Guided model configuration

A fork of eePe. It's aim is to provide one tool that works with ALL firmwares!
Romolo
9x Developer

Re: Guided model configuration

Post by Romolo »

Yes and btw the association part color / channel color should make it intuitive.
Maybe I need to give possibility to print the screen...
About setting somewhere rx channel limit ... well it can be done... added in todo

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Not to me, PPM from sound card is not precise, then this needs to be fed to the 9x's trainer input, with scaling that will be incorrect due to the non-square output from the sound card - so the values you'll find in the program won't result in the same servo positions once programmed in the radio.
PPM input scaling set to 1x. obviously would need some testing.. And using bluetooth you would need bluetooth on the plane as well.. So the best choice would still be the sound card.. what could vary is the amplitude of the signal. the frequency of the pulses would still be the same.. that's what we need. if that wouldn't work, then flying models with the trainer feature would also not be possible.
Channel numbers - The whole point of the wizard is to make it simple for beginners, they will be lost if asked where to put what. Just look at the number of people who come here asking what to do about the channels because they don't understand a radio can have freely assignable channels...
I think the color labels that show where to plug what very clearly are great to guide someone.

Yes, it will be simple for beginners.. The big reason why all this development started was FREEDOM. I think we start to forget this?? People that flash the custom firmwares should be aware of that.. That's why they change??
To have fixed channels reminds of other very well known radios.. And in some of them you can already do that.. I've seen a futaba at the field that when one receiver channel died the guy assigned the stick to an upper channel..
Are we going backwards again here??

Just my 2c

Joäo

EDIT: Oh and it's not that people don't know where to assign the channels.. they connect the servos to the receiver and just have to tell the program which control is connected to which channel.. basic..
What people don't know and ask on the forums is about the mixing.. that's where this program comes in. tell it where you have your servos connected, select the profile you need and done.. model connected to computer, change configs for each channel (weight, S-trims, limits, reverse, etc), turn model of, flash tx, done.. ahh, no props on models when doing this.. ;)

Sorry if I'm a pain in the back side.. that#s me :mrgreen:
Last edited by jhsa on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

I don't call it going backward, people that know how to program a radio do not need the wizard, but people that doesn't know how to program get lost by channel. So we will supply them a prepared food, prepared as well as we can, and as good as we can.
If someone is able to "cook" then there is no problem in dragging mix in the channel they like.
I assure you that some beginner thinks that the aileron on an heli can only be connected to ch1 other way doesn't work : :o
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I just edited my post above.. added a few lines.. It answers your latest post..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It would be a super, super, super, super tool FOR EVERYBODY that way.. Let's Rock it.. :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:And using bluetooth you would need bluetooth on the plane as well.
Not at all, BT is between PC and radio. Then radio sends out over the RF module and plane receiver as usual.
jhsa wrote:the frequency of the pulses would still be the same.. that's what we need. if that wouldn't work, then flying models with the trainer feature would also not be possible.
No, the problem is that the sound card is limited and filtered to audio frequencies, which are way too low to generate a PPM signal with decent resolution and edges that are steep enough to ensure precision.
jhsa wrote:Yes, it will be simple for beginners.. The big reason why all this development started was FREEDOM. I think we start to forget this??
But too much freedom is confusing to someone used to being "guided" by a TX that does it "this way", we have many proofs of that. So yes, it goes "backwards" for the sake of hiding unnecessary complexity to people that are lost with it. The goal of the wizard is to make it as easy as possible for someone who doesn't understand a thing about *9x to get a model going. He can then look at the wizard's output and understand how it works. Once he understands enough to know what channel he wants on which output, he won't need/want the wizard anymore, he'll want to do it his own way.
jhsa wrote:People that flash the custom firmwares should be aware of that..
But it's far from being the case. Many (most?) switch to a custom firmware not after reading all the doc and deciding it's better for them, but because everybody tells them it's so much better on forums (seen many many of those on the French forum in the past months, including several who went back to stock firmware). And then they're completely lost. Those are the people the wizard is meant for, not people like us who can configure their model in 2 minutes without help. Even when the wizard is completed I won't be using it, because I'll want to do things my own way.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:EDIT: Oh and it's not that people don't know where to assign the channels.. they connect the servos to the receiver
But in the general logic the first question people ask is "which channel do I have to plug that in?" because every other TX tells you where to connect each thing - so they'll already be stuck there.
The colors do exactly that, try to apply that logic again - the guy configures his model, then all he has to do is look at the colors to know where to plug things.
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Kilrah wrote: But it's far from being the case. Many (most?) switch to a custom firmware not after reading all the doc and deciding it's better for them, but because everybody tells them it's so much better (seen many many of those on the French forum in the past months, including several who went back to stock firmware). And then they're completely lost. Those are the people the wizard is meant for, not people like us who can configure their model in 2 minutes without help. Even when the wizard is completed I won't be using it, because I'll want to do things my own way.
I agree and quote the highlighted parts: The aim of this wizard is to try to help completely lost users (and they are many).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I would use it, if I could prgram my models with it the way I want them to be (thanks Rob ;) )

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

The wizard is a starting point.

If the wizard shows what channel on the rx does what, it gives the user/new flyer, a starting point. There is no confusion. Does not matter what you want in channel order, you are not using the wizard. The new user will have a starting point. Not only does this help the newbie, but also us, to help them find their issue. If they did what the wizard told them to do, we already know how they have their rx/tx setup, we don't have to guess what they did.

