ERSKY9x Rev. B1 User Area

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKY9x Rev. B1 User Area

Post by MikeB »

Clivew: I'll check the timing for driving the LCD. It maybe that I don't give a long enough pulse to the lcd when writing to it. This processor is soooo much faster than the Meag64. I have a delay programmed in, but I may not have changed it when I increased the processor speed. Something for tomorrow now.

Edit: Have you got the SPLASH screen disabled? It looks like I rely on that to set the contrast from the EEPROM setting, a slight oversight!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

You nailed it in one!
The splash screen was disabled by default.
Turning it on solves the problem!

Clive
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

P.S. While you're on the case Mike,
it would be nice if the backlight came on at switch on for a short while I think?
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I tried it both ways...with the RX off as well as on. I'll check it again to make super duper sure. Yeah, if I don't need the alarms I'll only go from Tx on the module to the Rx pin on COM1...that works for me. I'll check it out in a little while.

BTW....are you on metric time over there...you on the spot with replies.
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Telemetry all working both ways, but transmitter won't switch off with the DJT module in place, wonder why?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Interesting. How have you done you telemetry mods, are they wired internally, or do you have a cable from the back of the DJT?
My test system has the hack, non-telemetry module, switches off fine. We have a soft power facility, but need to detect when the power switch goes off. Just wondering if the serial is supplying enough power to the DJT, when the power switch is off, to upset the detection.

Mike.

Edit: Just plugged a DJT in (as well as the hack module), powered off OK both with and without telemetry connected.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Internally Mike.
It is odd. Just unplugged serial port, same problem. Tried V8JT module, still won't switch off
with module in place :?
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Here is the Power off circuit to look at.
PowerOff.PDF
(101.12 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
If you look at J6 , the two pins labeled SW , are the power switch connections.

What mods are done for the DIY ? all you need now is the , Ground , V+ , RXD , TXD connections. No pullups , or pulldown series /resistors.

Some how one of your connections /mods is leaking power to the other side of the power switch, So when the switch turns off , the SOFT power
circuit cannot see the change , ans stays on.

I plugged my DJT in to a "stock" radio , and plugged into the external serial port ... power off works fine...

Another option is to supply power to the DIY through the 2 pin connector beside the Speaker connector.
-Brent
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If it is not seeing the power switched off, then it is probably seeing a logic 1 on PC17, RF-POWER. There could be some leakage that makes this appear high, it wouldn't take much. I'll try enabling a pull-down resistor in the processor, this will put no more than 50K on as a pull-down, but might be enough to get rid of any leakage.
If you can measure the voltage on pin 5 of J6, when you have switched off, that would be useful, pin 3 is the battery voltage and pin 4 is ground.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Pin5 J6 sits at about 1.3v module fitted, switched off (but not off, no shutting down message)
Goes to .2v without the module, and switches off. Also switches off with spektrum module fitted.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A logic 0 is below about 1.0V, and a logic 1 is above 2.3V, anything in between is anyones guess!!
I've put a new binary available for download, there is an internal pulldown resistor on that signal to try to make sure it goes off.
The backlight is now turned on at power up for the splash screen and then 10 seconds more. The contrast should be set even with the splash screen disabled.
I've changed some of the sound code, ready to get the audio from er9x ported.
I've also added a couple of things to the general EEPROM settings. I'm accumulating the used battery capacity, and write it to the EEPROM when you switch off. So we should be able to see how much battery has been used. just getting this working, at present, I think I will need to create a BATTERY screen that displays this sort of thing. At the moment it is on the STAT2 screen, pressing MENU on that screen resets used capacity to zero. I'm thinking I will do the same for a total power on time. Since there is a diode between the battery and the voltage displayed on the main screen, I also display (an estimate of) the actual battery voltage.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

I just found a crude way of making it switch off.
I put a resistor across the supply to the DJT module.
It now draws as much current as the Spektrum DM9,
and switches off every time!
Sadly Mike the pulldown didn't do it.

Clive
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

here's one of interest. The radio has been turning on and off fine using my Frsky, FS-TM002 and FS-TM001 modules.

I am trying to setup the wireless trainer using the PPM signal coming out of a Flysky V2 Rx bind socket.

I took the FS-TM002 module out of my friends radio and put it in my ERSKY radio since his module is bound to the plane we want the trainer setup for.

The radio wouldn't turn off. When I removed the module, it turned off. Don't ask why but I decided to hold the bind button in and then the radio turned off normally.

His module FS-TM002 module should be exactly the same as mine...no mods to either yet with his in the radio I need to either remove the module or hold the bind botton in for the radio to shut down.

Quick question...is the trainer function working?
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Hey Mike ,
As a Quick fix..
How about if you hold the EXIT key down for 5 seconds , you kill the soft power for a second
This should allow for proper shutdown., and allow people with these other modules to power off.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

@Clive, Disconnected my hack module, and tried a DJT, all switches off fine, I'll do some voltage measurements. What value resistor did you fit?
@Reacher: Are you using the r41 .bin version with the pulldown resistor enabled?
I may need to implement at least a 'FORCE SHUTDOWN' function for this as a temporary measure.
Trainer function is not quite right, I'm permanently outputting a PPM stream to the trainer jack, so you can't use it as a master (yet). This was a test mode so we see the PPM coming back in on a different processor pin. I'll see about implementing the trainer properly. Up to now I've been coding to make sure the hardware is working correctly (or not!). We are now moving on to proper functionality.

