GPS HEADING info on er9x/FrSky ANSWER!

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
bobarry

GPS HEADING info on er9x/FrSky ANSWER!

Post by bobarry »

Remember all the chats about getting the HEADING on a er9x/FrSky? I 'knew' the answer all along but was too dumb to use the info that was in my head. A GPS does not have a compass! Sitting still it has NO IDEA of your HEADING.
I looked thru the source code, which is way over my head, but found no indication of heading from the GPS. It was listed under a VFR_HUD area, and I assume that is from the APM's COMPASS.

Therefore its not a GPS value for the er9x. I thought it was an omission from the software. (Sorry Mike)

Now, if there is a way to get this data sent via FrSky telemetry, it would be nice. But I'm not going to worry about it. As long as my RTL works I don't really have to know its heading. :)

Kilrah

Re: GPS HEADING info on er9x/FrSky ANSWER!

Post by Kilrah »

bobarry wrote:A GPS does not have a compass! Sitting still it has NO IDEA of your HEADING.
I remember mentioning it in your thread!
bobarry wrote:Now, if there is a way to get this data sent via FrSky telemetry, it would be nice.
Your ioboard simply needs to send this value in the GPS heading field.
bobarry

Re: GPS HEADING info on er9x/FrSky ANSWER!

Post by bobarry »

About the time I finished this note I started thinking about trying to adjust the source code to do that. I saw the Heading data mentioned in the VFR_HUD portion and may get lucky. Still trying to figure out the "switch" in the source that kicks the program into the debug mode. Then I can experiment & learn.

Return to “er9x”