First develop the wizard as a tool to help new comers. Then add the functionality of other things, don't go and try to appease everyone at once, focus on the task it suppose to do, then develop it into more.

It's a newb tool. So far it's looking good.

I like the fact it takes your channel order preferences and translates them into the wizard setup... veddy nice. Taer, etra, whatever.

Only thing that would be good is the default plane, throttle, rudder and elevator. one servo each. not a vtail.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well, I would like to use the wizard..The ones Who wouldn't like to have such a helping tool raise your hands now.. Of course It could have both a simple mode and an advanced mode for the rest of the people.. what's wrong with that?.. if you are a brginner (like myself) just choose the simple mode.. Only because it targets the beginners doesn't mean that it couldn't target the rest of us.. It's such a shame that a great tool like this one would be that limited..

Just my 3452 cents

Joäo

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:well, I would like to use the wizard..The ones Who wouldn't like to have such a helping tool raise your hands now..
Me! I prefer doing it my own way. Plus even if it goes all the way to support complex glider-type mixes, I'll still prefer thinking of the setup myself, making sure I understand how my model works and setting up the mixes correctly. There's a drawback to automated things - you don't question them, while you could actually learn something useful. The wizard is meant to help people who are lost, not to do the job for lazy people who could do it by themselves but don't want to learn :D
jhsa wrote:Of course It could have both a simple mode and an advanced mode for the rest of the people.. what's wrong with that?
More time spent on developing the advanced version for people who don't need it, instead of spending it on other new features that would be useful to more people :)
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I think keep it simple. The first thing a new person is likely to do is set up a trainer your airplane. The wizard should default to that. 1 servo aileron, elevator, rudder, and throttle. Pick Futaba or Spektrum channel order.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well, I rest my case.. at the end of the day it's up to the programmer.. but there are some features that I would like it to have even if they sound crazy.. being able to add mixes or set up channels was not the only reason I would like it a bit more advanced and it would involve other mods as well. but that's another story.. :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Well, what's the whole story then? Maybe with more detailed context opinions would change :)
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

cre8tiveleo wrote: Only thing that would be good is the default plane, throttle, rudder and elevator. one servo each. not a vtail.
I agree, I was a lazy programmer: can be the order 1 servo elevator - 1 servo rudder, vtail, 2 servos elevators - 1 servo rudder good ???
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

You're not a lazy programmer, overwhelmed, yes, lazy, no.

If it's a wizard, it should ask.

Model Type : Airplane , Heli, Glider

Airplane: Three channel or Four?

Three Channel : Throttle, Rudder , Elevator
Four Channel : Throttle , Aileron, Rudder, Elevator

Etc., once a basic model is chosen, then it goes to the wizard screen. There you could change the tail type to V. Add a channel for a servos if needed, a gear channel, flaps, etc.

The new user wouldn't have setup their plane for two servos for elevator (I don't even have any that are, except for advanced models, which new flyers shouldn't be even trying :) ) *these would use a y again, or even a vtail mixer, as comes with some HK models like the parkjet)
Two servos for aileron is usally setup with a y cable. BNF, PNP models that someone purchases usually are setup that way if they have two servos, they use a y cable. Non of the models I've seen from shops that people buy to fly as new pilots use two servos on two seperate channels, that is again an advanced feature, that will totally confuse a new flyer. KISS, Keep it simple silly.
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Let's make our preferred nagger happy:
mcw5.jpg
http://code.google.com/p/companion9x/do ... ev5%29.exe
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

That looks really good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
slimtom

Post by slimtom »

Not sure this is the place to say this, but when I use the wizzard, it does not take my receiver order (AETR. ...,...) into account and always uses the same channel distirbution.

Other than that - it's a great tool ! Better than templates alone.
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Open source; the gift that keeps on giving. You guys are slightly awesome.
Claudio73

Post by Claudio73 »

ciao, volevo salutare tutti i partecipanti al forum. Sono nuovo, e un nuovo possessore della radio e avrei una domanda da fare sperando in una risposta :D . Ho un problema ma non so da cosa dipenda. Ho istallato la radio in un modello già bello che collaudato. Ho fatto tutti i settaggi....ho volato e tutto ok. Il giorno successivo ho riacceso la Tx...poi Rx e il servo di un alettone va a fine corsa...e no da più segni di vita...why? Ho spento e riacceso e tutto alla normalità. Ho riprovato un paio di volte e il pronblema si è ripresentato. Logicamente non ho rischiato e ho riportato tutto a casa. Ho provato a casa , ma no ha più dato problemi.....A qualcuno è capitato? colpa del servo? della ricevente??? della trasmittente? Grazie
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Translated to English :)

hello, I wanted to greet all the participants of the forum. I'm new, and a new owner of the radio and I have a question to ask hoping for an answer: D. I have a problem but do not know what depends. I installed the radio in a model already proven that nice. I made all the settings .... I flew and all ok. The next day I cycled the Rx and Tx ... then the servo of a wing goes all the way ... and no more signs of life ... why? I turned it off and on again and everything back to normal. I tried again a couple of times and the problem has come back. Logically, I do not have risked and I brought it all home. I tried it at home, but no longer had problems ..... Did it happen to someone? fault of the servo? Receiver?? the transmitter? thanks

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Welcome to the forum.
What transmitter do you have? Taranis?? And what receiver?? It was only one servo causing the problem?
-----------------
Ciao, benvenuto nel forum.
Che trasmittente avete? Taranis? E che ricevente? E 'stato solo un servo che causa il problema?
Forse meglio si utilizza il "google translate" e scrivere anche in inglese ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “companion9x”