@Brent: I'm wondering if we need to increase the value of R73 with the internal pulldown enabled. The internal pulldown is nominally 100K. If we change R73 to 56K, then we would reduce any leaking voltage so Clive's 1.3 volts would become 0.83V. To guarantee seeing a logic 1 the the Rf voltage would need to be at least 3.6V. Limits of pulldown are 50K and 175K. At 50K, the the RF supply would need to be 4.9V minimum, At 175K Clives 1.3V would become 0.98V (0.99 is a logic 0).
I'll see about the EXIT key idea.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

150 ohms Mike. Took total draw, board + DJT from 120mA to 170mA. (board + DM9 is 170mA)
The contrast issue is completely fixed, thanks!
Did think about putting a w/w pot in place of the module, and seeing what range of current
draw it would switch off over ;) Grammar never was my strong point!
Last edited by Clivew on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Mike, I am using r39. No big deal on the trainer stuff. I have it working with my other radio and his so I'm good to go. I'm only using the trainer setup to get him some air time on his 26cc ultimate. He hasn't flown for about 15 years so he's flying his 40 trainer to get the rust out but he's not ready for prime time on the barnd new Ultimate.

I'll see if I can get the new bin loaded after dinner.

OH...now when we load a new binary file our models stay intact?
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The Model settings are stored in the 8 pin external EEPROM.
So changing the program should not effect the Models...

But if the model format changes , then ........things might need fixed...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've only been programming this chip for 4 months, and I'm still learning about it!
I've just realised that the I/O pins default to pullup resistors enabled, and if you try to enable the pulldown resistor with the pullup enabled it ignores you!
So we have a pullup on the line anyway and no pulldown - working on it.
Just checked the voltage on the RF-power line, with around 8V supply, and the power on, we only get around 2 volts on the signal, not the 2.3 for a guaranteed logic 1, or the 2.7 of the zener. So the 10K doesn't supply enough current to get the zener up to its reference voltage.
Interestingly, the radio current consumption drops from around 180mA with the hack module to 120mA with the DJT, I don't think I like the hack module.

If you have the (serial flash) applet in place, then you have a tab on the SAM-BA screen with SerialFlash on it. If you select this, you need to run the script 'Enable Serial Flash', then you can read the model data and store it on you computer. The general configuration is in the first 8K, and each model is in succeeding 8k chunks. If you read from address 0x0000000 for a length of 0x022000, you will read all the currently stored information.
If you want to go back to programming the flash after doing that, reselect the Flash tab, then run the script to enable flash access, this loads the applet for programming the flash that was automatically loaded when SAM-BA first ran.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I installed r41. I still have the issue with the one FS-TM002 module not letting the radio shut down correctly. The models stayed intact.

This doesn't really affect me at the moment since this is not a module I would use...although it would be nice to swap it in to my ERSKY radio when I want to fly the bipe...but not a big deal.

However it is a bug.

-----------------------------

Now...where's that confounded bridge?....I mean serial flash applet. I did a search but I'm not sure what I'm really looking for.

-----------------------------

And guys...man you knocked this baby outta the park...just a supurb effort.

Thank you very much!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, r42 is now available, this (hopefully) fixes the pullup/pulldown issue on the RF-POWER detection.

Clive: Worth trying without your extra resistor, the pullup was driving current into the module!

Brent: We still only get around 2 volts when the power is on, I tried a 3s lipo (11.8V) and it only went to 2.2V. According to the datasheet for the zener, we are way below its best operating current. In future we could fit either 3.0 or 3.3 volt zeners, they should boost the voltage to a guaranteed logic 1, and still protect the processor from excess voltage. We seem to be seeing a logic 1 OK on this batch of boards (at 2 volts).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

You've done it Mike!
Well done indeed! :D
I'm happy to change a zenner if neccessary.

Clive
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

It's good over here as well with r42...radio shuts down as it should.

Tomorrow looks like a flying day...gonna give her a run.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok got Sam-ba installed, used the the new zip file and was able to connect to my board on com5 using XP.
I'm beginning the journey .
SM
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

Put my beta board in tonight.
Had a minor issue with the upper right screw hole, it had to be "pulled" to the left to allow the screw to go in.

Powered it up and the (stock) display is noticeably faster. The little images of the stick move much faster.

I do have a slight issue though, The image on the display is shifted to the left and there are some junk bits on on the right edge.
The shift is just enough to put the vertical line in the trim indicator right against the screen edge.

The "junk" bits are static, they never change when screens are changed. I don't recall any issue with the stock firmware, never had ER9X on this tx.

First thing I will try is to re-flash the firmware, but I have not done the software setup for that yet.

Thoughts?

Pat MacKenzie
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Pat, check this post for the answer: http://goo.gl/BupSZ

Regards

Christian
"There's only two things that excite a man, expensive toys and real expensive toys."
-- Red Green
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

Thanks,
I seemed to recall something about that :oops:
I did look for the menu item, but nothing in the rev that came pre-flashed on the ERSY board

Had another issue, the alarm starts beeping after the radio has been on for a while.
The battery is low, reading only 8.4 volts, but the alarm is set for much less.

Again reflashing with new firmware is in order I am sure.

Pat MacKenzie
cre8tiveleo

ERSKY9x Rev. B1 User Area

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Pat, reflash, and a lot has changed already, many things have been fixed, it is a thing of beauty.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2svlrp
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Pat: I did have two version of the firmware, one for each type of display, when Brent originally flashed the boards. I've now made a single version with a menu option. The alarm is the 'inactivity alarm', it wasn't resetting on user actions!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Mechcondrid

Post by Mechcondrid »

hey anyone got a line on a optrex screen thats transflective and if not will a transmissive optrex screen work?
other than that the board works beautifully as far as i can tell!
Oh! i also been running a 9.9v lifepo for a tx batt and i haven't had any issues at all

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”