I guess I can use a promini to translate some of the mavlink to FrSky messages as you suggest Mike, but it’s more airborne equipment (and no pass-through to PC/MissionPlanner), so probably just easier to swap my Tx modules over, if you can compile both features into the same er9x build.

Cheers for the great advice.
Andy
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

avrgandy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 am It seems strange that the old 900MHz Rx’s and the new Crossfires offer serial pass-through alongside PPM, but nothing else did in the meantime? I don’t know what’s been available in that time, but I really would have guessed there’d be others.
People have rather been working to get "plug and play" operation with popular gear instead, such as the below.
avrgandy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 am That said, aren’t FrSky “Smartport” rx’s able to natively pass through serial using specific smartport IDs? The ardupilot website seems to suggest the APM can either re-purpose FrSky messages (for some MavLink data display in the 9XR but no real serial pass-through)

If a FrSky smartport Rx could natively send serial MavLink through the 4in1 so that Mike’s er9x firmware can decode it to display on the 9XR, I’d buy a smartport Rx and I’d have everything I’m after without swapping Tx modules. I’m probably missing something though - for instance maybe the 4in1 can’t handle smartport?
This passes a custom protocol over smart port, not mavlink. It works just fine with a 4-in-1 but needs the appropriate decoding on radio side which I don't believe ER9X supports.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Pixhawk does send "passthrough" data using FrSky SPort protocol and er9x does support it, see this thread: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... 08#p151024.
It may be that other APM firmware also sends this, I don't know.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I've seen the ARM version did but didn't know the AVR one did too.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Once we had '128 and '2561 processors I was able to add quite a lot of things.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think that at least the m2561 version could behave quite similar to the other (more powerful) boards. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 am Once we had '128 and '2561 processors I was able to add quite a lot of things.

Mike
Ok,
- APM/PixHawk can send serial data to er9x via the 4in1 using native smartport ✅
- er9x can turn smartport stream back into serial data ✅
- er9x should be able to display Mavlink sent in the serial stream (when compiled in) ⏹

So if the Mavlink compile works, I’ll order a smartport Rx!! :)

But can er9x also direct the re-built serial to a 9XR pin somewhere, so I can also push it through a Bluetooth module or FTDI/RS232 to PC? E.g, I have done the “bi-directional” 9XR mod, so the module bay pin 2 (now a serial Tx) could be used, but also maybe the ASP plug or some other nicer pin can already be set to output serial in er9x?
This use of smartport telemetry with er9x would be awesome.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

avrgandy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 pm Ok,
- APM/PixHawk can send serial data to er9x via the 4in1 using native smartport ✅
Not sure where you have this from. The "passthrough" data is not the raw Mavlink data, but makes use of SPort user IDs to send data.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 am Pixhawk does send "passthrough" data using FrSky SPort protocol and er9x does support it, see this thread: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... 08#p151024.
It may be that other APM firmware also sends this, I don't know.

Mike
Got it from you.

The Arduino link calls it “native”:
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/commo ... metry.html
Last edited by avrgandy on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Seems something similar can be done using FlySky IBUS receivers? Not sure what’s required on the ground end though:
https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight/issues/2545

I get that these are not “true” serial if they use specific message IDs in the protocol to interleave the serial data into the downstream. I understand the new ardupilot smartport method uses the integer bytes within particular messages (with the same reused message ID, such as “message 99”) which are consecutively filled with consecutive bytes of serial data that er9x could pull out downstream (and that I thought true FRSky smartport Tx modules actually have an extra pin for). I know that there is also the simpler “send mode data in the tmp_2 message” D8/D16 method, but Ardupilot isn’t recommending that anymore as it only sends a few mavlink parameters (see link in previous message).

The smartport method could be used to send any serial data, not just mavlink or standard FrSky messages.

Anyway, er9x could separate the serial data from either smartport stream as above (or IBUS stream?), and that is what I understood when when you said “er9x does support it” [smartport]. And then output it on a serial pin.
I have perhaps jumped to the wrong conclusion?
Last edited by avrgandy on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Again it is not just "serial data", well it is but not mavlink.

Mavlink is too heavy to get good throughput that way, so the passthrough is a custom protocol tailored to work well in that case. If that was passed on then whatever you have behind would need to understand that protocol. Recreating mavlink packets from that data on the radio would probably not be practical, especially not on the AVR processors.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

Kilrah, I’m referring to this use of smartport for serial mavlink passthrough:

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/commo ... assthrough

I haven’t looked what’s under the hood there, but is that what you’re referring to? I thought it was just serial, because it says that OpenTX can just display it - which I took to mean in the way OpenTX displays true mavlink serial streams, like it used to with the “mavlink” build option. I suppose on re-reading it could be something else sent down.

It’s true Mavlink can be heavy, but it’s definitely not “too heavy” because it works fine with OLRS over big ranges! Granted the gitsly branch did a bit of message management, but it wasn’t necessary if you simply reduced the APM message rates.
avrgandy

Post by avrgandy »

So what is the prognosis? Not possible with smartport (FrSky) or IBUS (FlySky) and a 4in1? I guess I still have 2 options if they don’t work:
- flash OpenTX and use my OLRS modules (or buy crossfire modules) :(
- keep er9x, use OLRS modules, beg Mike to compile mavlink in! :)
Last edited by avrgandy on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes that is what I'm talking about, and nowhere does it say OpenTX can "just display it" - The decoding and display is done by a lua script running on OpenTX, there are links to some examples on the page... OpenTX does not even process that stream at all, that's the point of "passthrough", the FC sends packed bytes through the telemetry link, OpenTx just passes them through to the lua enviroment without processing for people to do stuff with, completely bypassing OpenTX telemetry handling.

FrSky telemetry has rather low bandwidth and the authors of that protocol wanted FAST updates, as in 15-20Hz.

Return to “er9x”