Slave channel control

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
bobferguson

Slave channel control

Post by bobferguson »

When setting slave it asks for the number of channels. I have tried setting it to 8 channels. I have mixes setup on my slave but when I transfer control to the slave my flaps channel 5 is still active on the master and not the slave.
So my question is what is the selection of channels on the slave for. :?

Kilrah

Re: Slave channel control

Post by Kilrah »

It determines which channels from the slave radio are sent through the trainer cable. You still need to configure the master radio to use them. The "Trainer" feature only handles the first 4 channels (main flight controls) the master receives, if you need more you need to assign them in the mixer with PPMx.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

I setup the slave for 8 channels. and on the master I added a mix of R 100% PPM8 switch(SH↓) but my flap stays at about 0%. Is there anything else I need to do. I see the mix get highlighted on the master mix screen when I transfer control
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Looks good. You need to make sure whatever PPMx you selected has a mix with the right control configured on the slave's corresponding channel.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

It appears I can read channel 8 with R PPM8 100% switch(sh) but R PPM7 or R PPM5 don't seem to read the ppm values. I have checked the slave and they are the same mixes except channel 5 is the flap switch and channel 7 is SD. On channel 5 I can change it to R PPM8 no other changes and I get gyro control from the flap switch that is mixed in on the slave channel 8. I have checked and tried everything and I am at a complete loss now. I hope this makes some sense. Your help is much appreciated. I love opentx when I get it working. :)

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What do you have in the mixer on channel 5 on the slave radio?
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

Kilrah wrote:What do you have in the mixer on channel 5 on the slave radio?
Channel 5 has the same three mixes as channel 8 except for the switch used.
Attachments
slave.jpg
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

Does anybody have reading ppm5-8 working on their system.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

Here my master model for review of my mixes for reading ppmx
Attachments
master.jpg
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Aha! Now that's helpful. On the master the PPMx line always needs to be the LAST one on the channel, so as to Replace everything above it when it's active.
As you have it there, it Replaces nothing (as there's nothing above it), then the rest gets added to it, giving you a mix of both the trainer and slave.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

I moved the PPM lines to the last item for each channel. But I have the same problem I seem too be able to read channel 8 via R ppm8 100% but channel 7 & 5 don't work. I changed channel 7 PPM8 back to PPM7 but while reading PPM8 works reading PPM7 doesn't and the only thing I changed on the channel 7 mixer line was PPM8 to PPM7.

By the way thank you for your help.
Attachments
master.jpg
Last edited by bobferguson on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I'm out of ideas. What radios do you have (you didn't say if that was 2 Taranis or if there was a 9x or else), and what firmware version is each of them running?
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

Kilrah wrote:I'm out of ideas. What radios do you have (you didn't say if that was 2 Taranis or if there was a 9x or else), and what firmware version is each of them running?
Oh when I selected slave I said 8 channels and the rest as defaulted.
They are both Taranis radios and running the latest firmware 2923 / 2014-01-08
Could this be a bug and how do I report it.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

pmackenzie has found the same problem on PPM5 on rcgroups so I guess it is a bug.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

I found the following on another thead that believe you were on. I did the following since my model file started on a 9XR so to get a clean system I re-setup the eepe file file as per the following. I now have channel 7 working though it operates in reverse so I just read PPM8 on channel confusing but it works so I have working flap control on the slave. But I still have a problem with channel 5. So my patch was to add my gyro mixes to channel six on the slave and on the master channel 5 I read PPM6. It works. Also confusing to remember why it done that way. But I have flaps and gyro control on my slave. I just loose my gyro gain control but that is ok I don't adjust the gain anyway.
I am just thinking if I remove the rev channel 7 on the slave if things would be ok on channel 7 with the flaps. Will test that.
So I assume channel PPM5 is a bug that needs to be reported and hopefully fixed in the next minor release before the big one as I will hold off on it until it has been out for awhile.
I bought the the second Taranis partly becuase I wanted gyro and flap control on the slave so I now have that.

Thanks for the help it is appreciated.

Bob

Solution:
under companion9x
generate an new empty eeprom-modell file
burn this emty eprom-modell file to transmitter
read this eeprom back from transmitter to companion9x
open under companion9x the old eeprom with the modells
copy all modells to the new empty eepromfile
burn it to the transmitter again
then both Transmitter run with their different modells and the Test Teacher PPM1 to PPM 8 are ok PPM5 also ok now

don´t no why but only this helps
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

I took the inv off channel 7 on the slave and now channel 7 reads correctly on the master. I just have to remember why the slave is different.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I don't understand. There is no way I can reproduce the problem.
Helle's problem is due to companion having a bug, but it only affects the 9X with particular options, Taranis should be OK. If you do everything on the radio and don't use companion it should be OK.

Can you post the EEPROM of both radios here when it doesn't work?

I'll load them in my 2 radios to have the exact same setup. Please mention the options you've selected for your firmware in companion.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

Kilrah wrote:I don't understand. There is no way I can reproduce the problem.
Helle's problem is due to companion having a bug, but it only affects the 9X with particular options, Taranis should be OK. If you do everything on the radio and don't use companion it should be OK.

Can you post the EEPROM of both radios here when it doesn't work?

I'll load them in my 2 radios to have the exact same setup. Please mention the options you've selected for your firmware in companion.
I have loaded my eeprom file. I use the same on both radios. Model 19 is the master PPM5 test model. Model 23 is the slave model.
I appreciate you taking the time to check this out. I am running the latest firmware 2923 / 2014-01-08 on both radios. Channel 5 is used for gyro control. channel 6 is gain, channel 7 is temp gyro control on slave, and channel 8 is flaps.
Attachments
My model Taranis current 0112new.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

You might want to wait while I re test my models. While channel 5 R PPM5 100% still doesn't work my flaps are not working correctly now either so I am just re testing, I changed my mixes from 3 line mixes per switch to one line and now things don't work correctly and I am not sure why. Also I have no ailerons so I screwed something up. I may have to revert to a older eeprom file. I will keep you posted. Sorry for the screw up. I should have retested before sending you the eepe file.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

I have load a working eepe except for channel 5 R PPM5 100% Not sure about channel six. It's the same file for both radios. Model 18 is master and model 23 is slave. I hope you can duplicate the problem. I also noticed that I have to remove the inv channel on the slave. It appears it inv twice.
Attachments
My model Taranis current 0113 3 line newest.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I can duplicate PPM5 input not working on the Taranis indeed. It however works on the 9x as opposed to what Helle reported, so I'll wait for his eeprom file before going further.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

I am glad that is not just me going mad. This is my first model set up a slave Taranis so just thought I was doing it wrong, I never thought of this kind of bug in opentx. Well everything appears well for the moment but it means upgrading to a 8 channel rx for my next model so I have a spare channel. Any idea how long before a fix is released. I hope it is before the big release since I would rather wait till the dust settles on that release being so big and new learning curve. That you for taking the time to look in this for me.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

Fixed in release 2940 thank you for fast fix.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”